[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What do you use to read .epub books?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1

File: computer-questions.png (54KB, 300x225px) Image search: [Google]
computer-questions.png
54KB, 300x225px
I'm not very modern-minded when it comes to literature, and I've only recently gotten on the e-book bandwagon.

Please could you recommend (with instructions preferably) something I could use to open .epub books? I have a Kindle but I think those are in a different format?

Many thanks in advance.
>>
Software or hardware?
>>
You can upload your shit to Google Play Books and it stores bookmarks, highlights, etc.
>>
>>8949843
Um, software maybe? Like, I have a Kindle, and I have a laptop, so how do I use those two things (either/and/or) to read files?

>>8949847
Oh, that's cool. Even if I didn't get the books through Google Play?
>>
>>8949853
use calibre
>>
>>8949828
>>8950010
this. calibre.

1. the interface is clunky and ugly as fuck
2. despite that it has more features than anything else out there
3. you can convert between formats in a matter of three clicks or so.
4. kindle uses AZW3 last time i checked
5. calibre should recognise and offer a sync option for your reader when you plug it in.

personally i just use my phone, easier to sync, always got it with me, can download stuff on the go
>>
Sumatra for PC
Moon+ reader for Android
Xodo for android for mulriple reading tabs, what is good for studying.
>>
SumatraPDF for PC

Moon+ Reader for mobile
>>
>>8950025
thirding calibre, it's better than anything else I know of (even though that isn't saying much, all the options are pretty much shit)
>>
OP here, thank you all so much, looking into Calibre now, though the Google Books thing gave me a good workaround for what I need now.
>>
i don't get how you mad men read books from computer screen or phone
>>
>>8950392
i feel like it just takes getting used to. i read on the phone. convenience. first i only did it when i was out of the house but now i read pretty much everything on my phone.

PC, did it once, was horrible. just too tempting to distract yourself with something else
>>
>>8950417
I can't imagine reading from a bright display of phone.
>>
>>8950453
iphone displays adjust automatically, and switch to dark mode if you're in a dark room (eg, in bed); which is screen at lowest possible brightness, white text, black background. it's comfy.

something i really like are nonstandard apps that allow scrolling (rather than flipping pages), just feels very fluid

also for me personally, since i'm not an english native speaker, it's really essential to be able to look up words quickly
>>
>>8950489
I've tried, and I know how to set screen brightness to minimum but it's so much worse than reading a paper.
>>
>>8950499
objectively speaking the amount of light emitted can be the same as the amount reflected by paper. for me personally it was just a matter of getting used to the idea of reading off a screen, felt weird at first but the convenience of not having to carry a backpack just for a book won me over.

if you put a screen using the right brightness next to a sheet of paper, same text, same page size, somehow cover the phone parts, it's gonna look virtually the same.

it's obviously possible, given how there's plenty people who read from ereaders or phone screens exclusively.

i'm not trying to convince you, not like it makes any difference in outcome, just saying for me it was mostly in my head.

the haptic experience and smell of a book, typesetting, potential for illustrations, nice endpaper, cover etc getting lost bothers me more. i'm all about that.
>>
Reedy for android. If you have an amoled screen turn the night mode on and use it's spritz function.

Better yet get an ereader. Go for kobo glo instead of kindle,much better. epubs work on it.
>>
>>8952094
kobo glo a best
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.