[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Grad School Application/GRE Prep Thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 2

File: apply_now.jpg (17KB, 340x200px) Image search: [Google]
apply_now.jpg
17KB, 340x200px
So, /his/, have you taken the GRE yet?

If so, how did you do? What are your test prep strategies?

>haven't taken it yet
>Manhattan 5 lb. book, vocab book, official ETS Gre prep book
>In sample tests end up middle-high 90th percentile for Verbal and mid 70's to mid 80's on Quant

Anyone got advice on upping Quantitative score? Good prep books/websites?

https://www.ets.org/gre/revised_general/prepare/powerprep2

Download and try the sample test and tell us how you did/what you are doing to improve
>>
This is /lit/.

Also, I dropped out of school when I was 13, so no, I haven't done anything of the sort.
>>
>>8957392
You're at /lit/, friend. But no, I have not. I'm torn on it's usefulness in my degree field and intended career in Emergency Management where' I'll live a life of continued training, education, and exercises anyway.
>>
>>8957392
school is for faggots
>>
Quant fucking sucks. I scraped mid-150s in the week I had to get half-remembered college algebra up to the level that I could make educated guesses on the GRE.

Best advice I can give for the GRE is to practice writing the essays, as many times as you can, in conditions simulating as much as possible the test conditions. Don't cheat at all, or futz around with the time limit, or preview the prompt and think about it before writing. Start a timer, look at a prompt fresh, for the first time, and try to produce something 6.0-worthy in 30 minutes. Get a good feel for how fucking impossible that is. Do this enough times that you run into some really obtuse prompts that you just can't get a feel for. That's what is likely to happen on testing day.
>>
File: cia mgs.gif (61KB, 156x267px) Image search: [Google]
cia mgs.gif
61KB, 156x267px
>Be European
>Take GRE
>Be reminded of year 9 arithmetic, only its multiple choice which makes it even easier
>End up getting several above the recommended score for MIT on the practice test
Doing the real one in October desu so I can apply to Mcgill
>>
I'm confident on everything but math. Man, I fucking suck at math.
>>
>>8957392
probably taking it this year, gonna start prepping at the end of the month/early feb.
>>
>>8959039
Good luck. Let's get a general test prep thread going.
>>
any thoughts on doing GRE prep while working a full time job? experience with in-person lessons/how helpful they were?

(scores if you want to share?)
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.