[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I just started this book and it is my first by Burroughs but

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2

File: burroughs.jpg (10KB, 184x274px) Image search: [Google]
burroughs.jpg
10KB, 184x274px
I just started this book and it is my first by Burroughs but holy fuck I like the junky aspect but it's really fucking difficult to follow is this a common reaction?
>>
>>8969509
He chopped it up. There's a few narratives going on at once. It'll make sense after a while. I got bored of it though, so only got halfway before reading something else.
>>
>>8969509

It's not meant to have a coherent plot. Take it episode by episode.
>>
>>8969521
that contradicts >>8969519
>>
Cities of the Red Night
The Place of Dead Roads
The Western Lands

Are just as crazy but not written in the cut-up style.
More people should read them, they're great.
>>
>>8969523
This poster >>8969521 doesn't know what he's talking about. There are narrative threads that run across all Burroughs cut-up books. You piece the story together from fragments, and the story you piece together will be different from the story I piece together. To just read individual episodes as individual episodes, it's absolutely fucking gibberish about nothing.
>>
>>8969591
that's what I thought it just wouldn't be a feasible book if it was as >>8969521 said
>>
File: lol_burroughs.jpg (78KB, 465x383px) Image search: [Google]
lol_burroughs.jpg
78KB, 465x383px
OP: imagine you downloaded a tv series, except it was ripped from a DVD by a crazy person and is in pieces. not just out of order episodes - there's a scene here from the start, one from the end, and it's all out of order.

if you watch them all, eventually you can make some sense out of it.

by the way, did i ever tell you about the man who taught his asshole to talk?
>>
>>8969601
it's not about plot. there isn't a hero who goes on a journey of discovery and comes home wiser at the end. it's about ideas and images. the County Clerk was based on an official that Burroughs met once, possibly the most boring man to have ever lived, and Burroughs parodied this to see how far he could push it.

not a finer man in the Zone than old Bill!
>>
>>8969509
happened to me while reading Soft Machine just stick with it

if you like it enough and still don't understand it just find some scholar's analysis

or get high
>>
>>8969673
well love the options but probably go with the former
>say no to drugs
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.