[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Great books written by female authors

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 4

File: Donna-Tartt-the-Secret-History.jpg (67KB, 1024x1668px) Image search: [Google]
Donna-Tartt-the-Secret-History.jpg
67KB, 1024x1668px
I recently read pic related and was blown away, though the ending was a bit shite. Please remove the methodological goggles through which you view the world and its events long enough to recommend books THAT HAPPEN TO BE (not because they are) written by female authors. My problem, and thus my reason for making this post, is that I now have one book in my library of some 500 books written by a women (a book that deserves its place, mind you), and I wish to explore the possibility that maybe, just maybe not all women authors are shite. Please, I implore you, post the best you've read. I'm not a cuck, a gender traitor, or a gril (although I do find it sad that this prelude is now customarily required of these type of posts), however, I only wish to expand my appreciation for female authors.

Don't let me down.
>>
>>8978982
Uh, get what?
>>
The Bell Jar
>>
>>8978984
then the answer is no, you haven't gotten it yet. a lost cause.
>>
>>8978995
That girls cannot write books? I read a 500 some odd page book that suggested otherwise, and you're posts are not convincing enough to convince me that the meme is real.
>>
>>8978956
>happen to be women but not because they are women
this is fucking stupid. why try to cloak that you want books written by women? as if you're ashamed that you want books written by women. fuck sake.
>>
Well even if women are innately less capable of writing you're statistically bound to find outliers. It is genre lit but I find Anne McCaffrey to be a solid writer.
>>
Virginia Woolf desu

But the Secret History is one of my fav books for sure, its very cozy
>>
>>8979007
no, dude. not that women can't write, but that you begging for women specific books is fucking annoying. read what sounds good, what looks good, enjoy whatever it is. don't force the fucking woman meme. if it's a good book the author doesn't fucking matter. none of us go around saying "recommend me some books written by men pls". it's fucking obnoxious. if you want to read lit, do that. if you want to mince around faggotly and request gender specific literature, then fuck off.
>>
>>8978956
On the Subjugation of Women
by John Stuart Mill

His wife wrote it
>>
>>8979008
Because I wanted actual recommendations and not shit posts like yours. I know what people like you think of books written by women, but what I don't know are those books written by women that are worth a read. I'm not cloaking. I'm just trying to distinguish myself from those people who forsake talent for congenial identity traits. Of course, this would require presupposing that women can actually write though. I was just looking for recommendations outside of the typical Middlemarch, Brontes, Jane Austen line, that's all.
>>
White teeth by Zadie smith

Visit from the goon squad by Jennifer Egan

Frankenstein by Mary Shelley

Handmaids tale by Margaret Atwood

Left hand of darkness by Ursula k leguinn

If you liked the secret history read the goldfinch
>>
>>8979027
>then fuck off
I would but you (You) have thus recommended zero (0) books as of yet. I realize your way of viewing things would presuppose that their is no gender bias in the estimation of what makes great literature great, which there may not be, I dunno (... ?), but for the sake of this post, which is what you are replying to, please indulge me by replying with a "great" book written by a women that I can then read and then judge. That would be more helpful.
>>
File: 25489025.jpg (27KB, 316x475px) Image search: [Google]
25489025.jpg
27KB, 316x475px
Lispector
Yourcenar
>>
>>8979056
RECOMMEND ME SOME GREAT LITERATURE! BUT NOT BECAUSE IT'S GREAT LITERATURE!
>>
If this isn't a troll OP:

Virginia Woolf's The Waves and Marilynne Robinson's Housekeeping are two of the most beautiful novels I've ever read. Prosaically magical.

Mary Gaitskill and Cynthia Ozick write great essays.

Marina Tsvetaeva and Anna Akhmatova are two of the greatest Soviet poets.
>>
>>8979027
This
>>
>>8979077
Actually not a bad idea.
>>
File: _20170115_195206.jpg (138KB, 666x932px) Image search: [Google]
_20170115_195206.jpg
138KB, 666x932px
>>
>>8979127
Edit to this: forget le guin, she a shit meme
>>
>>8979130
forget the rest too without exception it was all written by one woman or another
>>
>>8979055
bless you for a real, quality answer. most people on this board would struggle to name one women writer they enjoy beyond JK Rowling or someone who has wrote a "classic" (Shelley, Atwood, Harper Lee, Toni Morrison)
>>
Charlotte Bronte is great
>>
>>8979000

here is a thread asking for "good German authors"
>>
File: Untitled.png (422KB, 854x439px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
422KB, 854x439px
>>8979162
When BTFO, call him a fag

nice.
Thread posts: 25
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.