[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/sffg/ - Science Fiction & Fantasy General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 315
Thread images: 48

File: warbreaker.jpg (110KB, 600x877px) Image search: [Google]
warbreaker.jpg
110KB, 600x877px
Fantasy
Selected:
>https://i.imgur.com/r688cPe.jpg
General:
>https://i.imgur.com/igBYngL.jpg
Flowchart:
>https://i.imgur.com/uykqKJn.jpg

Science Fiction
Selected:
>https://i.imgur.com/A96mTQX.jpg
>https://i.imgur.com/IBs9KE8.jpg
General:
>https://i.imgur.com/r55ODlL.jpg
>https://i.imgur.com/gNTrDmc.jpg

NPR's Top 100 Science Fiction & Fantasy Books:
>https://i.imgur.com/IJxTQBL.jpg

Previous Thread: >>8944286
>>
File: morningstar.jpg (234KB, 363x600px) Image search: [Google]
morningstar.jpg
234KB, 363x600px
>>8948239
Are David Gemmell's standalone fantasy books worth reading?

As far as I know he only wrote four:
>Knights of Dark Renown
>Morningstar
>Dark Moon
>Echoes of the Great Song
>>
>>8949727
What are books with evil protagonist? Not necessary full sauron-evil-for-the-sake-of-evil but defiantly not a good person. Also victims of circumstances don't count, person should clearly should make choices of bad path him/herself, not "choose" between dick in the ass and becoming assassin (Brent Week, you are disappointment).
>>
>>8949777
Mark Lawrence. Two trilogies, same universe, same time period in fact. First one is edgy murderous asshole protagonist, second one is funny lying asshole protagonist.
>>
>>8949795
is it pure fantasy?
i've heard it is post-apocalypse with sci fi elements but mostly fantasy
>>
>>8949777
inb4 some neckbeard says Black Company
>>
Do you guys think it's overdone having one character seduce another under false pretenses just to gain information?

Plotting out a story about a company town which is owned by a monolithic trading company where the main character is an agent sent by the state to investigate the rumors that the company bigwigs are actually looking to using their power to make themselves kings, and my first instinct was to have her sleep her way to the information she's after but that might be too on the nose.
>>
File: Sanderson Spurdo.jpg (66KB, 853x543px) Image search: [Google]
Sanderson Spurdo.jpg
66KB, 853x543px
>>8949727
>changed to shill a god
You did good cosmere-kun
>>
>>8949805
"Magic is science that has yet to be explained"
>>
File: Author Burglar.png (1MB, 1000x720px) Image search: [Google]
Author Burglar.png
1MB, 1000x720px
>>8949856
Stop trying to make this a thing. We are not your fucking sounding board. Get out.
>>
>>8949881
>he says as he keeps forcing his atrocious memes
wow mr photoshop man it's so subtle
>>
>>8949881
You really love your word art don't you?
>>
>>8949777
Thomas Covenant? Dude's a rapist at least.
>>
>>8949727
Went in for a long over due visit to Powell's City of Books and found out I had somehow missed three Brandon Sanderson books. Had no idea sequels to The Alloy of Law had come out, or a compilation of Cosmere short stories for that matter.
>>
>>8949777
The Prince of Nothing trilogy by R Scott Bakker and to a lesser extent its sequel series The Aspect Emperor
>>
>>8949935
>Kellhus
>protagonist
What, like 20% of the book or less was from Kellhus's POV, right? Akka is the true protagonist, even if he is a cuck.
>>
>>8949945
Kellhus is the villain protagonist of the first two books in the series at the very least.

Then from the third book on practically none of it is in his perspective.
>>
>>8949935
Kellhus did nothing wrong.
>>
>>8949972
Go to sleep, Proyas
>>
>>8949972
Except Esmi
>>
Where's the go to for ebook downloads? I'm looking for MOBI format for my kindle.
>>
>>8949893
PowerPoint is the best.

>>8949887
>2017
>not using gimp
I'm not the one who tell the wannabe authors to fuck off on a regular basis. It used to be okay bouncing ideas but these guys are making it a regular thing.

They know if they go in the writing general or post in outer lit they will get no yous, so they return like a stray dog who got fed a few times. Never feed strays.
>>
>>8949856
Honeypot is spying 101

Happens in every bond film
>>
>>8950002
Use the sticky and calibre
>>
>>8950002
>http://bookzz.org/
>>
>>8949972
>DONT TRUST HI-
>>
>>8950035
>>8950038
thank
>>
>>8950029
>It used to be okay bouncing ideas but these guys are making it a regular thing.

If only there was a board for people who like to read and write. Shame we all have to piggyback on this philosophy board.

o w8
>>
>>8949972
They make us love! THEY NAKE US LOVE!
>>
File: Be_Very_Afraid.png (44KB, 413x585px) Image search: [Google]
Be_Very_Afraid.png
44KB, 413x585px
>>8949881
If they keep this up I'm gonna start writing catgirl stories. No one wants to see that. I don't want to see that.
>>
Okay, I've thought that story basis over and here's what I've got

>the heroine is a street urchin who steals anything, even stuff she doesn't need, because she wants anything and everything
>one day she hears of the trickster goddess three-tailed bast, whose magic collar is said to grant anyone who wears it the power to control colors, and decides to steal the collar for herself
>after baiting the goddess with a bed of catmint watered with holy water, she manages to steal the collar, but not one to be outdone three tailed bast steals her humanity in retaliation, turning her into a tailless cat
>the godddess is impressed with the young thief, and sets her on three tests to prove she is worthy of the collar and smart enough to use it. with each completed task she will gain one of the goddess's tails
>after completing the three tasks and earning all three tails, Bast shows the street urchin her own reflection, revealing that she has become the new three-tailed Bast
>Bast uses the stolen humanity and turns into a girl, which she runs away with and is never found again

The only thing I'm not sure about is whether I should make it so that there's a time loop involved, and three-tailed bast was the street urchin all along. I don't want to do that because of my adherence to my personal mythology, but it would certainly be a fun plot twist
>>
>>8950029
It used to be inoffensive with your floating cutouts and bad fonts but now you're trying to cement your brand or something.
>>
>>8950051
There are plenty of threads dedicated to wannabe writers. Go find one.
>>
>>8950098
The ending is already fine, leave out the time loop.
>>
>>8950110
People talked about writing in this general long before you started churning out your stupid memes.
>>
>>8949777
Slick Des Grieux in the Hammer's Slammers story "The Warrior."
>>
>>8950155
Also Joachem Steuben, he's not a main character but shows up in a lot of the stories leading the White Mice, the Slammer's intel/internal affairs/secret police department.
>>
>>8949836
Black Company is a way better recommendation than any of the responses he's gotten so far.
>>
File: anomander-rake.jpg (1MB, 1900x2872px) Image search: [Google]
anomander-rake.jpg
1MB, 1900x2872px
>fanfic OC: the character
>>
>>8950347
>stars in 31 New York Times best-selling novels
>you're just a virgin posting about fantasy novels on an image board for Japanese cartoons
>>
>>8950399
There are 31 of these things?
>>
>>8950427
no
>>
So im reading the black company and im about to finish the first book of the south. Should i read The Silver spike or just keep reading the mainline stuff. I like Croker and the main guys and the notion of a book focusing on Raven, Silent and Darling doesnt really appeal.
>>
>>8949739
>whiny
Fair.
>entitled
Somewhat. Though it's not like they didn't all work their asses off at Brakebills.
>depressed
Being depressed is a real problem and having lots of shit doesn't fix that.
>cocksucker
There's nothing to suggest that Quentin sucked any cocks.
>literal homosexual tendencies
Pretty obviously he's bi at most. Or was so hammered he just let Eliot kiss him because he didn't want to stop fucking Janet.

