[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How do I write captivating characters ?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 3

File: 1483168603186.jpg (262KB, 1147x767px) Image search: [Google]
1483168603186.jpg
262KB, 1147x767px
More specifically - characters that are beloved or end up being the 'favorite' of the audience.
Or, in other words, characters that get a lot of fan art or that people relate to.
Is there a certain way to go about this or do I just set characters in and hope people like them ? Help me, please !
>>
>>8982265
>wanting to be famous

lol this nigga
>>
>>8982530
Or, y'know, I just want to write characters that people actually like because I don't have a lot of self-esteem in my own ability to write.
Besides, who doesn't wanna be famous nigga ?
>>
you mean teenagers really, those are the people these characters appeal to the most. For that, you make them exactly what every teenager wants to be, irrelevant to adults, good looking, ultra competent and dismissive to authority figures.
The simpler the character and the more you repeat their character troupe, the better they get.
>>
>>8982650
>famous

Literature ain't the place for that, bro
>>
Having 2 things: empathy and wit

Something autists don't have.
>>
>>8982678
Being famous or well-known isn't my primary goal, I was just stating that everyone wants to be famous at least a little bit.

>>8982663
I don't mean that I want to pander to an audience, but I see what you mean, yeah.
>>
First, the character MUST be damaged. Second, it must not be their fault (however, feel free to make them complicit in perpetuating their damage. If they are complicit, they are more likely to be a villian. But if they are damaged, they can be redeemed.) Third, show them naked -- no, not undressed -- although that couldn't hurt. But dig down to their REAL feelings -- which can take a long, long time. Four, be patient. (Thanks. I feel a lot better about my characters now.)
>>
>>8982663
This

>>8982265
Do you seriously want to write garbage, though?
>>
This thread.
>>
If you have to ask, you can't do it.

It's like asking, How do I paint a masterpiece?
Do I like use a lot of blue, or...?

The only answer to the question is in yourself. If it isn't there, then you don't do it.
>>
>>8982265
write yourself as a character

then you rewrite doing the exact opposite of what you did before

there you go, a non-faggot and cool character
>>
>>8982265
Show their inner world without telling us exactly what they're feeling. If they're nervous, what is their physical nervous tick? If they're angry, do they punch a wall, bite their lip until it bleeds, scream out, bottle it up until their chest hurts?

Give them a fatal flaw, and during the first quarter of the story show them in their lives keeping that flaw going. At the end of the first quarter, send them on a quest that forces them to confront that flaw. Show it wrecking their life in the second quarter, until at the end some revelatory bit of information allows them to fight it. Show their struggle through the third quarter, let them start winning, and when they overcome it at the end of the third quarter, push them to confront the "true" antagonistic force of the story, whether that's a person, government, concept, whatever. Let the reader watch the character learn and grow. Make sure they have a positive trait, their actions are explained, and they're relatable.
>>
>>8983201
^This thoughtful reply
>>
File: 1466743209000.gif (2MB, 250x250px) Image search: [Google]
1466743209000.gif
2MB, 250x250px
>>8982265
>How do i make good art
>how do i make people feel emotions through my art
>how do i inspire people through my art

mother fucker that's the magic of it all. It's hard and always different. It can't be mass produced or created through some formula.
>>
File: 1484291148126.jpg (34KB, 490x333px) Image search: [Google]
1484291148126.jpg
34KB, 490x333px
>>8982735
>everyone wants to be famous at least a little bit.
>>
>>8984706
>It can't be mass produced or created through some formula.
bullshit, we have mass produced art that is very predictably successful
you can't move everybody all of the time, but you can move enough people most of the time
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.