[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why the FUCK aren't you learning another language?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 318
Thread images: 28

>>
How, in duolingo? You could as well roast a frenchman and hope that eating him will give you the knowledge of his language.
>>
>>8963708
私は日本語を学んでいます
>>
>>8963726
>2017.
>Learning chink runes.
>Not learning a European language.
>>
>>8963722
That "quip" was probably better in your mind.
>>
>>8963726
ore mo, yo!
>>
>>8963708
>>8963722
>>8963726
>>8963734
>>8963735
Pero vaya que cosa tan loca, caballero.
los monolinguos jeje
>>
Parce que j'sais le francais comme enfant.
>>
File: orthona_language.png (15KB, 545x335px) Image search: [Google]
orthona_language.png
15KB, 545x335px
>>8963708
>2017
>Using words in a line to write with
>Not using symbols in a grid to write with
>>
>>8963744
Qué estás diciendo, payaso.
>>
>>8963708
I speak English. You learn my language, not the other way around.
>>
>>8963762
>proud of being monolingual
>>
>>8963769
It's not so much pride as expectation. I expect you to adhere to the way I speak.
>>
>>8963782
*sharts*
>>
I want to learn another language, but have no idea which.

There's a bunch of languages in Europe, but as I'm not thinking of moving to any non-English European country, I don't see much point in learning one.

Was thinking Chinese or Japanese. I'd like to visit Japan or Greece.
>>
because i got lucky. i grew up bi-lingual. we learn 1-4 other languages in school.
>>
>>8963762
English is literally savage tier. Shitty vocabulary, its grammar reveals an understanding of the world that is no deeper than that one holded by a retarded person or a baby. It's the kind of language neanderthals would have hypothetically used.
>>
>>8963782
That's a rather solipsistic way of thinking. My mother tongue is English too, but I'm not so stupid as to think that my language is the measure of all. But I guess that's more of an American way of looking at things than anything else.
>>
What's better, French or Spanish? my guilty pleasure are romance stuff, I do my serious reading in English
>>
>>8963708
Should I learn Latin?
>>
>>8963708
Gonna buy a book in Serbian soon just to be able to read it more fluently, don't know jack shit in terms what words mean, but hey, it's a start.

Other than that, I'm not American, so I already know two languages.

>>8963784
Just pick one that sounds cool then if you're not going to have any major use for it.
>>
>>8963788
You speak it terribly lol.
>>
File: image.jpg (48KB, 640x640px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
48KB, 640x640px
>>
>>8963782
>not learning Russian solely so you can read the classics in their untranslated form
>>
>>8963804
I do it in purpose
>>
>>8963805
Now write a short poem in it
>>
>>8963708
Because it takes a lot of time and effort that I'd rather put into other things.
>>
>>8963796
Yes. Latin should be obligatory for anyone with half a brain.
>>
>>8963808

Im doing that right now.
>>
>>8963708
cause i want to get back my 23 and me first to see what i would like to learn
>>
>>8963726
Very weird to use 学ぶ here, just say 勉強します, you won't sound like some old-fashioned freak.
>>
I've been learning Russian for about 7-8 months now. I'm finally at the point where I can ready Harry Potter in translation while leaning on a dictionary. So from here on out I'm taking words from it and throwing them in an anki deck as I go. My main goal with Russian is reading so I don't care much about my production skills. I'm also terrible at listening but watching trash tv shows is helping with that.

A strategy I would recommend is start with Duolingo to drill in the super basic stuff, then abandon it for a grammar book and anki decks. Once you have a good grasp of the grammar go back to duolingo solely as a vocab builder for best results. Although beginning to read with dual readers and stufc would probably give better results at thus point. On top of all this consume whatever you can in the language. For Russian I browse threads on /int/ and двa.ч, as well as reading the news in Russian.
>>
>>8964093
So far French has been incredibly easy to learn. There's also a lot of high quality French media to read, watch and listen to which makes it a lot more enjoyable. I'm going to finish Duolingo then maybe buy some grammar books and read basic fiction.
>>
>>8964101
it's easy to learn because a lot of the conjugation are not necessary

now if i ask you distinguish between the uses of
1st form past or 2nd form past and more-than-perfect or even anterior future while giving examples i don't think you'd be able to do it properly yet, in fact a large percent of the population DON'T even know how to use them because unless you want to write stuff that sound like it was written 500 years ago you simply don't need them.

subjunctive and conditional aren't necessary unless you want to write theater pieces
>>
I fucked 4-5 girls in a month in southern france and didnt speak a word

i probably wont ever learn or try to become fluent.
>>
>>8964179
I'm going there (and around Europe) in December with a friend. Where to meet girls? Should I stay at hostels and then just go to bars/clubs at night?
>>
>>8963744
Tienes que volver btw
>>
File: 1484183218183.png (277KB, 624x364px) Image search: [Google]
1484183218183.png
277KB, 624x364px
What its the best app system program, for Android, to learn languages?
I already know Duolingo.
>>
>>8964093
Can you recommend some Anki decks?

>>8964063
They're both applicable. Don't be a pedant.

>>8964198
Anki
>>
>>8964215

There's a 2000 Russian verbs anki deck I like. It provides conjugation and aspects.

Outside of that I make them myself for vocab I find when reading
>>
File: ithkuil-grammar.png (9KB, 300x176px) Image search: [Google]
ithkuil-grammar.png
9KB, 300x176px
>2017
>not learning Ithkuil
>>
>>8964231
This one?

https://ankiweb.net/shared/info/822208674

Do you know any decent grammar guides besides Duolingo? Especially for reference.
>>
>>8964023
Why?
>>
>>8964246

Yes.
Get the penguin Russian course.
It's an excellent easy to read book on Russian grammar that will get you up fo speed on the most basic vocab as well
>>
>>8964378
Thanks!
>>
>>8964378

Also it's easily found in PDF form.
>>
>>8964240
Nice thing about Ithkuil is that, hypothetically, it would enable you to actually think faster.
>>
What should I learn, Russian, Greek, or Latin?