Also, they all grow quite a bit between the first and second books.
>>
>>8950751
don't forget him being incredibly butthurt when he walks in on Elliot is slobbing on someone else's knob instead of his.
>>
>>8951015
Incredibly butthurt is a pretty strong way of putting it when it was one, maybe two lines about how he wished Eliot were attracted to him and then, "wait, no, I don't think I could actually have sex with him, and then he'd be upset."

And this is when he was ALREADY quite butthurt that Eliot was ignoring him.

That said, I would fuck the whole main group in the show, male and female.
>>
https://chelseapitcher.blogspot.com/2014/04/diversify-your-shelves.html

Do you make sure you don't just read books by old white guys?
>>
>>8951039
I occasionally read books by middle aged white guys
>>
>>8951039
Actively? No. But it works out such that I don't, because some books interest me that weren't written by old white guys.
>>
File: trumperor.png (457KB, 498x833px) Image search: [Google]
trumperor.png
457KB, 498x833px
>>8951039

This is why we need drumpf
>>
>>8949727

No "To KILL a God" in the charts?
Why?
>>
>>8951341
Kill yourself.
>>
>>8951346

It's literally the boku no pico of /sffg/, there's no reason why it shouldn't be in the charts
>>
>>8949777
Are there any books with an evil little girl?

Besides the first Anita Blake, and she wasn't a protag.
But that isn't a problem.
>>
>>8949881
These are getting obnoxious. This one and the /pol/ one, especially.
>>
>>8950118
I was the one that churned out the meme not that anon and I was here since day one of this general. You wannabe authors are getting fucking annoying and making the thread go sanic fast and we (who actually read) can't discuss shit because it all about muh cat thief, muh moth plague, muh dungeon crawler, muh orphan circus slave, muh aliens, muh dad in a cabal, etc.

Just fuck off already. It's sffg not sffwg. You gave you faggets a few scraps and now you behave like you are entitled to it. Make / go into one of the writing threads.
>>>/lit/critique
>>>/lit/writ
>>
>>8951518
There have been 4 threads in the past 5 days, including this new one. There was just a period of two hours in which no one posted at all. I don't really think this thread is moving too fast.
>>
>>8951548

What you're doing is against the rules but what the other guy's doing isn't.
Just for your information
>>
File: empress2.jpg (32KB, 311x500px) Image search: [Google]
empress2.jpg
32KB, 311x500px
>>8951377
Enjoy
>>
File: Hey Pol.jpg (1MB, 3192x2124px) Image search: [Google]
Hey Pol.jpg
1MB, 3192x2124px
>>8951384
I'm sorry this subtle pic of writing advice fags trying to break into our general offends you pol-kun. Didn't mean to trigger.
>>
>>8951541
Threads lasted days. Now it's finishing in 1 day.(maybe school is closed?)
>>
>>8951557
Is she evil because she doesn't want to be a slave, wear rags, and have dirty hair?
>>
>>8951554
What did I do that is against the rules? Counting is against the rules now? And so what if I read 3 interplanetary books? What's the problem?
>>
>>8951573
One thread every one day is fine, and we're getting substantially less than that. I understand fast-moving threads can bump preferred discussion too high up and replace it with a new thread too quickly, but that simply isn't the case here.
>>
>>8951575
Does it matter? Read the fucking evil little girl protagonist and leave us be for a while.
>>
>>8951577

>Announcing reports
>Announcing you're going to use proxies to report 3 times

Meanwhile the other guy
>Recommends a book
>>
>>8951597
Fuck off and kill yourself Stevian.
>>
>>8951585
I'm not the anon who asked for evil little girl protagonists, or for any little girl protagonists, for that matter. I just saw the question and the answer and thought I'd ask what made the character evil.
>>
>>8951602

I'm not Stevian and I'm not the guy who keeps recommending Stevian's book or putting Stevian's book in the charts
You appear schizophrenic
>>
>>8951612
Yeah you are. Kill yourself.
>>
>>8951579
Yeah but I(being the autist I am) read the entire thread.. every single time. That is why these writing fags are getting to me.

I come in my free time when I'm not reading and spend an hour reading through 150+ posts, some being huge ass paragraphs about the world/character they are fleshing out. It used to be infrequent, but these guys are posting everyday now(sometimes multiple times a day).

If we don't stamp it out now other wannabe authors will come in and we won't be able to discuss shit. It wasn't a problem when it was that one guy (who I think said he gave up) but now we have at least 3 wannabes in the general.

What happens when the writing advice fags in outer lit starts posting their tg tabletop or twilight - hunger games knockoffs? We won't be able to discuss shit.

You see some of them are already entitled telling us to fuck off when they are posting asking for writing advice in a discussion thread?
>>
>>8951597
Where in my post >>8951548 says anything about reports?
Stop manufacturing stories and slandering my posts.
>>
>>8951623
I understand your slippery slope argument. If this thread was active like some of the top threads on /vg/ or /b/ (God forbid) I'd agree. But if we excised the blogposts the shitposts and the writer posts, we'd have very very slow threads indeed. The current speed is okay, and if it picks up significantly we can turn on the aspiring authors then.
>>
>>8951608
Oh. Thought you were the autist. It's because she is a man hater. It's a good book if you can deal with the repetitious braid tugging, and other phrases.
I however couldn't, so I dropped the series at book one. Not touching the sequels.
>>
>>8951647
>But if we excised the blogposts the shitposts and the writer posts
Why are you talking about random things no one said anything about? The only ones that aren't allowed to post here are writers, because a thread for them already exists. That's all. Everything else stays like usual.
>>
>>8951661
But the writers are talking about sci fi and fantasy, albeit their own. The shitposters and blogposters are far worse, not only in terms of content but also in quantity.
>>
>>8951612
>schizophrenic
You know it's more than one person who is pissed that you keep posting that shit book in our OP right?

