[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

The Magic Mountain = shit

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 2

File: 107350[1].jpg (39KB, 400x592px) Image search: [Google]
107350[1].jpg
39KB, 400x592px
Wtf was this book supposed to be ? I dropped it like 2 year ago when I reached half. Who managed to listen to that italian guy's bullshit or endure the infinite walks outside the sanatorium ??

>no magic
>too many fucking mountains
>>
If you're not memeing (probably are), you should start with a lot easier works, like borderline YA, then start with the greeks, and then in 26 years when you accoplish that return to this thread.
>>
>>8945490
>>no magic
>>too many fucking mountains
And let's not talk about the awful worldbuilding!
>>
>>8945670
So YA comes before the Greeks now? I think this should be more widespread, because with all the talk about starting with the Greeks, someone may miss this thread and start at the wrong place.
>>
>>8945490
If you don't know much about the political troubles of 19th century Italy, Settembrini probably doesn't make much sense. Luckily for me, I had just read Gramsci's Prison Notebooks before I started Magic Mountain, so I caught a lot of his references that would have been fresh on the mind of the reader in the age it was written in.
>>
>>8946896
thank you for the recommendation
>>
File: jmvoiwz.gif (419KB, 500x234px) Image search: [Google]
jmvoiwz.gif
419KB, 500x234px
>tfw taking a class on this with david wellbery right now and it's like i'm going through the spooky tunnel at the end of 2001 a space odyssey
>tfw he holds up every chapter to the light like a prism and a rainbow of 500 different things you didn't see blasts you in the face
>tfw this book is the greatest thing ever written
>tfw mann is a genius beyond comprehension
>>
>>8946896
bullshit every European with a pint of knowledge of history knows what he's talking about.
>>
>>8947155
fuck that sounds so nice anon
>>
>>8947155
Would you care to share some insights, o wise anon?
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoin at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Posts and uploaded images are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that website. If you need information about a Poster - contact 4chan. This project is not affiliated in any way with 4chan.