[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How do I start with Wittgenstein? I've tried reading Tractatus

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 3

File: Ludwig_Wittgenstein.jpg (265KB, 547x800px) Image search: [Google]
Ludwig_Wittgenstein.jpg
265KB, 547x800px
How do I start with Wittgenstein?

I've tried reading Tractatus but it's all nonsense to me. I want to know how he ended philosophy.
>>
>>8960869
start learning what is philosophy instead of jumping to its """end"""
>>
You get a BA in philosophy... he really isn't taught until grad school although some unis have 20th century analytic courses that touch on tractatus.
>>
lel git gud pleb
>>
yup, what >>8960877 said.
you will understand him, if you will read more philosophy.
>>
>>8960869
just read philosophical investigations and on certainty first
>>
frege and russell are pretty necessary to understand him. Being familiar with Kant would help although there are doubts Wittgenstein even read Kant but it'd be useful nonetheless. Also Plato.
>>
File: witt.jpg (19KB, 241x190px) Image search: [Google]
witt.jpg
19KB, 241x190px
>>8960869
>Tl;DR If you cant talk about it, shut the fuck up
>>
>>8960869
Give "How to Read Wittgenstein" by Ray Monk a go, then you can probably tackle Tractatus and PI. If you have Jstor read a lot of academic papers on him
>>
>>8960869
Sounds like you might be better off with something like the cambridge companion to wittgenstein or something if you dont want to work through all the primary texts
>>
>>8961062
what did he mean by this?
>>
No other analytics are necessary to understand him. Do not start with the Tractatus. Do not think you need to learn logic before reading Wittgenstein. Analytics are retards.

Read the Philosophical Investigations with Hacker & Baker's commentary. Ignore all analytic pseuds. Go back and read Frege and dipshit Russell in the light of Wittgenstein after, and you'll thank God you didn't do it the other way around.
>>
>mfw plebs now think he 'ended philosophy' and want to know how

good job lit, good job.
>>
File: 309448635.501.jpg (20KB, 348x366px) Image search: [Google]
309448635.501.jpg
20KB, 348x366px
imagine some fag thinks his shadow is alive and is always trying to kill him when he turns his back.

now, he wants to investigate ways to protect himself from his evil shadow, and starts devising all sorts of methods for this. more and more complicated every time.

then, someone, instead of playing his game, just explains him what a shadow is. his protection-from-shadow-methods search has ended, not cause it was solved, but cause it was clarified as an illusion stemming from a false conception.
>>
>>8960877
false. witt is great to start.philosophy with. he and neitze put it to proper perspective
>>
>>8961402
This guy knows, OP. PI was fun intro to philosophy
>>
>>8962037
>metaphor is dead
>embrace the new sincerity comrade
good times
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.