Now it's getting annoying, you don't want me to make a poorly shooped wordart pic showing how you are annoying us do you? I don't want to waste the time doing it, the anons in this thread don't want to burn their eyes seeing it.

Just stop m-kay?
>>
>>8951667
The sci-fi /fantasy they are talking about is one where they are the only readers. How the fuck can we discuss shit? It's be like playing the imagination game.

The shitposting is on topic so it's okay. It's only when they try to troll us books that there is a problem. When the thread first started we had a guy recommending a book for everything people asked for(can't recall the book) but we finally got him banned. He stopped doing it/left because he saw he couldn't troll here.

I wouldn't ban the wannabe authors, they are not trolling but they don't belong in here. If they want to discuss books and ask if those books would work in x that is a way for them to stay on topic. But we aren't a fucking sounding board. Let them post their ideas in outer lit.
>>
>>8951667
That's unique to all of 4chan and has nothing to do with the topic of separating two extremely different userbases. That's like saying a thread about football should allow basketball as well because "shitposting" is worse than the addition of it.
Writers have a thread and there is absolutely nothing stopping them from using it. The only people who actively post outside of it are people afraid of criticism from people who actually have writing experience (thus write garbage) and/or want to advertise (like Stevian). Neither are wanted here.
>>
>>8951733
what about the ones that want specific discussions about their scifi/fantasy stuff? The whole point of lit is a place for readers and writers. But by all means shit on the shit writers and shills.
>>
>>8951753
>The whole point of lit is a place for readers and writers.
Yes, and the point of this general is for readers to discuss books they read. We can't have a discussion when only one person read the book. Unless they are going to read to us while our heads are in their lap and ask us questions afterwards.

The blogposters (mostly tripfags) instead of posting on goodreads so others can see when they go to that particular book, they write huge reviews that take at least 30 minutes to formulate and type. The threads 404 eventually and all their works are lost. Never understood tripfags.

Not the guy you responded to btw.
>>
>>8951753
>their
Why don't you make a discussion about books most people read and can relate with instead and get ideas from that? You want to talk about your magic systems? Bring up a book you've read with one, write a good critique and what you like and dislike about it etc. and people will respond. It's so easy to make discussion without making it exclusive to only yourself. Quoting the content of your book and saying "please fix this" is boring because no one can relate.
>The whole point of lit is a place for readers and writers
This is /sffg/ however. Invading places that clearly don't want you is obnoxious. You are free to make a thread on /lit/ whenever you wish, and people who want to interact with you will respond.
>>
>>8951810
I'm not the one posting my shit in this thread, just being contrary.
>>
>>8951640

See this post you made
>>8938760
>>
File: FalseSun.jpg (234KB, 1440x792px) Image search: [Google]
FalseSun.jpg
234KB, 1440x792px
Shaeönanra did nothing wrong.
>>
>>8949856
Depends on how its written. As a concept, no I do not believe it to be overdone. Why? Because espionage through seduction will always be relevant as it has been ongoing for millenia.
>>
>>8951623
>I am literally too autistic to skip writing advice posts
>>
>>8949727
Before you read any of NPR's top 100 remember that most of them are extremely problematic.
>>
>>8952048
>I am literally too autistic to click on the right thread
>>
These threads are too fast lately.
>>
>>8951567
I don't go on /pol/, I just find that your dull and repetitive posts drag down the already low quality of these threads.
>>
>>8952055
>I do not understand the concept of outer /lit/
>>
>>8951966
>Spending eternity hopping living inside old quad amputees
>>
>>8951660
>Thought you were the autist.
...because you never understood that the little girl protagonist was a joke, pulled by multiple anons? How is it possible to project this hard?
>>
>>8951810
>Quoting the content of your book and saying "please fix this" is boring because no one can relate.
I agree wholeheartedly. Writers should post short concepts only, link prose in a pastebin only by request, and generally only be asking if someone else has done their thing before.
>>
>>8952095
Better than being too beta to avoid damnation.
>>
Just want to say thank you to whoever recommended House of Blades. This is some badass shit.

I was having trouble settling on a book I could really get into but the writing in this one is at just the right level for me.
>>
Is Foundation another one of those sci fi books with no characterization and substandard writing?
>>
>>8952351
It's dated, yes.
>>
>>8952352
>dated
>no characterization
Whatever you think of the writing in older books, characterization is not a new invention.
>>
>>8952351
>Muh characters

The overreaching story and underlying premise is good enough 2bh.
>>
>>8952375
>muh story
Not that anon, but characterization is more important than plot.

If either one sucks, the whole thing is bad, though.
>>
>>8952375
For reference I disliked Dune.
>>
>>8950399
What?
>>
>>8950347
That actually looks pretty sweet. Not how I imagined him though.
>>
>>8951039
Nah I just read good stuff and it works out like that 99% of the time.
>>
>>8952380
>>If either one sucks, the whole thing is bad, though.
This, neither's an excuse.
>>
>>8950347
Nega-Elric
>>
>>8951907
>implying that was me
Prove that was me. I am waiting.
>here is your (you)
>>
File: 1481497095274.jpg (433KB, 1680x1260px) Image search: [Google]
1481497095274.jpg
433KB, 1680x1260px
>>8952066
I'm making memes for all of us to share. These memes are things that happen in every thread. What's a general without culture to back it.

People find it funny and that's all that matters. You can't please everyone, so I will please the few I can.

Does this wordart also trigger you?

>tfw people save my OC
>>
>>8952100
At first it was one anon posting it over and over because he didn't get replies until it became a joke. I think he still lurks here.

It's like the low iq anon that used to ask questions, although I haven't seen him around lately though.
>>
File: 18047306.jpg (166KB, 297x475px) Image search: [Google]
18047306.jpg
166KB, 297x475px
>>8952320
*"move so fast that it seems I teleported" behind you*
>nothing personnel traveller
Glad you enjoyed it. Now meme it like it was memed to me. Let everyone know who is the real king of anime in prose.
>hint: it isn't Sanderson
>>
>>8952609
The Wolfe one is fine. The /pol/ one is egregiously used to 'punish' people who express an opinion that is 'too right-wing'. I don't know if it's you doing it, or other people, but it's very annoying.
>>
>>8952666
Both left and right evangelizing are cancerous, desu.
>>
>>8949881
I'm enjoying these.
>>
>>8952644
red rising is basically anime
>>
>>8952676
I agree. Left-wing evangelising was exactly what happened a few threads back with that global warming 'discussion'.
>>
>>8952627
Yeah or like the gay rape and incest anon or his imitator who started the short-lived friend, I see you are trying to make me a meme meme.
>>
File: Pol in SFFG.jpg (1MB, 1300x867px) Image search: [Google]
Pol in SFFG.jpg
1MB, 1300x867px
>>8952666
Oh you mean this one?

