[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What does your reading stamina look like? I am reading three

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1

File: sleepingbloom.png (253KB, 800x450px) Image search: [Google]
sleepingbloom.png
253KB, 800x450px
What does your reading stamina look like? I am reading three different books and sadly I can only manage to read 30 pages in total, then take a break and start again whenever. I'm working on making it better.
>>
>>8949262
i dunno man, i read 600 pages in the last week. and half of the week i was fucking around with my wife.
>>
i can read about ~75 pages on one book per day, then i change topics

one thing that helps me is focus on the story, not on the page, not on the chapter, the faster i want to finish a book the longer it takes
>>
>>8949262
used to read 8-12+ hours daily
>>
I like to limit myself to 50~ pages a sitting so I don't get too burned out and can actually sit back and enjoy the book
>>
If the book is good i will read all day then read from another book in the evening
>>
>>8949308
this. if it resonates with me it's effortless, like binge watching a good show.

most books don't resonate with me like that though, so usually i'll just read a little on the train each day and maybe some more before i go to sleep.

last books i enjoyed enough to read in one go were lolita, [trigger warning] tai pei and old masters
>>
>>8949323
what did you like about Tai Pei?
>>
I would hate to have to have been Bloom. Being frustrated by everything all the time like that doesn't seem like fun.
>>
>>8949395
its lots of fun actually
t. /pol/
>>
>>8949262
it takes me a long time to read because I usually end up reading most pages two or three times and also write down every single word I don't know which can be distracting. If I'm reading philosophy I can spend an hour reading three-four pages
>>
>>8949382
in reviews there's the references to kafka, which is a bit of a fucking stretch for sure, but it's that sense of, idk, confusion, disorientation, lack of agency, being subject to powers you don't quite know or understand.

then there's the almost obnoxiously neutral prose style. that resonated with me, wasnt sure why at first, but i think it's really just a 1:1 representation of how our life is chopped up and rearranged as we live it with and through the meatgrinder that is the internet and social media specifically. specific data (age, location, even complex emotions but in some sort of formalised, facebookyfied way) is constantly present, shoehorned into p much every paragraph.

does that make sense? i read a title of some short story or essay recently that stuck with me, even though i didnt read the story; "Your share of the loot is half a horse."

it's the constant noise of the machine in the background; imperfect human utterances made (in some minor way) conform, boxed and delivered through text bubbles on 6 inch screens, i mean not that specifically but a general sense of what we say or mean being formalised through an omnipresent medium

you could say that's really not enough to warrant stylising the prose of your shitty debut novel in that way but to me it felt "clever" and relevant and like something that, and i'm away of how much a meme this is, but, like something hasn't been done before.

it verbalised an awkwardness / eeriness that i also feel in all things digital. i dont fucking know. as always, the essays and short stories are better as an entry point

http://thoughtcatalog.com/tao-lin/2011/02/koko-the-talking-gorilla/

i think if nothing else it helps if you consider
1. he's not that good, nobody says so, he's just at least in my opinion significantly better than average, which is hard in a sea of pseuds and numale tits trying to be novel
2. he's not a narcissist or if he is he hides it pretty well.
3. he works hard, but doesn't take his writing too seriously (he takes the process seriously, but doesn't think so highly of his work that he's above a pun or humor of some kind)

it's novel, relevant, humorous in a quirky way but not a SJW asshat kind of quirky, imo; it's just allover enjoyable, go on with moderate expections of something vaguely contemporary and you might just be somewhat pleasantly surprised

this post is entirely too fucking long, and im sorry
i just always feel like there's certain stuff i have to pre-emptively elaborate on when explain my enjoyment on tao lin on cambodian basket weaving forums
>>
>>8949536
more than I expected. Thanks, Anon.
>>
>>8949536

underrated post
>>
On a day off with nothing to do I manage to read up to 200 pages, depending on the book.
>>
I read on the train both ways and during lunch at work, which usually ends up totaling about 50 page. Then I probably read another 50 at home each night, but of a different book.

I finish roughly a book a week, 5-6 a month
>>
>>8949536
This post is terrible.
>>
>>8949262

OP here, truly you guys live the /lit/ lifestyle, I can manage maybe 70 a day with breaks in between chunks. Still, it's interesting to see there are people able to finish a book in one siting. I could do it when I was a kid with stuff like Lord of the Rings and Harry Potter, but now that I'm reading Borges and Stendhal I have to digest it slowly and reread parts. 28 YO by the way.
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.