[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Learning Latin

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1

File: horaceyoung.jpg (38KB, 298x310px) Image search: [Google]
horaceyoung.jpg
38KB, 298x310px
I'm getting into Roman poetry, and I think it obviously is enhanced by being read in the original Latin. I remember a post being made here a while back about learning Latin, but don't remember the details. Do y'all know the best way to learn to pronounce Latin, and familiarize myself with the grammar and vocab?
>>
>>8970102
get wheelocks

it'll take care of all of your q's
>>
You're a meme if you think you can learn a language well enough to read native poetry without years and years of study
>>
wheelock is solid as the other guy said, it's what we used when I learned it in school
>>
>>8970334
I'm using Wheelocks right now in college
>>
>>8970102
Lingua Latina is a good (informal!!) starter to "thinking" in the language (rather than constantly translating in your head). If you want a solid grasp of grammar, this is NOT sufficient; you can't get around the practice that you need if you want to lock down your conjugations and declensions.

"Latin: an intensive course" is used by multiple ivy league classics departments, as is the multiple volume set "reading latin" by jones & sidwell. The jones book seems like a compromise between Lingua Latina and "intensive course," as it tries to get you reading in Latin ASAP, but has more actual exercises to be completed and reviewed.

Personally I just started my grammar reading with a standard old school beginner textbook from like 1900 (free ebook online). For basic conjugation/declension/grammar structure, almost anything will do, I think. Only now am I looking to try one of the above two textbooks ("intensive" and the jones book).
Thread posts: 6
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.