How long were you in this general? Early mid last year pollies used to come in lit (and our general) and pol post about trump. They weren't even trying to blend in and talk about books. The "quote" the baby is using is a direct copy paste of the post one of the pollies posted (before mods stepped in and started dropping the hamma). It really has no use now but if someone is overly polesque I post it so they can calm down(and they usually do).
>>
>>8952775
Yes, that exact one. Not a week ago some guy mentioned how it was funny how people were going nuts over a melting glacier on Mars, and someone posted that image in response and told him to fuck off to /pol/. Completely ridiculous.
>>
>>8950347
>Drizzit, Anomander, Elric of Melbourne, and Geralt of Rivera walk into a nameless tavern, four cloaked old men beckon them over while the tavernmaster pulls a crossbow out from under the counter and shouts "what is this, a glam metal concert?!"
>>
>>8952794
That post read like he was saying that global warming didn't exist and we should put ourselves before the environment, myself and multiple anons took that was what he meant. And he later proved that was exactly what he saying.

But lets stop that right here. Don't want to derail the thread.
>>
>>8950347
I always imagined him more human looking. Hard to imagine somebody looking like that just chilling in a tent with Whiskeyjack or going to a party in Darujistan.
>>
>>8952840
It was in response to a post about Kim Stanley Robinson's Red Mars. And I didn't later prove anything about it.

But let's stop that right here. Don't want to derail the thread and risk not having the last word.
>>
>>8952856
>or going to a party in Darujistan
To be fair, it was a costume party and he was wearing a mask.
>>
File: images.jpg (105KB, 719x1080px) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
105KB, 719x1080px
Anyone read this?
I enjoyed those Dante Valentine books.
>>
>>8952861
Okay anon lets end it here. What did you read recently? I just finished fevre dream.
>>
>>8952840
We can stop this after I point out that people are allowed to disbelieve in man-made global warming, and that it isn't incumbent on you or anyone to act as some kind of milquetoast commissar on an Andalusian reed-weaving forum.
>>
>>8952891
That goes both ways, buddy.
>>
Is this what you trying to slip me "thing itself "-kun?
Philosophy?
>>
Rec me books that were released last year.
>>
>>8952880
I haven't read it, but I like the cover.
>>
>>8952880
This looks like trash but I'd probably enjoy it
>>
>>8953213
Ninefox Gambit was really fuckin good, one of the best scifi stories I've read in years.
>>
>>8952891
>people are allowed to disbelieve in man-made global warming
People are also allowed to believe that the world is flat, but it doesn't make them any less retarded.
>>
File: 27833610.jpg (51KB, 312x475px) Image search: [Google]
27833610.jpg
51KB, 312x475px
>>8953213
>>
>>8953213
The Paper Menagerie by Ken Liu
>>
>>8953406
>Ken Liu
>thinks I'm touching him after grace of kings or should I say Grace of Cucks
>>
>>8953389
Or you less autistic for letting them make the thread about themselves. Especially when they mention Discworld being flat and you go off at them for how stupid they are for saying Earth is flat.
>>
>>8953450
paper menagerie is a anthology of short stories that I think is superior to grace of kings.
>>
>>8953213
that aren't already part of ongoing series?
>>
>>8953389
You can browse pictures from space, attach a camera to a balloon, or look at the horizon from an aircraft to see that the world is round. There's no hard, irrefutable evidence that can prove anthropic climate change without a shadow of a doubt. It's all circumstantial. This is coming from someone who believes in anthropic climate change btw. It's hardly the same thing. Congrats on the derail though.
>>
>>8953528
>anthology of short stories
I'm glad these are coming back.
>>
I need some good literary sci-fi from within the last 5 years or so.
>>
>>8949727
What decent (preferably fantasy) novel has a cynical MC?
>>
File: 234225.jpg (40KB, 301x475px) Image search: [Google]
234225.jpg
40KB, 301x475px
So I hear the original Dune book was decent but what about the sequels and prequels? Are they worth reading as well and can Dune work as a stand alone novel?
>>
File: dune.jpg (1022KB, 1144x2560px) Image search: [Google]
dune.jpg
1022KB, 1144x2560px
>>8953619
>>
>>8952391
>dislikes Dune
>dislikes Foundation

Did you like the Hunger Games and Harry Potter?
>>
>>8953639
I haven't read Foundation. For posting on a board that deals with reading, you still have some work to do
>>
>>8950098
I'm a little unsatisfied with this. I like it, but I think it would be more fun if instead of it being a girl turned into a cat, it's a cat being turned into a human, and she has to earn back her tail, ears and body separately

I say this because I can't think of how a cat would pull off 3 great capers without thumbs, or how a human would hear of a feline god
>>
>>8953639
Yes, and get ready for a red pill here, YA is usually better than non YA novels. They know how to properly make the reader feel immersed and they do not use huge words so you aren't reading a dictionary with it. YA knows how to pluck at the heart strings because it isn't afraid to play with emotions. Other novels have to worry about being "sophisticated" and lose a lot of the feelings and emotions it could be portraying. If I wanted to feel like a robot I'd read philosophy.
>>
>>8953657
bold
>>
File: yrthhjg.jpg (23KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
yrthhjg.jpg
23KB, 480x360px
>>8953657
>liking YA in lieu of Herbert and Asimov
>redpilled
>>
>>8953673
Could be worse, he could like Clarke in lieu of Herbert and Asimov.
>>
File: 4e5.jpg (56KB, 625x626px) Image search: [Google]
4e5.jpg
56KB, 625x626px
>>8953657
>books for adults are afraid to make you feel
Too obvious.
>>
>>8953644
>>8953657
Eragon > LoTR confirmed
>>
>>8953682
Is this the beginning of the neojuvenile movement?
>>
File: Sci-fi_vs_Literary_Fiction.jpg (167KB, 600x395px) Image search: [Google]
Sci-fi_vs_Literary_Fiction.jpg
167KB, 600x395px
Just finished Long Earth, it was good, one of the better new sci fi books I've read, but I remember hearing Pratchet became less involved in the next two.

Should I keep going?
>>
>>8953678
Go ahead and give some examples of books that make you feel that are adult novels.

Go on I'm waiting
>>
>>8953734
I'll do it without leaving the realm of sci-fi and fantasy.

>Use of Weapons
>The Magicians
>Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?
>The Price of Pain-Ease
>Frankenstein
>>
File: pepe-the-frog-meme-17.png (57KB, 500x382px) Image search: [Google]
pepe-the-frog-meme-17.png
57KB, 500x382px
>>8953678
YA novels are the only ones that make me laugh, cry, scared or feel any gosh damned emotion anymore.
>>
>>8953610
Cabal the necromancer series.
>>
File: 6993091.jpg (54KB, 309x475px) Image search: [Google]
6993091.jpg
54KB, 309x475px
>>8953734
>>
File: hyperion.jpg (85KB, 387x590px) Image search: [Google]
hyperion.jpg
85KB, 387x590px
>>8953734
>>
I want something with deep, sometimes painful character exploration and a willingness to dwell on those sorts of things, but also mind-blowing, mayhem-filled action sequences. I'd prefer if it were written in the last few years but am not too picky on that.