I already speak a romance language so I feel like Latin would be the easiest, but I also would like to talk to people in foreign languages too.
>>
>>8964547
Russian.

You have no use for Greek or latin aside from the ability to impress people with them. Russian is still equally as impressive.
>>
>>8963792
French has some beautiful poetic ztuff, but im a sucker for spanish. Pure beauty, and imo more emotional
>>
>>8964593
Latin and Greek would help me with reading classic literature. On the other hand, Russian would help with russian lit. I can't decide
>>
>>8964622

Be nice to be able to speak the language you learn however.
>>
>>8963734
>2017
>learning Eurocuck language
>>
>>8964535
>subscribing to Sapir-Whorf nonsense
You know what actually makes you think faster? Not being retarded
>>
Latinitas hoc filo deest. Lingua mea materna est anglica et linguas Germanorum Hispanorumque disco praeter id Romanorum, paret tamen linguam Latinam esse formosissimam ac (quale potissimum est) patricissimam. Antiquos, cum imposuerint Latinam ut fundamentum totius sententiae subtilis et probae, recte egisse puto. Indecorum est gentes mundi hanc linguam clarissimam reliquisse! Ita facientibus, non solum ab animis antiquiatis, sed etiam ab scriptoribus tam recentibus quam est Iacobus Joyce (id est omnes qui in scola latina didicerunt) abrumpimur.

Si mea Latina alicubi est falsa, ut eam corrigatis quaeso.
>>
>>8964872
quod est ipsum frigus et delicatus
>>
>>8964872

I just realized, "id" should be "eam." Quod peccatum stultum!

>>8964886

Quis ais?
>>
File: 1447638989371.png (202KB, 391x497px) Image search: [Google]
1447638989371.png
202KB, 391x497px
>learned a language for 10 years
>visited its country for 2 years
>still either have to move there for 30 years or read endless grammar books in order to perfect it

At least I can read meme books now
>>
>>8964916

Which one? Chaynese?
>>
I already know all the ones that matter.
>>
>>8963744
>tfw i can recognize velaposting from miles away
>>
>>8964093
You sound motivated, I've been "learning" Russian for a little more than a year know, I want to make it my fourth language. Unfortunately I don't find enough time to study it, so I just take a couple of lessons a week with Duolingo and watch some Russian videos. I also listen to Russian popular songs and learn their lyrics, such as Кaтюшa. I'm definitely not fluent yet and am barely able to grasp a couple of word in a speech.
Any advice regarding motivation?
>>
Because I have a hearing disability.
>>
I am learning English at the moment. Pronunciation is difficult ;_;
>>
>>8965085
Just get the basics down, then mimic what you hear from the dictionary read alouds. English pronunciation is too complicated to waste time on rules. Grasp it as you go, or listen to pronunciations.
>>
>>8965085
good luck
>>
>>8965085
What language are you coming from?

Also, what >>8965110 said. You'll get it fine by just listening overtime.
>>
>>8964593
learn latin, then russian. if you still have the desire in a few years, learn greek (which will be much easier after russian and latin).

i learned latin in high school using the cambridge latin coursebooks—since they don't lean on rote memorization like wheelock's, et al.

i learned russian using the "golosa" textbooks. i'm not sure if i recommend it without a teacher or classmates, however.
>>
>>8963708
Because French is a useless language and the only one that's interesting to me.
>>
>>8965065

Motivation comes and goes for me to be honest.
There are days where I do little to no formal study (anki, duolingo, reading a book), but as you say I'll always find time to try to read some news in Russian or watch a video or something. I'm progressing slower than I could be.

I can't motivate myself to get better at listening at all. Listening is very demoralising to learn because so little sinks in at first. My main goal is to read in Russian so I content myself with focusing on that.
>>
>>8963708
I-I-I am though.

>>8963734
Europe is becoming less and less relevant. Russia and China, on the other hand, are growing in relevance year after year.

It would actually make more sense to study Portuguese and Spanish and focus on South/Central American growth opportunities than a European one (possibly even African growth potential - which is what the Chinese gov't is doing, btw).

Not to mention, Japan, China, South Korea, and Russia are really the only competition American technological innovation has.

Sorry Euros, it's true. (England and Switzerland are exceptions, or at least partial exceptions, but that's also why they aren't a part of the Euro.)
>>
File: JtYnqKv.png (34KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
JtYnqKv.png
34KB, 1920x1080px
>>8963752
>one single 'current' year
>stuck in linear time with grid of language doodles
>>
>>8963791
Only some Americans - the dumb ones. You'll notice many of the most highly educated, and wealthiest, Americans are currently learning Mandarin Chinese. Others are learning Russian, Arabic, and Portuguese/Spanish. From an American point of view, these are generally the most relevant languages - for reasons which vary.
>>
>>8964259
It was used for centuries by the well educated. Therefore, you will be forced to rely on translators to do large amounts of historical scholarship for you without it. Also, it makes your English/romance language vocabulary skyrocket.

I'm an English speaker, but I can understand a significant amount of romantic vocabulary simply due to my studies in Latin.

It's historic significance to the West is basically unrivaled.
>>
But Anon I only just recently learnt english
>>
>>8965290
What's this? OwO
>>
>>8963788
What do you consider to be a good language then?
>>
>>8963788
Non-native speaker?

English is infinitely subtle and nuanced. Stop listening to Americans.
>>
>>8964063
私は日本語を勉強したくない
>>
Myжики, дaвaйтe я бyдy yчить вac pyccкoмy, нy тaм coвeты кaкиe тo дaвaть, a вы взaмeн мeня aнглийcкoмy? Чё, кaк вaм мыcль?
>>
>>8963708
Je parle français mieux que toi.
>>
>>8963801
What made you want to learn serbian? I'd like to learn the language as well, however I'm struggling to find resources. Not even my local library carries books related to learning serbian.
>>
>all the russaboos ITT
As Ivan, it's so strange to me. I don't even remember the last time I've read anything in russian that wasn't poetry. Maybe I'm just retarded but in prose the language hardly even matters to me, unless we're talknig about really bad translations, I feel the same while dabbling in english, russian, or german, not to mention that 20th century russian novels are crap anyway.
>>
>>8965433

Everyone cares about your 19th century novels and poetry. As a Russian learner it's genuinely my only reason to learn the language.

