[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Translations, Int Édition

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

File: dostoievski_crime.jpg (32KB, 304x499px) Image search: [Google]
dostoievski_crime.jpg
32KB, 304x499px
Does anyone here have experience with the Russian classics in French or Spanish translation? I've been lurking long enough to have made a decision about which English translations I want to get for a handful of the XIX Russians, but I wanted to know if anyone could recommend any translations into the Romance languages, or if you would even recommend them?
>>
>>8968720
Bump, wondering what's the recommended Spanish translation for Odyssey
>>
OP here, bumping my own thread.

Really it's curiosity that makes me ask this. I'm fluent in Spanish and French, but I've always considered translations to be more geared towards an English-speaking and -reading public since there's a larger market (?) for it; but I'd never considered to read the classics in a language other than English. I did try to read Kafka in French a couple of years ago, but apparently the standard Kafka translation is mired in editing and copyright problems, and the one other translation I read made Kafka sound like Hemingway with its "simple and terse" rendering.

Then again, as another anon argued a couple of weeks ago, the great 20th Century writers who were influenced by the Russian masters most likely read Garnett's translations, so it would behoove anyone interested in them to read hers (at least the reedited versions) for at least a couple of texts.
>>
>>8969196
Found this discussion about a Dostoïevski's French translator if you're interested :
http://www.etudes-litteraires.com/forum/topic18516-quelle-traduction-pour-dostoievski.html
>>
>>8969219
Thanks for that link. I found an article from a literary review where the writer compared 6 selected passages from the Gallimard/ Folio and the Livre de poche editions. I wish more reviewers would be as helpful as that.
>>
>>8969298
It's real work, I wish that too.

There's a version by Léon Brodovikoff on UQAC site, if you want to give it a try :
http://classiques.uqac.ca/classiques/dostoievski/crime_et_chatiment/crime_et_chatiment.pdf

And a text by Markowicz about his translation :
http://larepubliquedeslivres.com/une-repentir-sur-crime-et-chatiment/
>>
>>8969340
Thanks again. I don't know a lick of Russian outside of recognizing a handful of Cyrillic characters and some wordplay I gleaned from Nabokov, but I like reading about people's translations and their interpretations of the text. There was an article where Vegliante spoke about his translation of Dante for Gallimard and his rendition into a semi-structured alternating verse which gave him the freedom to improvise while also forcing him to keep it "flowing". That being said, his edition comes with the original facing the translation.
>>
>>8969383
You're welcome, sorry for not being more helpful.
I also like bilingual editions when I can get my hand on it, but it's not easy to find. Though it's a very different reading, very demanding. I'm a Philistine, I wouldn't do it all the time.
>>
>>8969914
I used to be able to do it more frequently. I remember reading the first three volumes of Proust in the original and Spanish translation. I would read 50-or so pages in the original in the early morning and then read the same passage in the translation during the afternoon. I did the same with Dante and Flaubert. Nowadays I have a different mindset when I'm tackling a book, but back then I thought I could do anything. Remember Stephen's ridiculing his old habit of reading a little of a lot of books?
>>
>>8969298
Could you share the link, please?
>>
I read dosto in spanish(my mother tongue). I would recommend you to stay away from Porrúa, as they tend to translate even names to vernacular. (I.e. Ivan=juan, Piotr=Pedro)
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.