[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Author/Writing Orginization Tips?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1

File: belal.jpg (178KB, 582x569px) Image search: [Google]
belal.jpg
178KB, 582x569px
This is probably only for those of us who write lengthy novels, as that's what I'm seeking advice on, but if you can describe yourself as an author your help is welcome.

What do you guys do to keep organized when writing your books?

Typically, I have a folder on my desktop with this inside:
1. A file of the original idea. Once it's strong enough to start writing about, I stop touching this document. Sort of like a reference point if I lose track.
2. A file with a general scene-by-scene, starts out as basic sentences that I keep expanding upon as I go along
3. A file for random good ideas and blurbs I come up with along the way that don't quite fit
4. An "official" file with the actual text, everything divided up by chapters, etc etc

I'm questioning if this is the right thing for me right now, I'm writing the longest book I've ever done and I just can't keep up with all this text. I can't stay organized. Cutting and pasting and rearranging, attempting to follow my scene-by-scene (I've never really been someone who has the ability to write everything in order), it's just discouraging and messy and inefficient.

So what methods do you guys use? How well does it work for you? High tech and low/no tech methods all welcome.
>>
>>8947429
Holy fuck is this thread about SJWs, women, and liberals? xD
>>
>>8947436
Did you even read the title of my post, anon?
>>
>>8947449
Did you really want me to?
>>
>>8947462
Yes. Read the title, if you want read the post but it's not necessary because of the title, and if you have some advice, then comment.

If you just want to know why I used that picture? Fine. It's a new laptop, I only have that pic saved to my desktop bc I saw it on another thread and the girl sort of looks like my cousin. I thought it would be funny to send to her. I'm not gonna go off and download another pic of a bookshelf or library or something just to make one asshole happy.

Stay on topic.
>>
>>8947429
text docs /Notes docs spread across 3 different phones, then a folder with Word docs (~150 drafts or 'iterations' per story) on a external hard drive, with text docs /Notes docs in a separate folder
needless to say, a mess
-this is for short stories

for longer works i'm trying a more structured approach and it's working quite well:
Excel xls
worksheets named Plot, Characters, Overview etc
then (for my novel as it's 3 first person narrators) columns with character names and rows with when the scene occurs and the contents of the scene
but it's still a mess
>>
>>8947429
If you haven't read Stephen King's "On Writing" I would recommend it. Regardless of what you think of his novels, it has some pretty good advice I'd say. Gets pretty specific on the process itself in ways that are not ordinarily accounted for in other books/advice.
>>
>>8947530
Three different phones does sound like it could get pretty confusing lol. Do you keep it that way, or eventually migrate everything to one device?

I've heard of using excel and that column/row method a lot! It works for you? I haven't tried it yet, mostly because every time I've seen it used like on youtube, the person has a very fleshed out novel and basically just needs to do transition sentences and dialogue.

Where do you actually write your novel? Do you wait til you have everything set out first, or do you jump in whenever?

And do you find with the excel method, you have to write in order of the scenes or can you jump around a bit to break it up?

I'm probably autistic honestly, a lot of text all at once bothers me for some reason if I'm not in a flow. I break up my chapters by using like 10 spaces and capital letters and random symbols. Then by all that, I put the scene numbers which correspond to my scene-by-scene list.

>>8947555
I have read that, I actually own it but for some reason I don't recall much from it. I'll definitely give it a reread, then. Thank you for the tip, I pretty much forgot that book exists.

When I was very small, I used to love reading King. Sort of ify now. I still like Dreamcatcher, I think it was called. I live in Canada rn, I really appreciate a good log cabin in the winter hunting scene lol
>>
One document to start. At the very beginning I write the synopsis, then I start to write the structure. This can take a few months, although when I feel it's concrete enough at the beginning I start the second document. This is the first draft.

I'm currently starting work on my third novel. Prep for this one is different because I have a separate document for research. My research is colour coded. If I find a nonessential detail it stays in black, if it's a good detail it's in red, if it's in bold red then it's essential for inclusion in the eventual structure.
>>
>>8947762
That first line is how I started writing, and I switched to something more complex over time. Maybe that was the mistake.

Thanks for pitching in your method. Congratulations on getting to your third novel!
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.