That and I'm an unemployed loser with nothing better to do.
>>
>>8965433
So many of my favourite novels are written in Russian. I feel like something is lost in translated texts. It's not the authors words anymore.
>>
>>8965350
>>8965290

Heptapod B from the movie 'Arrival'
cf. the short story 'Story of Your Life' by Ted Chiang, on which the movie is based
>>
>>8965306

The learn Chinese meme is dead desu.
>>
I barely have anything worth saying in English.
Saying the same dumb shit I'm already saying, but in a different language, isn't high on my list of priorities.
>>
>>8965306
>You'll notice many of the most highly educated, and wealthiest, Americans are currently learning Mandarin Chinese
Citation Needed
>>
>>8965660

Ye. China has been teetering on the edge of economic collapse for a while now. They'll hold out for another year or two at most unless they can curb the building bubble
>>
>>8964093
>So from here on out I'm taking words from it and throwing them in an anki deck as I go

Should be doing this from the beginning m8. Maybe I should learn more languages (I'm in my 4th) before speaking authoritatively, but each experience leads me to believe that vocabulary must precede everything.
>>
>>8965756

I agree. I regret not properly focused on vocabulary at the start. You don't realise the importance until you've already got the grammar down and realise just how far you are from anywhere because you don't have the vocab
>>
>>8965660
Lol, no, it isn't.

You obviously don't know much about finance.
>>
>>8965716
No, If you want to verify it, get those fat hands of yours clicking and go do some research you lazy shit.
>>
>>8965729
I can't even begin to imagine from where you derived such an asinine perspective.
>>
>>8965729
this is such bar talk
>>
>>8965716
coincidentally - educated, wealthy american here who is beginning to learn mandarin chinese.
>>
>>8963735
Nobody really gives a shit, duolingo is a shit site regardless.
>>
I was born Russian, but a plebian life made me forget how to read it. I understand and speak it fine, though it's quite rusty. I'll polish it later on.

For now, I want to learn Ancient Greek, but I'm relying on books. What can /lit recommend? Difficulty doesn't matters. I just want something quintessential and comprehensive.
>>
>>8963708
duolingo is shit and you probably dont know aynthing lol
>>
>>8966904

Athenaze is the closes thing to the "standard" text (at least for Attic Greek, which is probably what you mean when you say "ancient"), but you must stay away from the unrevised version of the latest edition because it has many atrocious errors, and from what I understand even the revised version is still pretty lackluster. Sorry, bruv. I think I used the second edition, so maybe you can look for that. On the bright side, your knowing Russian should make learning the language much easier, because you're already familiar with inflection.
>>
>>8964179
Most people don't learn languages to travel to a place tho, unless you're going to work or study there, or you're going to a poorer nation where most people probably don't understand english.

It's about the culture, the news, the politics, the media, etc. And if you're going to socialize further than one-night stands it's also a good idea to not expect everyone in a social gathering to speak english for you.
>>
qualcuno vuole parlare italiano con me? ti posso parlarti in inglese se vuoi
>>
I moved to France just to learn the language.
>>
>>8963708
I see no reason to. There is no specific foreign literature that interests me enough, nor are there any foreigners I want to speak to. If I were to learn a language it would be Latin, simply to help with reading older literature. I don't think that is a good enough reason, though.
>>
>>8968265
Si, sto imparando Italiano perche lavoro in il ristorante italiano, e il mio padre e italiano ma lui non parla cuando ero un bambino. Parlo inglese, francese, curdi e farsi.
>>
>>8963708
Because all languages are steadily merging into one.

Give it another century, and we'll all be speaking Hinglish, Singlish or some such interlanguage.
>>
>>8968389
>Spend 5 years learning a language.
>Wait 100 years for language to coelesce.

Full retard.
>>
File: retard.jpg (68KB, 884x800px) Image search: [Google]
retard.jpg
68KB, 884x800px
>>8968395
>5 years to learn 1 language out of hundreds
>not understanding the benefits of gradation
Right back atcha, anon.
>>
>>8968278
mandami un email, sara bello parlare
>>
>>8968467
qui : [email protected]
>>
>>8963708
Im 27. That ship has already sailed.
>>
>>8963762
This board is more about intelligence than politics so how can you be proud of being monolingual?

Are you even able to learn a second language?
>>
>>8963788
>>
No language in history has had the translation quality and quantity that contemporary English has.

It's a master key. Unless you have a specific, rational (rather than idealist) reason to learn something else, don't bother.
>>
>>8964093
what languages you know?
>>
>>8963788
>holded

Dumb ESL
>>
>>8968507
I understand from you post that you speak only 1 language. Are you aware that translations change completely the work specially if the prose is more artistic? Things that may sound beautiful in one language becomes banal in the translation because it was crafted for the original language, then there is the problem with slangs, sayings etc..
>>
>>8968474
Joseph Conrad didn't learn English till he was in his 20's and his skills at it are renowned. Tolstoy similarly was learning new languages when he was in his 60's.

