[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Any recommendation better than HP Lovecraft?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1

File: Sadkerm.jpg (85KB, 625x833px) Image search: [Google]
Sadkerm.jpg
85KB, 625x833px
Any recommendation better than HP Lovecraft? I am currently reading his short stories and call of Cthulu. I am starting to like his overarching themes more and more. Do /Lit/ lovecraftians have any more recommendations? Preferably longer book/series.
>>
>>8975909
Literally anything is better than lovecraft, even Stephen King.
>>
>>8975915
What's the reason for saying so? Help me understand.
>>
>>8975915
No.
>>8975909
Yes. Try Clark Ashton Smith for cycles of short stories and Robert Howard for longer works.
>>
>>8975923
Oh wow, Robert Howard also wrote the Cthulu mythos book? Thanks!
>>
>>8975923
Ps. So HP Lovecraft isn't a bad writer? like >>8975915 is saying?
>>
Horror doesn't really work too well in longer formats like novels/series. There are some good ones here and there, but you're better off sticking to novellas and short stories.

If you want a full-length novel, I would recommend checking out T.E.D. Klein's The Ceremonies, as well as his collection of novellas, Dark Gods. His stuff is Lovecraftian without being a mediocre imitation of the original, and the more contemporary settings are a nice change of pace.

I would also suggest checking out Lovecraft's essay "Supernatural Horror in Literature" where you'll find mention of many of the authors that influenced his work. Writers like M.R. James, Arthur Machen, and Algernon Blackwood are seriously worth reading and in many cases better than Lovecraft imo.

Thomas Ligotti is a modern favorite among horror readers and his writing is definitely a progression of the Lovecraft tradition. His 1980's works are closer to straightforward Lovecraftian horror, but he gets more abstract with his later works.

Robert Aickman is another author I highly recommend, but you'll have to throw away any preconceptions on what "horror" is. His stories are utterly bizarre and sometimes frustrating, but he essentially created his own brand of ghost story that is unmatched.
Thread posts: 7
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.