Sci-fi and fantasy are both fine.
>>
>>8953776
Son of the Black Sword.
>>
>>8953734
>>
>>8952391
>>8953657
>>8953619
>>8953633

So I just finished Dune.

I thought the world building regarding the Fremen of Arrakis was truly epic. The whole idea of the Bene Gesserit planting the Missionaria Protectiva, learning to ride the sandworms, Paul's concern of avoiding the coming Jihad, the spice melange etc. All brilliant concepts.

However, the actual execution of this story is really poor. Paul is far too overpowered, as is Jessica. The Sardaukar offer very little threat to the Fremen. The whole House Harkonnen storyline is lame, as is the way they take over Arrakeen. Characters are never truly fleshed out, and when characters show up again, it's difficult to care.

The end of the novel is just ridiculous. The emperor of the fucking universe and the ruling House Harkonnen are all held up at Arrakeen, and get rekt by the Fremen because of a storm/atomic blast. The idea of Paul being able to destroy the pre-spice mass is great, but having him crush the forces of the Harkonnen's/Sardaukar so easily takes all of the tension out.

Why don't we see mass genocide against the city folk by the Fremen to give us some understading of their potential fanaticism? It would have been so much better if Paul really had to fear them. The problem is, he's so fucking overpowered with fantastical abilities that he essentially IS a religious prophet, or a god. It would have been awesome if he had to kill Stilgar and do other things to keep the Fremen believing in him. At no point did I feel like there was a danger he'd be exposed as a false prophet. At no point did it truly feel like the Fremen were being hunted.

I also became pretty fucking lost during some of Jessica's rituals and Paul's spice trips. They aren't described well at all.

So yeah, I felt there was amazing potential for an epic story here, but it's hard for me to want to continue when so many things are so badly fleshed out. Anyone else feel similar to this?
>>
>>8953774
>>8953759
>>8953752
>>8953743

I noticed all of these books are pretty fucking old. Anything new? Didn't think so or else you'd provide it. Also, hardly any of these are fantasy.

>>8953791
this is YA good example
>>
File: Suggestion Chart.jpg (699KB, 1000x4000px) Image search: [Google]
Suggestion Chart.jpg
699KB, 1000x4000px
>>8953784
>mind blowing
>painful character exploration
>son of the black brainwash
>>
>>8953725
They're not terrible after that or anything, just a bit less funny and imaginative. Mars has some good bits.
>>
>>8953796
>pretty fucking old
There was a Johannes Cabal book published last year.
>>
>>8953796
how many goalposts you want to move at once?
>>
>>8953795
>the return of the blogposter
Just post your reviews in goodreads and give us short to the point experiences you would like to discuss.
Nothing worse than reading someone who waxes poetic in their review.

Will be making a meme for this next.
>>
File: 4703427.jpg (31KB, 308x475px) Image search: [Google]
4703427.jpg
31KB, 308x475px
>>8953796
>>
>>8953796
>all of these books are pretty fucking old
First, way to move the goalpost. A minute ago no adult novels made people feel. Now we're limiting it to CONTEMPORARY adult novels.

Second, The Magicians trilogy came out 2009-2014. Do you need something from the past week or what?

Also,
>Use of Weapons is sci-fi
>The Magicians is fantasy
>Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? is sci-fi
>The Price of Pain-Ease is fantasy
>Frankenstein is speculative fiction from a time before there was a clear distinction between sci-fi and fantasy

Did we decide to ditch science fiction as well? It has to be fantasy?
>>
Hey sffg

I got The Traitor Baru Cormorant and Neverwhere.

Which should I bring with me while being away from home for a while?
>>
File: Modern Fantasy Recs V2.jpg (2MB, 2000x3000px) Image search: [Google]
Modern Fantasy Recs V2.jpg
2MB, 2000x3000px
>>8953796
>>>8953752 (You) #
Um.. that wasn't in response to your fucking shitposting. It was for another anon.
>>
>>8953815
Sorry, I just finished the book and wanted to talk about it.
>>
>>8953817
Is that the one with the sadess natural high mage ever? The one who an hero'd for his "friends"? That teared me up. Probably was because my eyes were irritated and tired from reading.
>>
>>8953841
No problem. That's what the general is here for. But don't give people blogposts to read first.
>>
>>8953845
Nah that was Reaper's Gale. This was Hetan being hobbled.
>>
File: 21110048.jpg (48KB, 310x475px) Image search: [Google]
21110048.jpg
48KB, 310x475px
>>8953796
decent amount of feel in this one
>>
>>8953815
Please don't.
>>
>>8953854
>implying it was as good as the first book
>>
>>8953861
i fucked up meant blood song
>>
>>8953851
>you will never protect her from being used as a cum dump by others just so she can be your cum dump
Am I a sick fuck if I got turned on when she was broken and offered herself at the drop of a pin and made those animals rutting noises?
>>
>>8953854
Feel of slow kindling hatred, disappointment and disgust you mean? Which conflagrated in the third book?
>>
>>8953860
Don't know what I would use as a template. And my heart is not into it. The little guy is just excited and wants to discuss with us desu.
>>
>>8953880
nah I just fucked up the cover. Sstill accurate though, didn't read three.
>>
File: pierce-brown.jpg (214KB, 990x885px) Image search: [Google]
pierce-brown.jpg
214KB, 990x885px
>>8953890
The only new author who I read that was published recently and didn't fuck up their third book was the red rising author.
>unhewn throne
>powder mage
>blood song trilogy
They all fucked up the third book(sometimes the second too)
>>
>>8953833
Baru.
I found Neverwhere to be cringeworthy at times. The Angel was good though.
>>
File: Plz kill me.jpg (126KB, 1106x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Plz kill me.jpg
126KB, 1106x1080px
>>8953922
>tfw chad wears a neckbeard and looks good and will get even more pussy now that he is an author

It isn't fair
>>
>>8953922
>didn't fuck up their third book
Morning Star's pacing was terrible. There was too much added. Could have cut out the valkyries entirely, or just had Sevro do it and make a novella. The entire Martian South Pole arc did nothing except make Aja more formidable, and he could have done that offscreen.

Not knocking the valkyries, that whole scene with the old queen was pure gold, it just took wind out of the main plot's sails.
>>
>>8953922
>The only new author who I read that was published recently and didn't fuck up their third book was the red rising author
They severely fucked up in my eyes. Jackal was underdeveloped and the 'I will launch nukes' threat caused plenty of cringeworthy moments. Especially because there was an off button.
>>
>>8953922

reading Morning Star now. To all who were shilling Red Rising have a collective pat on the back.

