[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey /lit/ I am looking to compile a list of books which can be

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 2

File: 800px-Bm-epic-g.jpg (156KB, 800x944px) Image search: [Google]
800px-Bm-epic-g.jpg
156KB, 800x944px
Hey /lit/ I am looking to compile a list of books which can be considered a cultures 'roots' or quintessential to a certain culture. Generally relating to the creating of the universe, and the specific cultures creation myths.

At the moment if have -
>Journey to the West
>An English translation of Atra Hasis and other Mesopotamian myths
>Shahnameh
>Lord of the Rings
>The Iliad
>Apollodorus' Library and Hyginus' Fabulae

I am looking for a good copy of Mahabharata and Ramayana, are there any other cultures whom have written huge poetic epics? I know of the Poetic Eddas but I haven't been too interested in them yet. I am also particularly interested in anything related to African culture.
>>
File: 1469041012524.jpg (31KB, 506x527px) Image search: [Google]
1469041012524.jpg
31KB, 506x527px
>Lord of the Rings
>>
>>8947888
>he doesn't know
Lord of the rings is quintessential modern fantasy.

Don't bother arguing senpai.
>>
>Epic of Gilgamesh
>The Bible
>Beowulf
>Theogony
>Egyptian Book of the Dead
>>
The Odyssey is a package deal with the Illiad as it represents the second half of the hero's journey in the campbellian monomyth
The Aeneid is also crucial as a formative work for Rome

I would add Beowulf (not a creation story but a heavily idolized story of political and religious history) and Le Morte D'Artur (which similarly provides a historical fantasy of the birth of the british tribes, albeit fantasized)
>>
>>8948956
I L I A D *********
>>
>>8948906
>The Bible
The Pentateuch and the Apocrypha, you mean.
>>
>>8947873
Táin Bó Cúailnge
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.