It's a myth that you have to learn a language from childhood or you'll never learn it, but it's really convenient for the lazy/uninspired.
>>
>>8968525
He's dumb because he conjugated one word wrong?
>>
>>8968534
Not that guy, but it's ironic. The fact that he erred in such a novice way undermines everything his comment says/suggests.
>>
>>8968534
It's a profoundly basic mistake that only one unfamiliar with the language could possibly make. And that very same person was spouting shit about how this language he doesn't even master is primitive.
>>
>>8963708
SHALOM
>>
>>8966904
I would recommend Shelmerdine's Introductory Greek. It's the book we use in my Ancient Greek class, and I think it's a very solid intro. It has a good vocabulary selection, a wide variety of excercises, and some good original readings from Herodotus and the like. Here's a link:

https://www.amazon.com/Introduction-Greek-Cynthia-W-Shelmerdine/dp/1585101842
>>
>>8964622
Latin as someone said earlier helps with vocab for romantic languages, russian has a shit ton of great lit and is still spoken, i would disregard ancient greek, sure its great for a small amount of very old literature, but just hasnt got the benefits of russian and latin
>>
>>8968766
>romantic languages
romance fuck my bad
>>
Lmaoing @ monolinguals right now.
>>
File: gold_digging_WHORE.jpg (149KB, 623x814px) Image search: [Google]
gold_digging_WHORE.jpg
149KB, 623x814px
>studying latin through LLPI
>suddenly this
What the fuck, I cannot even read textbooks without encountering cuck shit now. Are Julius's sons also, hm, his wife's?
>>
>>8968890
Spoiler:

Tandem Aemilia Julium amare incipiet.
>>
>>8968766
Except that Greek is a better language than Latin in every single way. Sic quoque Romani juvabant.
>>
>>8968845
>>8963708
this shit is so fucking paradoxical fluency isn't something you can rank as a percentage, either you are fluent or you aren't it's the fucking definition of fluent itself
>>
File: 1472147138073.jpg (33KB, 512x384px) Image search: [Google]
1472147138073.jpg
33KB, 512x384px
>>8963708
>Uses Duolingo
>Has actually convinced himself that he is "learning" a language
>>
>>8968947
This, holy fuck why do people keep falling for these ineffective meme programs - duolingo, rosetta etc..
>>
>>8963708
>thinking you can learn a language with duolingo

Go to France and learn the language for real, you fucking pleb
>>
>>8968993
You shouldn't go to France without knowing any French. You should at least have a basic comprehension otherwise you won't really learn anything. French are very pissy when it comes to language, the older ones in particular.
>>
>>8968942
The highest you can get in "fluency" is 56% or 58%. They know it's meaningless, and everyone treats it as such.
>>
>>8968974
>why do people keep falling for these ineffective meme programs

Because they're better than not doing any program at all? Just a guess.
>>
>>8963788

>hurr durr a language's grammar is a systemization that metaphysically determines what sort of understanding its speakers can attain
>hurr durr german is analytical
>hurr durr french is sophisticated
>hurr durr italian is sensual
>hurr durr latin is powerful

How stupid to you have to be to fall for this meme? X is Y. It's Power Rangers tier analysis.
>>
>>8969060
Reading a book is infinitely better.
>>
File: 1480114671504.gif (371KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
1480114671504.gif
371KB, 500x375px
>>8963708
>relatively low verbal IQ score
>would rather just focus on english and get better at that than learn another language

idk maybe my thinking is flawed and learning another language would help me with language as a whole. I really like english tho
>>
>>8969088

Learning another language will improve your English. You'll be forced to think about grammar systematically.
Learning another language will also help you get de-memed.
When an object/idea has multiple names it gives you power over the object/idea rather than its name having power over you.
>>
File: 1484107412326.jpg (8KB, 223x250px) Image search: [Google]
1484107412326.jpg
8KB, 223x250px
>>8969097
I always had that debate in my head, having another person's input might have just pushed me over the edge. I will look into another language. Thanks anon
>>
>>8963734
I don't really feel like learning Arabic, anon.
>>
>>8969130

Learn Latin bruv. It is the prince of tongues.
>>
>>8969152
Stop trying to meme people into learning meme languages.
>>
why are you shitposting on /lit/?
>>
>>8969130

Make sure it's Indo-European or else you're just wasting your time.

If you struggle with languages then I'd recommend something like German. It's (literally) a good middle-ground between meme-tier French/English and the inflection hell of Latin/Slavic languages.
>>
>>8963708

I've got a lot of other stuff I'm working on. Realistically, the time just isn't there.

Would rather finish my novel.
>>
>>8969060
Sure, it's better than not doing anything at all. Skipping on one leg everywhere is better than not walking at all, that doesn't mean there aren't more effective methods.
>>
>>8969160

There is a reason it WAS (no longer is) a meme for so long. Don't knock it until you've tried it. It teaches precision in thinking like no other language, and it is also very beautiful. There's a reason it was the basis of all education up until the late 19th century.
>>
>>8969179
>There's a reason it was the basis of all education up until the late 19th century.
Yes, but the reasons you listed are not among them.
>>
File: 1477438373711.jpg (7KB, 225x225px) Image search: [Google]
1477438373711.jpg
7KB, 225x225px
>>8963708
>implying there is any reason to learn a secondary language when you're already fluent in English
>>
>>8969193
Reading.
>He actually reads translations
>>
>>8969179
Latin is literally a meme. Even romans preferred speaking greek, byzantines abandoned it completely, in medieval it was only used by church pedophiles, and then was briefly ressurrected by the renaissance hipsters only to die again
>>
>>8969203

Id argumentum non est.
>>
File: 1476470493083.jpg (30KB, 450x450px) Image search: [Google]
1476470493083.jpg
30KB, 450x450px
>>8968477
>claims to care about intelligence
>doesn't understand that the opportunity cost of learning multiple languages is not worth it considering the time spent learning said languages could've been better spent learning other things
>doesn't understand that being monolingual is optimal for increasing knowledge
>>
> root ereader
> install RU-EN dictionary
> can read Dostoyevsky with my rusty Russian and easily translate any words that make me stumble with a tap of the screen

What a time to be alive.
>>
>>8969203

It was the lingua franca of the educated world for over a thousand years and there's literally more Latin language literature than you could read in an entire lifetime. You're either trolling or retarded.
>>
>>8969214
Socrates and Schopenhauer were right, technology will make us retarded
>>
Gut gemacht Slytherins, sehr gut gemacht

