[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Just finished Infinite Jest

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 3

File: IMG_3155.jpg (60KB, 695x489px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3155.jpg
60KB, 695x489px
As title says, I finished IJ. It took me a couple of months but I read several books in between. To spare you guys a blog post and give this some real meaning or maybe start some actual discussion, let me say that it is very clear that this book REQUIRES a re read and if you are reading it now you should know this. No one is smart enough to catch the necessary details their first time through. Discuss the ending of this book with me before I lose my mind
>>
>>8954528
please dont waste anymore of your life rereading ij
>>
File: IMG_3166.jpg (503KB, 1188x898px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3166.jpg
503KB, 1188x898px
To start, can anyone explain how people are able to figure out the post-ending stuff? Is it explicitly mentioned in the text but not picked up because it appears to lack relavence the first time through?
>>
just fuck off please
>>
>>8954534
I don't want to, but if I don't I'm going to feel like I just wasted these past months reading it for the first time. Help please I'm losing my marbles here
>>
>>8954541
There are hella resources on this
>>
Although its important to form your own opinions on the text, don't be one of those plonkers who avoids complementary reading, especially with a book so monolithic. Chances are they will have made a lot of the same deductions you intuited in your first read.
>>
>>8954528
Since when does a good book REQUIRE a reread? That just means it was shit the first time, but since you didn't "get it" you had to slog through it a second time, and thanks to being a little more familiar with the text you pretend to notice new things that make it not-shit
>>
>>8954535
Reread the first chapter, which mentions some events after the end of the novel in passing. Everything else is just hinted at and requires extrapolation and addition. E.g., there are some hints that Orin beat Hal &co to Himself's grave and got the master copy of the Entertainment, thereafter starting the distribution by sending a copy (recall that he is at the post office during one phonecall with Hal) to the medical attache (one of his mother's lovers, mind you). There's a ton of stuff like this just hinted at, not fully explicit. I'm not sure it warrants a full reread, but be sure to Google it and see what the key pages are that others point to and try to connect some dots and build a picture for yourself.
>>
File: edgy faggit motherfucker.png (1MB, 1612x2278px) Image search: [Google]
edgy faggit motherfucker.png
1MB, 1612x2278px
>>8954528
fixed it for you
>>
>>8954541
The wraith is the narrator. He can read everyone's mind and jump forward and backward in time. The endnotes are not endnotes, they are one of several devices intended to create the impression of what it would be like for a human mind to be inundated with omniscience. They create the impression of lots of thoughts happening at the same time. The wraith explains all this in the text itself. It is not an interpretation.

The mach fighter and Johnny G's obsession with nuclear missiles, combined with Tine's plan to mass-mail cartridges of the safety warning, strongly imply that the master of IJ got copied and mass released, and the world ended in a nuclear holocaust similar to the Eschaton. There is also a note that Glad was the last ever year of subsidized time.

It's all in the archive. "Wraith" and "narrator."
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.