[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is Umberto Eco /lit/ ?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 4

File: umberto eco .jpg (187KB, 851x1280px) Image search: [Google]
umberto eco .jpg
187KB, 851x1280px
The Name of the Rose wasn't really my jive but Foucault's Pendulum was great. Personally, I've enjoyed his nonfiction essays on semiotics and his short pastiches more. Why is he not as popular?
>>
His name means "Umbrella Dolphin"
>>
>>8970538
In Serbian?
>>
not as popular as who? i think he's pretty cool. turns the Protocols of the Elders of Zion into "The Prague Cemetery" and doesn't afraid of anything.

also he wrote a short story called "Granita" that was a GMILF parody of "Lolita".
>>
File: im-sorry-dave.jpg (28KB, 324x557px) Image search: [Google]
im-sorry-dave.jpg
28KB, 324x557px
>>8970596
>Granita
Thanks m8, was a pretty funny read
>>
File: auIMGP0003edit.jpg (165KB, 1200x339px) Image search: [Google]
auIMGP0003edit.jpg
165KB, 1200x339px
Eco's the man. His last one was fairly slight, but overall you have to be impressed with his total output.
>>
>>8970534
The man baby.
>>
>reading italian dan brown
>>
File: lol_alucard.jpg (44KB, 704x396px) Image search: [Google]
lol_alucard.jpg
44KB, 704x396px
>>8971413
the funniest thing he wrote in my opinion was notes of editors who had rejected famous books. one of them was going through De Sade's "120 Days of Sodom" at random, and "rejected. I found a six page argument for force over political expediency, and then a diatribe on the uses of power in relations with women, and a ten page rant about the power of the clergy. what people want today is sex, sex and more sex."
>>
Eco is dank as fuck. If you're ever looking for a really quick and comfy as fuck read then pick up his collection of essays (how to travel with a salmon, or something like that). It has some absolutely hilarious essays that are also very easy to read.
>>
>>8971455
A couple of questions.

Is The Key to The Name of the Rose worth getting? I was wholly satisfied when I first read The Name of the Rose but I'm planning to reread again soon and have been wondering if it will enrich the experience.

Secondly, how is The Island of the Day Before? I grabbed Baudolino to read for my third Eco novel because I heard less than positive things about Island... but I might go back to it if it's worth it?
>>
>>8972019
Travelling with a Salmon was hilarious and marked Eco as a goddamn partrician. Especially in contrast to his other works.
>>
>>8972088
The Key is very handy (translations/souring for all quotes, references, etc.). I've never regretted having it. Island falls apart as it goes, plot mired as it spirals into those medieval lists Eco likes so much, but even for him, the lengthy exegeses gets surreal and the plot lines are buried. Still, I don't regret reading it. You always learn so much with Eco even when he's making it a slog.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.