[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is Hyperion worth reading?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 3

File: IMG_5226.jpg (57KB, 230x400px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_5226.jpg
57KB, 230x400px
Is Hyperion worth reading?
>>
>>8969267
I enjoyed it but Dan Simmons is a nut job. In one of his blogs he talked about being visited by an angel in his dreams which told him to take an interest in the white power movement.

All in all, it's a messy composite of several sci-fi ideas but he blends it reasonably well and the characters have good development. He explores the concept of pain a lot in it.

He's a psycho though.
>>
I liked it enough that I'll probably read the sequel later this year but I wasn't totally blown away by it like some are.

>>8969289
Nails it pretty well. Link to the blog post?
>>
Only the first book is good. The second one is meaningless political bullshit and typical sci-fi drivel. The magic of the first book lay in its intricate and beautiful worldbuilding, and all of that is lost in the second one. I couldn't even get through half of it.
>>
Go back to your containment general
>>
>>8969296
http://www.dansimmons.com/news/message/2006_04.htm

Possibly that one. Not an angel but a time traveler but there's plenty of racist stuff.

I read the sequel as well. It wasn't as good as Hyperion. Only pick it up if you were really into it, I'd say.
>>
File: Hyperion.jpg (532KB, 1500x1137px) Image search: [Google]
Hyperion.jpg
532KB, 1500x1137px
>>8969289
Everything by Simmons is worth reading. Definitely don't miss Hyperion - it's fun.
>>
Yes, the worldbuilding is excellent, to the point where it completely overshadows the story. I don't remember fuck from the Endymion books but I remember a giant space tree and a ship that achieves FTL by murdering everyone onboard
>>
>>8969318
Was the tree the thing associated with the Shrike? That was fucked up.
>>
>>8969321
Oh you mean Shrike's Tree of Pain. I was actually talking about a giant organic tree that circles around the star and waters itself with passing comets.
>>
>>8969330
Yeah I was thinking of the tree of pain, with the bodies impaled on it alive so you could hear their screaming for miles.
>>
I keep saying it whenever these threads pop up. Read Hyperion/Fall Of, don't read Endymion/Rise Of. The latter two books of the cantos are some of the worst written shit I've ever trawled through. Pulpy badly edited dogshit masquerading as space opera.
>>
Yeah that was a great book.
>>
>>8969267
Yes, hyperion and the fall of hyperion are beautiful novels.
>>
>>8969267
Literally no book ever written is worth reading.
Go to /mu/ or /tv/ instead, kid. Thank me later.
>>
File: 2000176.jpg (39KB, 260x420px) Image search: [Google]
2000176.jpg
39KB, 260x420px
>not reading the superior Hyperion
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.