[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

le meaning of life

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

Why is this question given so much attention? Who cares what the "meaning" is? What does that even mean? Life is just there, who is to say there even is a meaning? Just live.

Pic sorta related. This thread is /lit/ bc this is a common trope in literature/philosophy.
>>
It's because you desire what you don't have.
>>
>>8941946

well life feels pointless without meaning.
>>
>>8941946
Because without giving life meaning you cannot live. Life is desires and drives and these come from meaning and belief, even in it's in it's simplest form like, "Satisfying hunger is nice". Just live may sound nice, but doing so is impossible. Living without meaning, in some sense of the word, is like trying to swim on dry land.
>>
life
līf/Submit
noun
the condition that distinguishes animals and plants from inorganic matter, including the capacity for growth, reproduction, functional activity, and continual change preceding death.

OP is an idiot
>>
i've thought about this too
i think it's some remnant of christianity that dips can't get over
it's never made any sense to me either
>>
Allow me to rephrase the question: what should be a person's goal in life, and why?
>>
>>8943564
shitpost all day every day
>>
Because people with the mindset of
>lol who cares it's there so it doesn't make a difference
Have never contributed anything meaningful to humanity.
>but there is nothing meaninful in humanity u dork xD
If you would like to be vapid and completely un-self-aware nobody is stopping you, just stop reading books and start watching tmz or something
>>
Erich Fromm brings up this exact point in the Art of Being
>>
>>8943564
The path is a sequence of actions, and to follow the true path should be your goal. The true path is made up of the acts that you deem right: the acts that you will not regret making no matter what their outcome.

A good act can have a negative outcome, either through unforeseen consequences or your failure to carry it out in full. This is no cause for regret. The worst regret is associated with the actions that you did not do, when you knew that you should have done them.

A good act can be extremely taxing to you emotionally, socially, physically and in every way. It can lead you to suffer pain and misery. But if you know that this is something you ought to do, then you should do it regardless. Then again, you must also be careful not to mistake every act of self-sacrifice as good. Mostly they are not.

Every path ends with death. Only your one true path leads to death with no regrets.
>>
>>8941961
Life feels pointless when you are sad. You are sad when you don't do rewarding and pleasurable activities.

I'm not advocating cheap hedonism, because working hard and delaying pleasure is what ultimately brings you the most pleasure.

That there is no meaning to life is what makes it beautiful. We have the freedom to choose what is rewarding for us to do assuming we are conscious enough. One set meaning would make life terrifyingly fascistic, since everyone who deviated from that one meaning would lead meaningless lives, but thankfully it is not like that. All is equally meaningless/ful.

Although the meaning of our lives is really to send emanations to God to maintain his existence, and also to be food for the moon, as Gurdjieff said.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.