To anyone who's holding off due to YA reservations just get it over with.
>>
>>8953940
>chad
Pierce Brown is an elf.
>>
>>8953946
Golden Son was one long hypecoaster, wasn't it? I almost want to reread just it right now.
>>
>>8953952
Golden Son was the only good book in the entire trilogy.
The first and the third were truly godawful.
>>
>>8953941
It still ended better and flowed better than those books I listed ESPECIALLY WHEN COMPARED TO THE THIRD UNHEWN THRONE BOOK
FUCK ADARE
>>
>>8953941
Ragnar's death went on way too fucking long but his sister's denouement was worth it
>>
>>8953946
it's the first time in as long as I can remember I've immediately started the follow-up. Compelled.
>>
>>8953966
meant for>>8953952
>>
>>8953943
>builds a nuke and doesn't have a way to turn it off
What if someone stole it from you? Wouldn't you like a way to NOT get nuked by your own bomb?
>>
>>8953957
REMOVE ADARE
REMOVE ADARE
>>
>>8953973
The 'off' button and the bomb threat is the most overused science fiction cliche.

Pierce Brown's works still need more polish.
>>
>>8953973
>being a proppa Jackal
>not getting nuked by your own bomb
Did Darrow make him cut off his other hand? I remember waiting for it the whole book.
>>
>>8953986
He's our age though, has plenty of time.
>>
File: Red Rising Spurdo Blank.jpg (107KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
Red Rising Spurdo Blank.jpg
107KB, 1024x768px
>>8953946
Welcome to the fold brother. When you are finished will you give the honor of making the darrow spurdo text?
>>
>>8953986
young yet. Is Iron Gold really coming out this year?
>>
anyone else translate moon lord into meme lord in their head?
>>
File: Goodreads 2016 Year in Books.jpg (2MB, 684x7663px) Image search: [Google]
Goodreads 2016 Year in Books.jpg
2MB, 684x7663px
>>8953966
Same I had to force myself to read something else because I didn't want to sour myself on the books. But I was thinking of red rising while reading so I rushed the book i was reading and started golden son.
>>
>>8953987
I think him cucking the jackal with his own sister was enough.
>you will never experience the best prime genetic stock pussy money can buy
Why live?
>>
>>8953995
I gave you one like three threads ago.
>>
>>8954017
>lists golden son as 4 stars
Didn't like it?
>>
>>8953934
>The Angel
what is this?
>>
>>8954055
You'll find out when you read it. Gaiaman is very British.
>>
>>8954055
It's a character in Neverwhere.
>>
>>8954065
Alrighty. Although I don't know much about the British so I'm sure that'll go over my head. Thanks though
>>
>>8953995
Seriously. I'd otherwise snobbishly dismissed it.
>>
>>8953979
Kept desperately escalating her role. I wouldn't say it was a complete write off but close.
>>
>>8952775
I want the thread police to fuck off
>>
>>8953815
>dozens of posts in this thread about how we need to expel aspiring authors so we can discuss books
>someone posts their thoughts on a well-known sci fi book they've just finish reading
>he's told to leave

What CAN you post in this general?
>>
File: winter tide.jpg (127KB, 763x451px) Image search: [Google]
winter tide.jpg
127KB, 763x451px
Hey everyone, I fixed Lovecraft!
>>
>>8954031
who're the bigger autists, blues or mentats?
>>
>>8954246
Crappy photoshops.
>>
>>8954283
We didn't get nearly enough screentime for autistic Blue waifu to tell.

>>8954278
Blizzard is the harbinger of the dystopian literary future where all stories are reduced to proud ethnic heritage vs evil US stand-ins.
>>
>>8954278
>aphra

that woke up some dark memories

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aphra_Behn
>>
File: Emrys-Torcom-author-photo1.jpg (8KB, 180x176px) Image search: [Google]
Emrys-Torcom-author-photo1.jpg
8KB, 180x176px
>>8954278
>>
>>8954304
>tfw you can write about the Innsmouth folk without cultural appropriation
>>
>Writing Excuses' website is now pink
>>
>>8954387
It's purple. Are you a bit colour blind anon?
>>
>>8953841
Just ignore him. Some of us like reading meaty reviews here. That said, read Dune when I was, uh 12? Found it incredibly boring. It is high on my reread list though.
>>
>>8954387
>kicking out Dan and Howard for some ethnic nobodies
I'm a little mad. At least the girl on the Utah crew doesn't look that bad.

>>8954396
Regardless, it's pretty feminine for a bro-cast.
>>
>>8953841
I like reading reviews.
>>
File: 1467482155519.png (67KB, 568x394px) Image search: [Google]
1467482155519.png
67KB, 568x394px
>>8954402
Pink and purple are actually my most hated colours.
Although it's interesting actually that favourite colours don't appear to be evenly spread - just a whole bunch of people like blue.
>>
>>8954242
>thread police
Hey... thats a breddy gud project for next time.

Thanks for the idea. I hope our thread brethren thank you for our next meme.
>>
>>8954246
>reading comprehension
Seriously do people even read in this general? Did they never teach comprehension in school to hou people?
>>
>>8954406
>they didn't measure for things like black, white, brown, silver, etc.
I always say "indigo" just to be a dick.
>>
>>8954454
Indigo is a lovely colour honestly.
>>
>>8954459
we reviewing colours now?
>>
>>8954472
stop me big guy
>>
>>8954472
The OP is rainbow
>>
File: 1468208900445.png (230KB, 640x360px) Image search: [Google]
1468208900445.png
230KB, 640x360px
>>8954278
>tweecraft
>>
>>8954472
octarine master race reporting
>>
Considering how "in" magical systems are right now, I'm surprised I haven't seen kind of "Renaissance period alchemists and wizards start developing the scientific method" style story.
>>
>>8954527
That's Grace of Kings, isn't it? And Baroque Cycle.

I'm certain I've read a few other stories with that plot element, even before the magic system craze. Diana Wynne Jones might have done it more than once.
>>
>>8954527
There's something kind of similar in the Rivers of London series, except it's a modern setting where magic hasn't been scientifically studied and the MC does experiments in his spare time.
>>
>>8954502
Jale reporting in. Ulfire is for plebs.
>>
>>8954561
>cacomorphic Arcturian colors
Fuligin for men. Argent for men too.
>>
Shout out my gantniggers
>>
Read the first Honor Harrington book, it was fun but I really don't like the take on space combat where's it's just naval stuff but in space.
>>
>>8953941
>>8953961
>Not knocking the valkyries, that whole scene with the old queen was pure gold, it just took wind out of the main plot's sails.
It's where I stopped reading

It wasn't bad but it murdered the pacing
>>
Just re-read the hobbit. What was the point of Thranduil and the wood elves coming to the Lonely mountain? I understand that Dale was coming to get gold for the destruction of Esgaroth and the suffering of his people, but there didn't seem to be much about why the elves came. I know they try to say the wood elves were less wise than the other elves, was it just greed?
>>
>>8953656
Kys this is why fantasy is mostly trash. No one gives a fuck about your gay ass plot. It's been done before and doesnt matter what you do if your prose as well as your character development ain't good also.