ALLERDINGS
>>
>>8969225
Ur already retarded and i don't think technology was a factor lel
>>
>>8969225

whatever nerd, if you love socrates so much why don't you give up the written word?
>>
>>8965084
So do I, that's no excuse! You don't have to be able to speak/hear it well to get enjoyment out of reading and writing another language. If you want to that is.
>>
>>8969211

[citation needed]
>>
>>8963708
Why would you waste your time learning french?
>>
>>8969275
French is one of the richest languages when it comes to literature. You should really know these sort of things when coming to a literature board.
>>
>>8969211

while i don't know if this could be considered true, i've always thought something similar.
For example, if instead of learning a foreing language you just focus on perfectioning your mother tongue by the rest of your life, wouldn't you be able to have one of the most destacated writing styles in your language?

Still, i find learning a widely-spoken language such as english has a great amount of benefits, such as a larger access to information and the capability of being able to speak with a giant internet community.
>>
>>8969283
Yeah, but French is also the language of France. You should really know these things before coming on a literature board too.
>>
>>8969305
You can learn a language without ever talking to a native you know, much less visit the country where it is spoken.
>>
>>8969319
Duh. What I meant was, the French are the underclass of western civilisation, why would anyone ever want to talk like them?
>>
>>8969322
The French suck, but I wouldn't call them the underclass of civilization. Nevertheless most people here learn languages to read, not to speak. At least that is what I do.
>>
>>8969328
Name one good French writer that wasn't Sartre or Camus.
>>
>>8969305
>>8969322
Missed /pol/ again, son?
>>
>>8969337
Guy de Maupassant
>>
>>8969343
I said GOOD writer.
>>8969339
No, I said French writer, not French nazi.
>>
I'm learning Python. It has far more use than any of the other languages mentioned here.
>>
>>8969337
Verne, Dumas, Victor Hugo, Rimbaud
>>
>>8969360
>Is asked for good writers.
>Gives the cliches.
Wew lad.
>>
File: 1475899261265.png (1MB, 1357x1281px) Image search: [Google]
1475899261265.png
1MB, 1357x1281px
>>8969353
#kodewithkarlie
>>
>>8969362
They're genuinely good writers though. What is the problem?
>>
>>8969374
They are French. Come on Frenchie, wake up.
>>
>>8969353
I actually agree. Programming languages are seriously underrated as vehicles for creative expression. Well-organised, debugged, and structured code is really pleasurable to read
>>
File: 1480633737474.jpg (95KB, 960x960px) Image search: [Google]
1480633737474.jpg
95KB, 960x960px
>>8969380
Sounds like a solution more than a problem though.
>>
>>8969385
You misspelled 'situation'.
>>
>>8965341
yeah me too, if 4chan was in another language it will probably give me enough motivation to learn it but for now i'll juts stay a bilingual pleb
>>
I am using Anki for Hiragana and Katakana and I think that I could be learning these characters at a faster pace than Anki wants me to. Did anyone feel this way, what did you do?
>>
>>8965704
holy....
>>
>>8969395
/int/ has generals where different nations speak their native language all the time
/jp/ board has japanese
>>
File: pipe.jpg (36KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
pipe.jpg
36KB, 800x600px
>>8963735
>>8963722
Kek
>>
>>8963788
Yet here we are speaking it :^)
>>
>>8969073
ok but certain african languages cant count past like 3. that shit has to limit their intellectual horizons
>>
>>8963708
Ich lerne Deutsch, aber Duolingo ist Scheiße. Ich habe 80% fließend, aber ich kann verstehe nicht, wann echte deutsch gesprochen ist. Und mein schreiben ist quatsch
>>
>>8969337
fucking every single one
>>
>>8969337
Camus prose is autistic
>>
>>8969766
Even Pierre L'tronde?

No he isn't, don't you lie - shut your whore mouth.
>>
>>8969753

Denn ist dein Gehirn quatsch.
>>
weil meine deutsche ist schisse
>>
>>8969770
And it's authentic!
>>
>>8969774
>only about 50% of his country "writers" are worth reading
>french writers and poets are so good even the pleb level is top tier and obscure one are still fucking miles better than anything anglos ever made
>even our fucking antisemitist(celine) have excellent prose
>>
>>8969793
HAHAHAHAHA!
>>
>>8963708
As it happens, I do intend to learn French someday, but there's already enough shit going on with me right now. I don't want to stack learning French on top of it all. Give it time; I'll do it eventually. Still a young man yet. Right now I'm working on my writing.
>>
>>8969776
:(
>>
>>8969146
I see what you did there. HAH!
>>
>>8969236
I like this.
>>
>>8969753
Duolingo only teaches you some meme expressions to be honest. Still better than autistically repeating flashing cards.

Reading is goat. Look into German graded readers torrent and work your way up, you have texts from A1 to B2 there.
>>
>>8969821

You know, it's the same assholes who call duolingo shit who actually aren't learning another language in the first place.
>>
>>8969826
Yeah but I'm the kind of asshole that gives you a much better alternative.

Or you can keep playing your "language learning game" because it's nothing more than that. It's purpose is to entertain and make kiddos like you think they're doing hard language learning work by winning XP.
>>
File: 1475464841336.png (147KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
1475464841336.png
147KB, 600x600px
>>8969300
>For example, if instead of learning a foreign language you just focus on perfecting your mother tongue by the rest of your life, wouldn't you be able to have one of the most destacated writing styles in your language?

>>8969088
>>8969097

I think this anon made a valid point. You can always just look up words, but by learning a new language it forces you to translate thoughts differently.

