[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What is your genuine opinion of Salinger's work? Even Nabokov

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 5

File: JD_Salinger.jpg (87KB, 323x396px) Image search: [Google]
JD_Salinger.jpg
87KB, 323x396px
What is your genuine opinion of Salinger's work?

Even Nabokov called one of his short stories "one of the finest stories I've read in years"
>>
>>8953892
He's a genius. It's a shame he was such an unpleasant autist in his personal life, or he would be held in the same esteem as Joyce, Faulkner, Woolf, etc.
>>
>>8953935
More about his personal life please?
>>
>>8953892
hes OK
i r8 this m8 8/10

definetely not on these guys >>8953935 level
>>
>>8953892
He's my favorite writer, ever. Probably top 5 American writers of the 20th century, too, in my opinion. What a great guy. Supposedly some of his works will be released posthumously. His written dialogue amongst characters is fucking amazing, truly preeminent.
>>
Nabby has shit taste in books
>>
File: Nabby.png (93KB, 1805x624px) Image search: [Google]
Nabby.png
93KB, 1805x624px
>>8954002
>>
File: robbe grillet.jpg (28KB, 400x319px) Image search: [Google]
robbe grillet.jpg
28KB, 400x319px
>>8954002
>>
>>8953971
read his wiki, he basically had severe self-esteem issues and wouldn't publish anything, and later founded some bizarre cult thing and became a total recluse. If he kept a grip on his mental health he would have been a GOAT.
>>
>>8953892
it's genius, but in a way that is so easy to be misinterpreted that i usually refuse to even discuss with people
>>
>>8954002
this
>>
>>8953892
whats the consensus here on the catcher in the rye?
is it true that american school force students to read this book?
>>
>Jewish
>American

haha no thanks.
>>
>>8954002
It's true

http://wmjas.wikidot.com/nabokov-s-recommendations
>>
>>8954069
>is it true that american school force students to read this book?
mine did
>>
>>8954069
>>8954095
it's fucking absurd that kids are forced to read the book when Holden's very nature would be one opposed to being forced to read some perceivably "phony book."
>>
>>8954093
>>8954002
>Flaubert, Gustave. A favorite between the ages of 10 and 15, and thereafter. Read complete works between 14 and 15.
and now we have kids that read complete jk rowlings works between the 19~20
what went wrong?
>>
>>8954009
Who is this even about? It's mildly reminiscent of Scriabin, but it obviously can't be him.
>>
File: 1482213233634.jpg (124KB, 867x1024px) Image search: [Google]
1482213233634.jpg
124KB, 867x1024px
>>8954128
>>
Salinger's accessibility has overshadowed his genius. Not in line with Joyce, Kafa, Woof etc. People read it and think "oh it's considered literature AND I can follow it," leaving it with a line of followers that diminish his work's merit. That's probably why he was so elusive, all his followers were dumb teenagers leading him to believe that no one can truly grasp his work.
>>
>>8954235
>That's probably why he was so elusive, all his followers were dumb teenagers leading him to believe that no one can truly grasp his work.

Please watch this documentary, friend:

http://putlocker.ac/watch-salinger-online-free-putlocker-2013.html
>>
>>8954239
Seen it. It was a while ago but if I remember correctly he seemed to think that Catcher in the Rye's popularity and the fact that everyone could relate to Holden meant he wasn't unique after all and it was too much for him to take. He came to see himself as a component of the artificiality he was trying to disassociate from.
>>
The Catcher in the Rye is the teenage version of Notes from Underground
>>
>>8953892
fuck salinger
reminds me of my ex

chick lit
>>
>>8954676
Nope
>>
Salinger was an evil pedo.
>>
>>8954969
Elaborate
>>
>>8955017
I saw an interview on PBS where some lady talked about her relationship with him when she was 14 or 15. She claimed she was a little old for him at the time, and the interviewer chuckled.
>>
>>8954093
>war and peace
>uncritical of it's historical sources
Uncle Vlad confirmed for having skipped all the essay chapters
>>
>>8955023

that's not a pedo in the 1950s buddy.
>>
File: klgjdk.jpg (38KB, 500x334px) Image search: [Google]
klgjdk.jpg
38KB, 500x334px
>>8953892
>What is your genuine opinion of Salinger's work?

One of my favorites, an amazing writer. Franny and Zooey is my personal favorite.

From what I've read he is one of best at dialogue, intriguing characters, and presenting a scene, and is actually capable of having characters talk about subjects of substance that actually engage with the topic in a meaningful way rather than just bring it up. Specifically F&Z
>>
I read Catcher in the Rye some years ago.

I do not understand how it triggers this board so fucking much.

I'm probablay stupid.
>>
>>8955061
This. His works simply roll off your tongue
>>
>>8953971
He raped his sister
>>
>>8955061
Reread F&Z in a few years, you'll be embarrassed.
>>
>>8955632
Kek
>>
Love him, the short stories are great and Raise High The Roof Beam Carpenters is one of the few books that made me feel any genuine emotion.
>>
I cant tell whether his writing is trash or really great
>>
>>8954112
He was from an aristocratic family in the early 20th century. He was exposed to that cultural tradition from a young age
>>
>>8957065
Who, Nabokov or Salinger?
>>
>>8957094
Nabbo
>>
>>8957094
Me
>>
>>8953892
Decent author turned into an "essential" by American propaganda, I can't explain it otherwise. Nabokov's endorsement really means fuck all because his literary tastes are questionable at the very least.

>>8953935
You must be tripping balls
>>
>>8953892
Some of his stories are GOAT.

Some are weird because of Buddhism and whatever ideas he had crawling around his head.
>>
Say what you want to say about 'ole Salinger, but even if he didn't do anything else, he still wrote one of the most affecting short stories ever. A Perfect Day Bananafish makes most other writer's attempts at characterization seem almost embarrassingly artificial.
>>
>>8953892
he looks exactly like my dad
>>
You mean his wife's work
>>
>>8953892

what is your genuine opinion on my dick
>>
>>8953892
fucking pedophile mason
>>
>>8953892
autistic manchild that couldn't figure out his life
>>
>>8959960
>implying there's anything wrong with that
Thread posts: 51
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.