I'm not even the Autist in this thread screaming why his generals are being overrun by writerfags. But it is annoying seeing you spam your YA shit in every fucking thread. It sounds generic as fuck and I know your just trolling
>>
>>8950098
This is vomit turned into text
>>
>>8953734
>Make you feel
>Implying books need to make me feel

Pleb detected. I haven't wanted books to make me feel since I was a teen. They should make me think.
>>
File: 1442620696522.jpg (25KB, 400x462px) Image search: [Google]
1442620696522.jpg
25KB, 400x462px
>>8954837
>implying they can't do both
>>
File: 1483534683325.jpg (592KB, 960x960px) Image search: [Google]
1483534683325.jpg
592KB, 960x960px
>>8954837
This must be bait
>>
>>8953795

I thought the end of Dune wasnt great as well. I had trouble believing that the Fremen could beat the elite Sardaukar just because they grew up in a desert with severely limited water
>>
>>8954278

>Ron Spector believes that Communist spies have stolen dangerous magical secrets from Miskatonic University

This sounds so bad i really wanna read it
>>
>>8954904

http://www.tor.com/2017/01/09/excerpts-ruthanna-emrys-winter-tide-chapter-1/

Then I have good news, they'll be posting chapters for you!
>>
>>8954904
This sounds like a book written by /pol/.
>>
File: Stonerfeel.jpg (187KB, 1508x608px) Image search: [Google]
Stonerfeel.jpg
187KB, 1508x608px
>>8954837
You obviously haven't read Stoner.
>>
>>8954805
Maybe they just wanted their barrels back.
>>
>>8954891
They also bred faster than their environment could support them, and bled off excess males through dueling and warfare.
>>
>>8951966
Mate, it's just going to turn out that the Inverse Fire displays an ancient Inchoroi reality TV show. All that worrying over eternal damnation for nothing.
>>
>>8949860

>profanity is not to be used

There is one "shit" in Words Of Radiance. When Adolin says to Shallan he shat himself in his Shardplate three times.

I hope he goes full GRRM in the next books, the abysmal dialogues are the only thing holding SA back.
>>
>>8955110
>>8954891
>>8953795
don't you guys remember this being a plotpoint? The Sardaukar are elite Soldiers stemming from a wasteland prison world - which honed them into the perfect fighters. However, victory has defeated them: Luxury, Wealth and Success have made them more complacent.

This is a plotpoint between the Imperial Emissary and the Harkonnens, when it is hinted at, that the Harkonnens might transform Arrakis into a Prison Planet - the Emperor feared then and there, via his emissary, that the Harkonnens might utilize Arrakis to breed a new warrior caste able to outdo the Sardaukar.

What he didn't know is: This Warrior Caste had already been created, honed by the Storms and Sands, ideologically indoctrinated by the Bene Gesserit.

In this scenario, the Fremen are superior, because they have not grown complacent yet. thus, they are better than the Sardaukar.
>>
>>8953776
You could give the Prince of Thorns, King of Thorns and Emperor of Thorns a chance ( the Broken Empire Trilogy ), which is quite gory and gruesome at points, but also very much angsty and painful self-exploration of the protagonist :)
>>
File: 1431446037547.jpg (10KB, 193x189px) Image search: [Google]
1431446037547.jpg
10KB, 193x189px
Can I get some Sci-Fi recs from you guys.

>Favourites:
-Roadside Picnic - Strugatsky Brothers
-Earth Abides - George R. Stewart
-Canticle For Leibowitz - Walter M. MIller Jr
-The Years of Rice and Salt - Kim S. Robinson
>>
>>8953776
Unhewn Throne. The necessity of pain is an over-arching theme and the action is strong.
>>
>>8954696
>it's just naval stuff but in space

but that's unironically the best kind of space combat
>>
Do you guys read any amateur web novels? Like stuff you'd find on royalroadl.com
>>
File: 1445970898385.png (137KB, 811x480px) Image search: [Google]
1445970898385.png
137KB, 811x480px
>>8954076
all you need to know
>>
File: spicymem.png (104KB, 600x315px) Image search: [Google]
spicymem.png
104KB, 600x315px
>>
How are the Ciaphas Cain books? i remember hearing years ago they were pretty enjoyable. I dont mind the almost comedic 'darkness' of Warhammer but i know a lot of the books are trash.

>>8955492

Yeah you're right. Its been years since i read it and i might of missed it anyways. I still really liked it though
>>
>>8955633
What does this pol/int flag meme suppose to mean?
>>
>>8955737
It appears that one guy is SciFi, one guy is Fantasy, and the remaining guy is *autistic screeching*.

*autistic screeching*
>>
>>8955737
>>8955755
It's the WordArt autist
>>
>>8955633

>Israel

remove that please
>>
>>8955633
I like it
>>
>>8955757
It makes no discernable sense. You have no talent in getting across ideologies.
>>
Looking for a fantasy series I read 10 years ago. I only completely read 1 book in the series and just the beginning of the second. It was about a guy joining some sort of military order on an island. They used some kind of flying lizards. The island was attacked by people also using those lizards, and turns out the leader of the attacker looks for the POV specifically. It turns out that two gods are battling each other, and each god has a "prophet" sent to fight on their behalf. The leader of the attacker was one of them. I'm a little fuzzy on what happened after, but pretty sure they somehow managed to seal the gods. Also, should have said this earlier, but magic can also be used by certain people, though it is frowned upon by most. I think the magic system was word based, since I clearly remember "shard" being a mundane magic word used so that you don't lose the grip of your sword. The second book took place long after the first, as they referenced certain charachters from the first. Any of this seem familliar?
>>
>>8955757
I just realized what you were trying for here. It would have been more obvious had the screecher been a photo cutout. Granted this would have diluted the essence of its parent meme, perhaps undesirably so.
>>
The Red Rising film is gonna bomb because it's a Hunger Games ripoff at face value and the only chance people will it is a 30 second commercial.