>When an object/idea has multiple names it gives you power over the object/idea rather than its name having power over you.
>>
>>8969821
Thanks. I tested B1 on the Goethe institute website but that's about as far as you can get with duo only teaching vocabulary. I'm also translating one Rilke poem a day; that seems to help.
>>
>>8969850
and how is duolinguo not making you learn anything even if you are memorizing and applying(albeit in a repetitive and kinda autistic manner) is possible?

it's childish but it work for a lot of peoples, it's supposed to be a head start into learning a language not a complete guide
>>
>>8969850
what makes you think that somebody learning another language ONLY uses duolingo?

No one single source is going to teach you another language, you're going to have to use dozens of them eventually.

If duolingo gets the ball rolling, then who gives a flying fuck?

And once again, you're not actually learning another language, so who gives a shit what you have to say?
>>
File: happy pep.png (51KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
happy pep.png
51KB, 500x500px
>>8969097
>lit isn't completely brain dead yet
>>
>>8969875
Awesome dude, keep it to, it's a big achievement to get to B1 on your own.
>>8969877
Nigga I'm not saying duo is complete shit, I'm using it daily but you have to recognize its limits. Read my post, I said it teaches some expressions, that's obviously better than nothing but you can make far more progress with actual textbooks, reading, interacting with natives or other learners.
>>8969889
Kys
>>
>>8969889
You're like those faggits that think doing pushups is a sure good way to get you ready for the gym. Just start lifting you fag
>>
Mamihlapinatapai: a look shared by two people, each wishing that the other would initiate something that they both desire but which neither wants to begin.
>>
Dubs decide which language should i learn this summer.
Anything goes except nerd shit like klingon.
I'll post results.
>>
>>8970241
Japanese!!
>>
>>8970241
greenlandic
>>
>>8970241
All men should learn Sanskrit.
>>
>>8970241
turkish
>>
>>8970241
latin
>>
>>8970277
ayy
>>
>>8970277
fucking shit lmao.
gonna start now and post progress in a week.
at least i guess there is some good turkish lit, right?
>>
>>8970241
learn french
>>
File: WIN_20170114_02_27_06_Pro.jpg (167KB, 640x1019px) Image search: [Google]
WIN_20170114_02_27_06_Pro.jpg
167KB, 640x1019px
>>8970289
any piece of turkish literature older than 100 years is filled with arabic and persian words that hardly anyone knows.
pic related was written in 1919 by an author who participated in the movement that purified the language. its got 7 footnotes for words like i mentioned in the first page of the book. it tells something.
there are still good writers and poets in 20th century though.
>>
>>8970379
so it's not a good lit language compared to others.
shit, at least i will be able to shitpost in three different languages
>>
I'm already bilingual. Fluent in Spanish and English. Moving to other types of languages like C++ and Java.
>>
>>8970580
>im already literate; im a spic
>>
I am
>>
I'm currently learning french, I'm having trouble understanding exactly what each sentence is supposed to mean but I can still get a grasp

I'm currently reading Le Petit Prince but wow it's hard for me. Anyone recommend a book that is easy for beginners but like absurdly easy? Like a children's book but not as complex as petit prince
>>
>>8970739
you just gotta find something that interests you deeply. after that, the difficulty of the text wont deter you.
I quitted many books because i didnt find them intriguing.
It was the cuckolding forums that did it for me.
>>
>>8963708
пидopác
>>
>>8970739
I'm at le Petit prince lvl, where do I go now?
>>
>>8970943
à la recherche du temps perdu bien sûr
>>
File: 21.png (6KB, 186x166px) Image search: [Google]
21.png
6KB, 186x166px
>>8963708
Fuck off i am
>>
>>8970654
Call it what you want. 2 languages. Low IQ racist.
>>
>>8964051
I'm also beginning to teach myself Russian, and want to be able to work up to the more complex works and classics. Is there any easy book you would recommend to start with, something I can understand without too much difficulty?
>>
>>8970957
you're kidding right
>>
>>8971049
are you joking right now?
>>
>>8971074
I've never read it in english so I don't actually know how difficult it is, but I would guess it's requires some advanced knowledge of french.
So yeah I wasn't joking but I suspect to know the answer.
>>
File: Screenshot_2.jpg (8KB, 298x202px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2.jpg
8KB, 298x202px
And I only know shit like
>Le papillon est noir
>>
File: 1480999129161.jpg (45KB, 600x599px) Image search: [Google]
1480999129161.jpg
45KB, 600x599px
>>8963708
I'm getting pretty far in Spanish, I'm 27% of the way in. Once I get pretty proficient in spanish, what should I learn next?
>>
>>8965286
England and Switzerland are shitholes and Russia is a European country.
>>
>>8963808
My grandfather was send to study in a Russian academy and they made him learn "Eвгeний Oнeгин" by heart in order to learn the language.
He still knows 75% of it .
>>
>>8971353
Learn whatever you want, anon. Once you start learning multiple languages, you realize that it's not a binary. I know French and Latin super well, so I can read Spanish fine and order in a restaurant in Italy and catch a few lines of dialogue in a Romanian movie. If you wanted to master another Romance language, it wouldn't be difficult at all. They're all 90% the same. But if you're more interested in etymology or history or literature, you might want to try an ancient language. Or if you're an animoo weeb you might want to learn Japanese. Or if you're fascinated by the idea that concepts change as they're conveyed by different languages, you can learn ASL. Really, 4chan can't tell you anything about what language you "should" learn next. It'll just get easier and easier the more of them you learn. I know five languages well, not counting the incidental knowledge I mentioned above.

