[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Surrealist /lit/

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1

File: corps et biens.jpg (16KB, 304x499px) Image search: [Google]
corps et biens.jpg
16KB, 304x499px
What are some good surrealist pieces of lit?
Have any of you read pic related, and if so, is it any good?
>>
>>8962163
Bump
>>
Nadja by Andre Breton
The Atrocity Exhibition by JG Ballard
>>
Les Chants de Maldoror has great imagery, and is quite entertaining.
>>
>>8962287
Vermillion Sands by Ballard, too. The collection has a very painterly quality to it; in addition to some great surrealist imagery, each short story reads as a variation on a theme, like a painter with multiple renditions of the same landscape. Filled with allusions to surrealist literature as well.
>>
>>8962163
Illuminatus!
>>
>>8962323
Based Ballard filled his suburban house (where he raised his three children) with often fairly sexual surrealist paintings. I also heard him say in an interview that he considered himself "a disappointed painter". Stories of his like "Prima Belladonna" have very strong surrealist overtones, plus there are the heavily surreal and psychoanalytic descriptive passages in The Drowned World and The Crystal World. His range is very impressive.
>>
OP here:

>>8962287
Found an read a copy of Nadja (in English unfortunately) a while back, and liked it very much. I think that I'm gonna pick up a french copy soon to reread and brush up (my french is getting pretty damn rusty). One of my favorite parts was the sort of flowing imagery that gave it a real relaxed aesthetic. Based on your description and some quick googling, Vermillion Sands looks pretty good as well; I'll check that one out. Thanks anon.
>>8962303
Thanks, I've been looking for some real og surrealist poetry
>>
Daumal and any Michaux you can find
>>
>>8962163
mad love by breton
>>
The Blind Owl by Sadegh Hedayat
>>
Clair de terre
>>
>>8962521
Seconding both. Michaux is far out, man.

I liked Lenora Carrington's short pieces and I think they're a great intro. They're short, not too heavy or murky, not too sexual, they've got that Yves Tanguy painting vibe.

I love Julien Gracq. I'm not sure he fits with surrealism though I get lost in his imagery.

Has anyone heard of Urmuz? He's like a tad crazier Kharms. And Kharms is like noone, really. Again, those two don't tend to show up in the usual recommendations but they're amazing as entry points, very funny and short.

Jarry has some crazy shit too.

For some bizarre but well written shorts try also Nathalie Sarraute and Francis Ponge.
>>
>>8962287
>>8962323
>>8962336
The Day of Creation is great surrealist Ballard
>>
SOLAR ANUS
>>
I'll possibly be hounded because it's more sci-fi, but what the heck:
Inverted World - Christopher Priest
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.