I almost wish the movie would be abridged Red Rising for the first half and then move on to Golden Son.
>>
I really liked the first Malazan book it was much lighter in tone and more 'fun' than I had anticipated but book 2 so far has just been grimdark and depressing. Does the series ever go back to the tone of the first novel?
>>
>>8956126
If you make it through Deadhouse Gates you won't look back.
>>
>>8956110
There's gonna be a movie? No way that won't be a fuck-up.
>>
>>8956110
how would you even cast Victra and not have it be horrific?
>>
>>8956167
Director from World War Z is having Pierce Brown write up the script right now. I believe he's on his 3rd or 4th attempt.
>>
>>8956189
some hope if he's involved to that extent at least
>>
>>8955757
oohhh, clever
>>
>>8956110
I hope it's abridged Red Rising in any case. Give us his backstory, give us a Gattaca montage, then put him in the action. Of course we're probably going to have long boring sequences to "develop his character" and then meaningless action that doesn't develop anything.
>>
>>8956126
It's a roller coaster of grim horror and fun adventures. There are some characters whose perspectives are mostly just banter and almost Shakespearean comedy, and in Memories of Ice, a book almost as grim and bloody as Deadhouse Gates, you have two characters that somehow end up being comedic relief despite being vile necromancers.
>>
>>8956126
There is more suffering, but it will be worth it when you get to Tehol and Bugg.
>>
File: bad samurai.png (201KB, 470x340px) Image search: [Google]
bad samurai.png
201KB, 470x340px
What the fuck is Laseen's problem? I just finished Bonehunters and I can't figure out why she didn't just execute Malick Rel and Korbolo Dom. She had a fucking army of Claw assassins and somehow SOMEHOW some nobody priest managed to cow her with the threat of what, an unruly populace in a city she has literally purged in the past for no reason at all? What the fuck? And for this she was trying to betray the legacy of Coltain? Bitch can go to Hood.
>>
>>8950098
I like it but you've created such an impassionate thief that steals whatever that it's hard for me to believe that she'd actually go so far as to steal something as important as a goddess's collar. Maybe make her a high end thief that would be used to stealing such high end things?

I only feel this way because making her out to be a petty thief makes me think she wouldn't have the skills/know how to both steal and impress a goddess.

Also, what's the point of a collar that chances colours?
>>
>>8956494
That's not to say of course make her out to be a thief that purposefully goes out to steal the artifacts of Gods, but maybe like paintings and museum artifacts? Have that be her main and then maybe throw in a few things here and there (snatched a candy bar because she was hungry (but let's be honest, don't create a fat catwoman that just doesn't work))
>>
So I started reading the first David Gemmell Drenai book
>first 50 pages: so is this a example of lurid purple prose in fantasy? also damn this is cliche, "oh my love we are destined! now let us seek the thirty mystical psychic swordsmen including a albino!"

>after 50 pages: holy shit it's awesome battle grandpa
>>
File: kells132.jpg (343KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
kells132.jpg
343KB, 1024x768px
Hey /sffg/,

Posted this the other day. Off to "The Shop" tomorrow. Just wanted to repost with my updated shopping list.

Tomorrow I'm going to a huge used bookstore with over 1 million used books. I'm looking to take a list of Fantasy novels with me and see how many I can find. The books are very, very cheap so I will most likely buy anything on the list that I can find. So, take a look t my meagre list so far and give comments/additions/subtractions. When i get back i'll post my purchases,may pick up some interesting editions.

Various elements I enjoy in Fantasy: >atmosphere.
>comfy settings
>mundane descriptions of characters going about day to day life
>medieval city settings
>priests, monks, holy orders
etc

The list:

>Anything by Tolkien
I've read LOTR and The Hobbit but am interested in buying them for my library. Also interested in finding the Silmarillion plus and "Peripheral" books (art books etc) related to Tolkien

>Terry Pratchett "Guards" books
Never read any Pratchett but interested in trying something out of my comfort zone. Not interested in anything too "goofy" but don't mind some humour/weirdness.

>Any Witcher books
Read "The Last Wish" and really, really loved it.

>The Chronicles of Amber
It was recommended to me and looks great.

>The Stormlight Archive books or Warbreaker by Sanderson
Haven't really read any of the modern "classics" and Sanderson seems decent.

>Any Guy Gavriel Kay
Recommended by a couple anons and looks great.

>Jack Vance Lyonesse

>C. J. Cherryh's Fortress series
Open to suggestions, I'll post my haul tomorrow in the /sffg/ thread
>>
>>8956640
Jesus fucking blog. Look at the charts in the OP and pick whatever looks interesting.
>>
>>8956222
It's edgy YA, there isn't much hope to be had friend.
>>
>>8956640
>comfy settings
>mundane descriptions of characters going about day to day life
Most things by Diana Wynne Jones, short story collections by Peter S. Beagle (his novels are more folklore/fairytale oriented, but still comfy)

>priests, monks, holy orders
A Canticle for Leibowitz and Anathem
>>
>>8956678
You're right, your contribution was much more interesting than my post entirely concerning sci-fi and fantasy literature.
>>
>>8954833
>>8954814

Im not sure why this is so polarizing. It's intended as a short fairy tale, not literary fantasy. Im surprised to find this is generic even, considering i haven't really seen something like this aside from the whole "three tests thing" which is just a basic mythic/fairy tale trope

>>8956494
If it were a literary narrative I would agree with you, but fable narratives are a bit more flexible. Think of the tale of stingy jack (aka jack o' lantern) who despite being a dickish town drunk ends up getting the devil stuck up in an apple tree by planting crosses around him. Obviously, you'd think that a former archangel could just fly out of the tree, if not create a portal or wormhole, but many of these stories aren't so much about people or logic as they are about symbols and ideas

Then again I actually do want to make it more literary, so maybe I should justify it in character. In that case she'd get the idea because of hubris and three-tailed bad would allow her to steal the collar because even gods get bored, and sending humans on quests is like creating your own game shows

As for the color thing, I wanted an oddly specific mechanic to justify impossible capers and that idea had been sitting around in my brain for a while without being used. I was trying to build a setting and three-tailed bast was one of the setting's gods, each of whom followed a sort of logical if obscure pattern
>>
Are there any good fantasy books with a little girl set out to destroy the universe?
>>
>>8956842
>polarizing
>>
Is the fact that I've seen the LOTR movies going to detract from my LOTR reading experience?
>>
>>8956588
Yeah, they were thrilling. The action was bold and in your face, but they did have definite flaws.

Hey, here's a fun game, keep a bottle of hooch handy and take a drink every time you read either the phrase "ripped out his throat (on the backswing)" or "tore through his ribs". I promise the hangovers won't mess you up too bad, it'll take you a while to read through the whole series.
>>
>>8957037
Not at all.
>>
>>8956840
Thanks very much, I hadn't heard of DWJ before.
>>
>>8957001
point is, people are pissed at me
>>
File: truthshines.jpg (518KB, 1440x792px) Image search: [Google]
truthshines.jpg
518KB, 1440x792px
>Bakker has hinted several times that there is a huge twist in TUC that will knock your socks off
>That bakkerfans guy posted on westeros that TUC ends with a "big deal" that sets up TSTSNBN

What is it?? TUC when??
>>
New Thread

>>8957239
>>8957239
>>8957239
Thread posts: 315
Thread images: 48

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.