>inb4 nonbinary meme
>>
>>8969097
This. I am a native English speaker, but I often find it difficult to express concepts in English, while I can do so in French. For instance, "pourrir" comes to my mind to describe something before "rot," "decay," or "ruin" come to mind because I don't think any of those words properly translate the concept.
>>
>>8971276
it correct but "ce papillon est noir" is more appropriate
>>
>>8963708
There are many languages hat i want to learn. I decided to start with japanese and then learn others one at a time.
>>
>>8969097
>Learning another language will also help you get de-memed.
What do you mean?
>>
Because I'm only 19 and already fluent in 5?
>>
>>8971934
Languages like japanese, mandarin, korean and arabic are hard af

You are better off if you choose a proper western language or one from eastern europe
>>
>>8972018
Come back when you're only 16 and know 12
>>
>>8963762
I bet that was what the French were thinking before English came to prominence.
>>
>>8972030
Like you?
And which, please do tell.
>>
>>8969088
>thinks some bullshit "verbal IQ" score determines whether he can learn a new language
You know, since you're retarded enough to believe this crap, you're probably also too retarded to learn a second language.
>>
>>8963762
This is the reason people hate americans.
They go anywhere and expect everybody to speak their goddamn language.
No. If you go to France you must speak fucking French.

I'm using Anki to learn some vocabulary. Also Michel Thomas.
>>
>>8963708
You didn't learn another language in school? I was forced to learn four different languages in school, fucking Americans I swear.
>>
>>8971014

Go to readlang.com and join. It's got a range of short easy stories for a low reading level. Look up "кaк yбить мoнcтpa", it's a goosebumps story translated into Russian.

You can get word definitions by clicking on the word so if you know your grammar it should be easy.

Also if you're willing to throw the words you don't know in anki or something you'll benefit even more.
>>
>>8972083
And those 4 languages you've learned are nonexistent because you can barely communicate in any of them except English
1-0
>>
>>8972030
MOOODS
>>
>>8972101
I forgot 90% of the French I learned, but my Dutch and German are still perfectly fine. How do you figure I can't communicate in any of them?
>>
>>8972028
Well, i will learn western languages, but after japanese. I don't really care about their difficulty, i just want to learn some of them.
>>
Any tips on how to make progress learning Japanese?
I've completed a beginners course and learned the absolute basics, but I am not sure how to continue.
>>
>>8969211
Provided you're referring to so-called “practical” knowledge, you should be aware that languages are certainly the most valuable assets on the markets, more than is the degree once you have some experience. Many countries have a comparative advantage over the United States, because the workforce is more likely to master English on top of its native language(s). There's nothing optimal in lacking such an expensive and recognized asset.
>>
>>8972107
so you're fluent in 2 languages that you've learned in high-school ?
but you've forgot 90% of the french ?
okay bud-DY>
>>
>>8973540
How many foreign languages do you know besides English, out of curiosity?
>>
>>8973575
Three.
>>
>>8972427
im monolingual and make 6 figures at age 23 literally only because i have a cs degree and im not even good at cs
>>
>>8972416
Read Genki 1 and 2, then read kids books and work your way up. Also spend a few months in Japan on WWOOF or helpx.
>>
>>8973580
Which ones?

>>8973581
I hope you won't mind if I have struggle to believe that.
>>
>>8973581
i literally don't believe you .
>>
>>8973592
Russian, French, and Hebrew.
>>
>>8973592
>>8973593
it's ridiculously common. look at avg starting salaries at google, amazon, microsoft, facebook, etc. i mean ffs amazon will hire you without a human being ever speaking to you these days
>>
>>8973598
French is your native language, it doesn't count. How would you rate your command of Hebrew and Russian?

>>8973599
I've never seen it.
>>
>>8973607
>I've never seen it.
ok well it's very common. the majority of the people i know that i graduated with are monolingual and are making six figures (most doing better than me).
>>
>>8973581
>>8973613
If you're the same guy, tell me what languages you speak and what programming language to get into.

please senpai
>>
>>8973615
i only speak english

learn java if you want money.
>>
>>8973607
No it's not actually, my mother tongue is Russian, i'd say from a scale of 1-10 my English and Hebrew are 10/10 while French is at around 7/10.

Just lacking vocabulary, comprehension and communication skills are not the problem.
>>
>>8973623
Interesting. Your errors are typical of French people, I would have sworn you were from France.
>>
>>8973599
Your replies contradictory, you're stating that you're mediocre at CS, while stating huge companies like facebook/microsof/amazon are paying out 6 figures.

Yet those companies won't EVER hire mediocre guys like """YOU""" to do a job that another person does WELL.
>>
>>8973628
what errors ?
>>
>>8973631
you're right in that they shouldn't. but hiring people is hard and costs money so their systems are very flawed and gameable. doing well on them is like doing well on the sat except you get a billion tries because you can interview at a bunch of different places. and the skills needed to succeed are just general problem solving ability which you can learn easily through practicing for like a month
>>
how can i learn french phrases that come handy in daily life? I mean stuff like botter en touche or parler petit negre.
>>
>>8973658
i think you mean idioms, just look up an idiom book on french.
>>
>>8973644
>you've learned
>high-school
>of the french
>French, and Hebrew
>from a scale
>my English
>French is at around

The supernumerary space next to strong punctuation and the failure to handle strong verbs well, on top of the clumsy grammar, led me to think you were French. Mea culpa.

>>8973656
Sorry to tell you, but I simply don't believe anything you said. It just doesn't reconciliate with my own experience and it just doesn't seem to make sense.

>>8973658
I'd say to speak and read French!
>>
>>8973668
except for "on a scale" i don't see what's wrong.
mind correcting it please ?
>>
>>8973668
why don't you do some research then and it will corroborate what i'm saying
>>
>>8973684
>learnt
>highschool
>of French
>French and Hebrew
>on a scale
>English
>French is around
Note that it isn't necessary incorrect, yet “wrong”, as it doesn't sound natural/coherent. “High-school” is rarely used and when it is, it's usually an adjective. Also, English typography doesn't require a space before strong punctuation. As far as I know, the only Indo-European language that does it is French, hence my assumption.

>>8973686
I have no doubt you could get me a website that would prove your point, but I simply never saw such a thing in my entire life.
>>
>>8973684
firstly im a different guy
>"what errors ?"
space before the question mark is a french thing.
you might also be misusing comma and period in numbers.
In english 2.5 means two and a half, in french 2,5 is used instead.
obviously vice versa for the marks put every 3 number to make it easy to read. 1,000 and 1.000 mean thousand in english and french respectively.
>>
Should lit have /languagelearning/ thread? Would mods allow it?

