[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Beautiful Prose

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1

File: TheMoreSheShat.jpg (217KB, 1600x800px) Image search: [Google]
TheMoreSheShat.jpg
217KB, 1600x800px
I want to write beautifully. What books should one read to improve the quality of his prose?
>>
>>8962879
stuff written in the 19th century. just read it all. also, subvocalize constantly, ensure you hear the voice of the author. do that forever, isolating yourself from other stimuli, then put pen to paper and release the torrent. you may be surprised. unfortunately it may be short lived, however, if you were to devote years to this habit, perhaps you could maintain it.
>>
>>8962879
Some classic poetry would be a good start, obviously. Read the Odyssey translated by Robert Fagles

>>8962905
Lol le secret spiritual wrider tegnique xdDD
>>
>>8962879
no one will ever want to read your stuff except for other lonely and uncritical /lit/izens, but best of luck to you. why not produce some 18th century style water colours while your at it, or a couple of mesopotamian lyre songs, they will surely be relevant to 21st century aesthetic consciousness.
>>
Proust
>>
>>8962924
I'm a POC in Canada.
I managed to get an agent to look at my short story based on the fact that I'm an "emerging voice, focused on capturing the disaffection and duress aimed, historically, at the oppressed."

Thank God for white guilt.
>>
>>8962921
>spiritual
where do you see the spirit mentioned in this post?
>>
>>8962924
>they will surely be relevant to 21st century consciousness.

I don't care. I just want to enjoy beauty - both mine own and that of others.
>>
>>8962941
>hear the voice of the author
>do that forever
>from other stimuli
>put pen to paper
>release the torrent
>may be surprised
>unfortunately
>were to devote
>years to this habit
>you could maintain it

its everywhere.
>>
>>8962924
>Implying that Nabokov isn't famous and popular despite his entire career being based on colorful prose writings and a book about a pedophile.
>>
>>8962957
>says there is spirit where there is none
i don't think you understand what the word spirit means.
>>
MY
>>
>>8962963
He's popular for the pedophile book...not Ada and his prose only matters to /lit/ folk
>>
>>8962879
Christopher Isherwood.

From my window, the deep solemn massive street. Cellar-shops where the lamps burn all day, under the shadow of top-heavy balconied facades, dirty plaster frontages embossed with scrollwork and heraldic devices. The whole district is like this: street leading into street of houses like shabby monumental safes crammed with the tarnished valuables and second-hand furniture of a bankrupt middle class.

I am a camera with its shutter open, quite passive, recording, not thinking. Recording the man shaving at the window opposite and and the woman in the kimono washing her hair. Some day this will all have to be developed, carefully printed, fixed.

- from expository chapter of Goodbye to Berlin.
>>
>>8962986
His prose is actually commented on quite often by a lot of people not just /lit/ folks. I've read people say that Pale Fire and Ada are beautifully written but not accessible due to the prose.
>>
>>8962986
>insinuating that isn't the only thing that really matters
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoin at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Posts and uploaded images are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that website. If you need information about a Poster - contact 4chan. This project is not affiliated in any way with 4chan.