/script>
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

If you had to say that one of King's books was worth reading,

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 4

File: sking.jpg (11KB, 242x274px) Image search: [Google]
sking.jpg
11KB, 242x274px
If you had to say that one of King's books was worth reading, which one would you choose?
>>
The Stand
>>
Different Seasons
>>
Not The Stand.
>>
after thousands of years of lurking, i got the impression that the /lit/ answer is Misery
>>
>>8944198

Well, the question implies one has actually read all of Kings book and can make an informed statement, but you'd have to be insane or already a die-hard fan to read everything he puts out.

Anyway, I found the Shining to be genuinly unsettling in places, and the first book in the Dark Tower saga is pretty great.
>>
>>8944234
Dark Tower series gets better as it goes. Keep reading if you enjoyed the first.
>>
the long walk
>>
The Green Mile
>>
>>8944246

Oh, I read it all. I didn't dislike the later books, but bringing it into the "real" world so much, along with some of the more off-beat concepts, made it lose some of the appeal to me - I much preferred the twisted mirror western world the series started out in.

The ending was genuinely haunting, however. Fucking hell.
>>
>>8944198
A lot of his work is worth reading if you're not a hipster tryhard.

The Stand
The Shining
It (his best)
The Long Walk
The Green Mile
Night Shift (really good short stories)
>>
>>8944198

11/22/63

I was very impressed by this book, because it took the atmosphere of the Twilight Zone and basically put it into book form. What's truly scary about the book, is that when he goes back in time, it seems like a completely different reality from ours; despite only being about 50 years from the book's release, the protgaonist feels like an alien trying to blend in.

To me that is the book's greatest achievement: making reality unnerving. The different segments of the book are presented with 60's style photographs, and they are chilling. I think that is the one book Stephen King totally nailed. I like how he keeps seeing references to JIMLA everywhere
>>
>>8944198
Rage.
>>
File: 6bqaUAa.jpg (200KB, 745x768px) Image search: [Google]
6bqaUAa.jpg
200KB, 745x768px
>>8944301
For real or are you trying to be edgy?
>>
It is his best, by a long shot.
>>
>>8944275

nope.
>>
has anyone here read Duma Key?
>>
>>8944275
Replace Night Shift with Different Seasons and you have a solid list.
>>
Running Man
>>
>>8944280
Basically this. 11/22/63 is far and away my favorite King book.
>>
>>8944280
The ending was shit
>>
>>8944417
Sorry to hear you're wrong. :(
>>
>>8944198

i wouldn't
>>
>>8944433
But I'm not anon
>>
>>8944417
>>8944433
I will settle this. I have not read the book so I am a neutral party. The ending was shit.
>>
>>8944275
>It (his best)

The premise is good, the prose is good, the plot is good...but it's so fucking tedious and unnecessarily long in some places. The first half is brilliant but the last half was like passing a kidney stone. It got too bizarre and incoherent, with no clear message or theme and no sense of ending. The ending to It was awful.

And that thing the kids did to make sure they'd meet again? That was just straight-up weird in ways I can't even describe without giving spoilers. What the hell did King mean by including that?
>>
>>8944219

This one.
>>
>>8944527
>What the hell did King mean by including that?

Cocaine is a hell of a drug
>>
>>8944198
Roadwork
>>
>>8944417
was a bit of a letdown yeah
>>
>>8944540
Got him this far, didn't it?
>>
The Long Walk or The Shining
>>
>>8944527
Don't know what he meant by it, but boy did I jack off to it like you wouldn't believe
>>
>>8944617
Wow I thought I was the only one. Glad to know I'm not alone, haha.
>>
The only book I've read of his is The Shining and it was terrible. Although that might be because I saw the far superior movie first. I can understand why King was butthurt that Kubrick made a better version of his story than he did.
>>
File: 1413940072430.jpg (29KB, 408x286px) Image search: [Google]
1413940072430.jpg
29KB, 408x286px
>>8944901
>thinks he's the only pedophile on 4chan
>>
>>8944275
Only thing i've read of him is Night Shift and Cujo. He's like that shitty movie you watch when it's airing but wouldn't look for yourself.
>>
>>8945088
He's probably going to be revered in ~60 years as lovecraft is now.
>>
Roadwork
>>
>>8944198
Misery.
>>
>>8944925
Yeah he telegraphed the ending way too much. And who the fuck gets scared of a firehose?
>>
Rita Hayworth and Shawshank Redemption, and The Green Mile tbqhwy
>>
>>8944527

And that thing the kids did to make sure they'd meet again? That was just straight-up weird in ways I can't even describe without giving spoilers. What the hell did King mean by including that?

I don't know but I sure liked it.
>>
> 41 (forty-one) replies
> Ctrl+F "Salem [...]"
> 0 results
What the hell, lads? Salem's Lot had its lengths, but it was still above and beyond the rest.
>>
>>8945735
Salem's Lot was one of King's "The hero is smart and everyone else is dumb" books. The Mist too. Needful Things.
>>
The Shining is worth reading to convince yourself that his books suck.
Thread posts: 46
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.