Seems like a good idea, having a place for anons to exercise with foreigners and share resources (videos, music, books, exercises websites, etc.)
>>
>>8973701
Not him, but 'learnt' is fine.
>>
>>8973709
Yes, I should have mentioned that.

>>8973712
I'd gladly support that! There's already such a structure on /int/ if I recall correctly, but we could have one here, with a focus on literature and philosophy.

>>8973724
I take it you meant “learned”. It is, but it's rather uncommon.
>>
>>8963726
止めてください、アノンさん。
それは無理です......
>>
>>8973733
'Learnt' is the British/International English preferred way; 'learned' the American way.
>>
>>8973758

Yeah, I must say that, at least as an American, I hardly ever see "learnt" and it feels wrong to me. And does not "learned it well" have a superior kind of phonetic fluidity to "learnt it well"?
>>
>>8973764
I learned it.

It was learnt.
>>
>>8973758
Well, that's an error of mine, then. I didn't know it.

>>8973764
Since “learned” suppresses the “r” unlike “learnt”, no. Also, “learnt” can still be voiced upon circumstances.
>>
>>8973764
As a Brit, I would say the latter has more 'fluidity'. You do not have to switch awkwardly between the voiced 'd' and the unvoiced 't'.
>>
>>8973790

>learn-TIT-well.
>>
>>8964179
Degenerate
>>
Learning Japanese.

Still think that they should abort their runes and go with latin characters instead.
>>
>>8973795
> learn-DIT-well

Your point?

Remember, that most Brits don't pronounce 't' at all.
>>
>>8973799
I wish they would decide on using only one set of runes instead of three.
>>
>>8973812
Kanji alone?

I think you wish instead they would rather drop one.
>>
>>8973821
Either hiragana OR katakana would be enough. If you want to express things like foreign origin or mood, just use variations of one syllabary instead of using another complete set just for the fuck of it.
>>
>>8973844
Learning both is easy, and could be achieved in a matter of weeks. Also, there's no difference in sound. There have been attempts to use one, or two, or to entirely romanized Japanese but they all failed. There are too many homophones.
>>
>>8973852
>could be achieved in a matter of weeks.
Yeah, but that doesn't make it less retarded. You can learn Cyrillic symbols in a relatively short time too, but that doesn't mean you should start mixing them into your English sentences.
>>
>>8968942

I'm "26% fluent" in French after a week on Duolingo for like an hour a day. The fluency percent is a joke.
>>
>>8969081

Why? The programs are literally the equivalent of exercises in a book, but more automated with more visual and auditory feedback. /lit/ gets too obsessed with the idea that books do everything better.

I'm not saying you shouldn't read books, but programs compliment the books in the exact same way exercises in the books do.
>>
>>8973883
Doing some meme exercises isn't nearly as effective as learning grammar rules and just reading classic literature with a dictionary at hand
>>
>>8969798
>I can't do X because I have shit going on
The thing about life is that there's always shit going on. Grow a pair and start learning now.
>>
>>8973940

Grammar rules are important sure, though duolinguo also contains grammar lessons.

Reading anything more than a children's book when starting out is going to be 90% a waste of your time, you'd be spending far longer turning pages in a dictionary than you would reading.

But who am I kidding, this is /lit/, lots of people here get off on doing needless difficult shit to get a sense of superiority.
>>
>>8974073
Nnosense. If you cram the grammar rules and 800-1000 most common words, you can begin reading foreign literature with some confidence. Also, bilingual editions exist, another good idea is to read your own favourite novels, for which you already know the story and general context
>>
>>8973940
I started to learn English reading a visual novel (Tsukihime). While it is doable, there are better ways to learn.

Reading books is a must, but I don't think it is the best way to go if you're starting. It would be like learning violin playing music - you don't, you practice scales and etudes, exercises that pin-point a very specific matter, and once you know each technique required, it's time to put it all together; I would apply the same to language learning.

Once a person has a basic grasp of vocabulary, he may start reading books, but I think literature would still be a wrong step, because literature is highly complex, the grammar is not always followed and it is very much oriented to be stylistically attractive. In this case, reading non-fiction books is advisable because the language is often plain and simple.

My humble advice:
- Avoid Duolingo, Rosetta Stone and similar, they will not be particularly useful. They aren't useless, but there are better ways to spend your time.
- Go to piratebay. Torrent "Michelle Thomas Complete V3".
Michelle Thomas is a superb teacher. He will do for you in one hour more than Duolingo in ten hours.
- Download Anki and Anki Decks. It works like a charm to increase vocabulary.
- Get non-fiction books to practice reading, nothing technical - if you're learning French and practice with postmodern philosophy you will be dead on waters in no time. Maybe a History book, scientific divulgation may work too.
- FUCKING STICK WITH IT.
Do it everyday. Progress will not occur with hard work and a high level of commitment.
- Bonus: Pay for some lessons on italki if you can afford it. Don't look for teachers with a degree, look native speakers, the latter are much cheaper. It is obvious that they are not trained to teach you a language, but after you can read some books at a somewhat comfortable level, you may want to practice your speaking skills.

Good luck.
You will be great.
>>
why is noone suggesting getting a private tutor whose mother tongue is the one you wish to learn?
all i seee is meme website and technieques.
I stroke gold when i found my french teacher.
guy is a living legends, worked with daft punk before they wore masks.
>noone cared who i was before i put on the mask
42 bucks for 2 hour lessons
>>
>>8974169
how do you find one
>>
>>8974184
i used a website for tutors to advertise.
well it was pretty random that i found him.
i live in turkey though. im sure you can find a similar website for your country
>>
>>8974169
A tutor is always the best, but not everyone can afford a tutor, and many who can can't find someone who fits their schedule
Thread posts: 318
Thread images: 28

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.