[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Where do I start with feminist philosophy and theory?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 4

File: 47832784786234.jpg (156KB, 491x700px) Image search: [Google]
47832784786234.jpg
156KB, 491x700px
Where do I start with feminist philosophy and theory?
>>
>>8952997
don't
i'm serious
>>
pls dont
>>
Honestly you only need to read the Second Sex.

Everything beyond that is hysterical misandry.
>>
File: Gender-Trouble-Book.jpg (40KB, 314x475px) Image search: [Google]
Gender-Trouble-Book.jpg
40KB, 314x475px
one of the bigger foundations in modern thought
>>
>>8952997
By throwing it in the trash. Find actual philosophy written by women or study the history and philosophies of past matriarchies... but god damn, avoid anything claiming to be feminist.
>>
>>8953002
I think Kristeva seems interesting... Are you sure?
>>
>>8952997
What do you get out of these threads? Genuinely curious. We know you're not sincere about learning feminist theory
>>
Stop with these bait threads, /pol/
>>
>>8953007
>misandry
>>
>>8953017
>>8953018
>bueee its a bait trhead
no I'm genuinely interested in feminist theory

what I'm not interested in is pop-feminism
>>
>>8952997
Why would you? It's in irrelevant ideology in our world and flawed to begin with. Why waste your time on trash?
>>
>>8953024
What?
>>
File: 51R2WGW01JL.jpg (57KB, 330x500px) Image search: [Google]
51R2WGW01JL.jpg
57KB, 330x500px
>>8952997
this is pretty much all you need anon
pretty good book actually and germaine was not averse to getting her tits out back in the day
also modern feminists get hissy about her because she said trans people are not real women. i like her.
>>
>>8953035
It might be flawed, but it's certainly not irrelevant. Every Western country is feminist in some kind of way at the governmental level.
>>
If I learn feminist theory will I pull birds?
>>
You start and stop with Rosa Luxemburg.
>>
>>8953052
no m8 that's ornithology
>>
>>8953052
I did after reading Butler. Then again I'm attractive so I probably could've talked like the frogmen and had the same result :-)
>>
Mary Wollstonecraft
Sor Juana Ines De La Cruz
Emma Goldman
Rosa Luxemburg
Simone de Beauvoir

You can skip the rest.
>>
>>8952997
Feminism is a purely reactionary movement, not worthy of critical evaluation.
>>
Don't
It will make you resentful and shit
If you decide to do it be sure to read some stuff about evolutionary psychology as well. Gender relations, as far as they are stable across cultures (which they are for a large part), are a result of our biology. This is sometimes shitty for women but it is sometimes shitty for men as well. The shitty for men part just tends to be ignored because we like to see women as victims. Also evolutionary biology btw. In a tribe individual women are more valuable and less replacable than men in terms of reproduction. One men can impregnate 20 women but it takes like 15 years for a woman to raise one child.
>>
The Vindication of the Rights of Women (Wollstonecraft)
Le deuxieme sexe (de Beauvoir)
Rosa Luxemburg
Virginia Woolf.
For the love of god, do not read anything a modern feminist recommends.
>>
>>8953325
Solid list, would second
>>
>>8953332
I tried reading Le Deuxieme Sexe in French (second language) and failed miserably...
>>
Don't forget to read Paglia's big book on feminism, coming out next year. I can't fucking wait.

All of her books are great. She repudiates the naivete of "Rousseauism" while keeping Enlightenment optimism and agency.
>>
>Fight Like a Girl
>The Beauty Myth
>Bad Feminist
>Female Chauvinist Pig
>We should All Be Feminist
>Men Explain Things To Me
>How to Be a Woman
Then go kill yourself out of despair for humanity.
>>
>>8953008
Is this good? I have a fear it will be incredibly dry even for philosophy
>>
>>8953069
post pic
>>
I just purchased Paglia's Sexual Personae because I really liked to hear her talk on youtube, she's a feminist not those marxist bitches
>>
>>8953306
Tough luck, the world is shitty.

Egalitarianism is a meme.
>>
>>8953343
Leave and never come back
>>
>>8952997
On Women by Schopenhauer
>>
>>8953608
I don't take orders from Reddit.
>>
>>8953343
>>8953575

Never heard of her before this thread, just watched a YouTube video of her savaging Hillary Clinton and Lena Dunham 10/10 are her books worth a look? I'm mostly interested in critiques of shitty modern 'feminsm'
>>
>>8953641
/thread
>>
>>8954858
She's a major critic of modern feminism in that she's a libertarian (not ancap, but self-determinationist) feminist. She has a very punchy, polemical style:
https://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Camille_Paglia

Her first book Sexual Personae is heavier on the lit theory, with a (vaguely) Freudian basis. Harold Bloom was a champion of it and of her.

If you want to hear someone lambaste modern feminism, she's pretty much #1.
>>
>>8953641
But Schopenhauer has never been On Women.
>>
>>8954865

Thanks anon, I'll check out her works. I don't mind chomping down on some heavier theory if the presentation and rationale behind it is sensible. It'd be nice to see a counterpoint to the hysterical pop-feminism we're stuck with these days
>>
>>8952997

anything by hemingway
>>
File: imasexperson.jpg (42KB, 324x499px) Image search: [Google]
imasexperson.jpg
42KB, 324x499px
>>8953343

my androgyne
>>
>>8952997
the garbage can.
>>
I was thinking of reading the second sex. What am I in for?
>>
>>8952997
Why would you pollute your mind with biased ideological noise?
>>
>>8952997
don't
feminism is bullshit
>>
>>8952997
The Dialectic of Sex is good because it's one of the few radfem books that actually has a sober view of sex as a biological reality (but still has insane prescriptions from that assumption)
>>
>>8953039
The woman who took photos of her butthole because it's progressive. I haven't read the book but I've seen her debates and she seems like a dishonest cunt
Thread posts: 47
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.