[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Horror general? Just finished The Ritual by Adam Nevill. Found

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 3

File: The_Ritual_Adam_Nevill_cover.jpg (18KB, 220x329px) Image search: [Google]
The_Ritual_Adam_Nevill_cover.jpg
18KB, 220x329px
Horror general?

Just finished The Ritual by Adam Nevill. Found the concept quite cliché and tired, but the execution in terms of pacing and action brilliant. Characterisation wasn't bad either. Overall a very very enjoyable read.
>>
>>8946619
how was the atmosphere?
>>
>>8947756
Very good for a cliché innawoods story. A realistic and immersive execution of the Swedish forestlands.
>>
>>8946619
I don't understand how people can get scared reading books. I'm not saying this to criticize you guys. On the contrary, I want to learn from you. Can you teach me something that will make me get scared from books?
>>
>>8947805
Read The King in Yellow. It was genuinely spoopy and strange.
>>
>>8947815

Not OP but I am reading it now. Carcosa.
>>
>>8947815
Did anyone read this before True Detective pretended to reference it?
>>
File: 1480770747844.jpg (203KB, 474x444px) Image search: [Google]
1480770747844.jpg
203KB, 474x444px
>>8947815
i have, but i'm a legit sperglord.
>>
>>8947805
OP here, I don't get scared by horror (except It Follows, and that's because I'm schizophrenic and the concept really got to me for obvious reasons). It just intrigues me hugely. I enjoyed the Ritual because it was gripping while dealing with that subject matter that I enjoy so much, I.E. spoopy innawoods stuff.
>>
>>8947932
I'm glad the show did reference it or I might not have heard about it.
>>
>>8946619
read weird horror ya goon

off the top of my head:
lovecraft, machen, dunsany, clark ashton smith, algernon blackwood, robert chambers
include conrad, bierce, and schulz for more weird vibes, albeit not always/very horror

weird fiction will ruin normal horror for you
>>
File: 1998-EC3a.jpg (39KB, 150x192px) Image search: [Google]
1998-EC3a.jpg
39KB, 150x192px
>>8946619

I started to read The Ritual. The atmospherics and immersion-in-the-woods feel was terrific in the first half or first third. It really put a spell on me. But at some point, after he left the house and started wandering up the hillside, the book lost it grip on me and I haven't gone back to it.

>>8947805
>I don't understand how people can get scared reading books.

It's fairly unusual that I become genuinely *scared* (although it does happen, albeit less frequently as I get older). More typically, what I look for in horror fiction is a certain *flavor* of experience/atmosphere, i.e., that flavor and various shades of flavor that the horror genre delivers, which might be compared to the strong flavors delivered by other notable genres, such as the western book and film, the film noir genre, etc.

Many books promise the feels of horror, through their atmospheric covers, but relatively few really deliver.

The prologue to the first volume of A Song of Ice and Fire comes to find as superb horror set-piece that was a pleasure to read.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.