[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Iliad Question

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 2

File: 1468951418061.jpg (513KB, 1024x709px) Image search: [Google]
1468951418061.jpg
513KB, 1024x709px
Can someone explain to me the soldiers' obsession with stripping dead enemies of their armour? In fierce hand-to-hand combat I find it bewildering that the Achaeans and Trojans prioritise it over their own lives, especially when the tide of battle isn't on their side. And a good number of soldiers die stripping armour too.
>>
Trophies viscerally embody heroic glory, not just weakly, optionally indicate it. Having trophies of your glorious deeds and the enemies you've killed is absolutely necessary. It's also central to the aristocratic culture of Dark Age Greece, and many similar societies, to give weighty, "storied" trophies as gifts and exchanges to one another, to bind each other in friendship etc.

>Time (tee-may) is the honor or recognition which the hero expects to receive in proportion to his "worth" (arete). The word time may be used in a fairly abstract sense, like English "honor;" it may also be used (sometimes in the plural, timai) for the gifts or prizes which are the tokens of honor--for example, the share of booty from a captured city given to each warrior who helped to take that city. The quarrel between Achilles and Agamemnon in Book I of the Iliad starts when Agamemnon threatens to take Briseis, a captive woman who was given to Achilles when he sacked her town. For Achilles this is an intolerable loss of time.
>>
File: 1461032960924.png (98KB, 612x491px) Image search: [Google]
1461032960924.png
98KB, 612x491px
>>8959594
>Time (tee-may)
>>
>>8959594
Thanks for the response, but there's this part I don't get: if the prizes are collected centrally then distributed after the battle what need is there to strip the dead enemies' armour during a battle? Wouldn't it be safer if it were done after the battle? The only reasons I can think of are 1) to destroy the enemy's morale 2) to ensure prizes of some sort in case your side flees the battle

Also why don't the Achaeans load Patroclus' body onto a chariot instead of carrying him all the way to the black ships?
>>
>>8959588
kill yourself piece of idiot
>>
>>8959665
thanks for the bump friend
>>
>>8959661
Sometimes you'd kill someone, strip him of his stuff, and then your side would retreat because it was losing.
>>
>>8959601

τιμη the Greek word for honour is pronounced tee-may.

The iota and eta are both long vowels.
>>
>>8959661
>if the prizes are collected centrally then distributed after the battle what need is there to strip the dead enemies' armour during a battle
It's because the enemy wants to rescue those armors too, not only they preserve their own fallen guys' honor by doing that, it's expensive gear.

No wonder there was a battle over the fallen Patroclus when he fought in Achilles' gear...

Look, it's the kind of looting you can do outside the enemy city walls.

And you have to imagine the Trojan War as a piracy operation that wasn't originally supposed to take 10 years to accomplish, so you probably want something to sell when you return home.

>why don't the Achaeans load Patroclus' body onto a chariot
It's dangerous. The chariot is not a tank, the horses are exposed to enemy fire and when running away you show your backs to the enemy, exposing them as well.

If you want armor, you want people with big shields and a panoplia around the thing on the ground.
>>
>>8959832
Thanks, this explains a lot.
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.