[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/sffg/ - Science Fiction and Fantasy General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 334
Thread images: 59

File: inevera_web.jpg (261KB, 820x1220px) Image search: [Google]
inevera_web.jpg
261KB, 820x1220px
Fantasy
Selected:
>https://i.imgur.com/qkz73sR.jpg
General:
>https://i.imgur.com/igBYngL.jpg
Flowchart:
>https://i.imgur.com/uykqKJn.jpg

Science Fiction
Selected:
>https://i.imgur.com/A96mTQX.jpg
>https://i.imgur.com/IBs9KE8.jpg
General:
>https://i.imgur.com/r55ODlL.jpg
>https://i.imgur.com/gNTrDmc.jpg

NPR's Top 100 Science Fiction & Fantasy Books:
>https://i.imgur.com/IJxTQBL.jpg

Previous Thread: >>8929270
>>
What are you waiting for to come out in 2017?
>>
File: Entombed.jpg (2MB, 2500x1213px) Image search: [Google]
Entombed.jpg
2MB, 2500x1213px
How do you kill a dragon?
>>
>>8938652

Miles Cameron - The Fall of Dragons
Brandon Sanderson - Oathbringer
Brian Stavely - Skullsworn
Scott Lynch - Thorn of Camorr
Robert Jackson Bennett - City of Miracles
Peter V. Brett - The Core (passed the point of no return)
>>
>>8938697
>(passed the point of no return)

What do you mean by that?
Also saw the publisher put release date in august, no news from his website yet though
>>
>>8938710
I really didn't think very highly of the last two books but too far in to drop it.
>>
>>8937098
what part though?
I get that I overshare but i suffer from psychosis not autism. its more like *tips tinfoil* m'followthemoney.

>>8937268
you say potato, i say new jose. i don't understand the massive nostrils like this nigga never seent a lizard???

>>8937481
the bad thing here is being ashamed of reading. i need to look into it more but the statistics for leisure reading and even reading at all are apalling.
I will say 25 books seems kinda low but you might be a busy person

>>8937559
real question are we unique in our homo-obsessiveness or just another phase like 50's homo witch hunt, or super far back- Grecian pederast republics. Id say humans are sex obsessed rat dogs and our focus merely shifts from one aspect to another.

>>8937674
theres more books in prince of nothing than the first trilogy. check out aspect-emperor set. he's finishing it all up this year.

also I'd recommend Grendel if you want something heady.

>>8938138
something wicked this way comes for modern fantasy/horror
dune I find super comfy. Also incarnations of immortality series is super comfy sci-fi/fantasy blend. The one about Time is a trip b/c he lives his life backwards.
>>8938594
still can't believe he forcelightninged a man before throwing him out the window. doesn't make sense.
>>
File: 1475675153397.png (267KB, 420x420px) Image search: [Google]
1475675153397.png
267KB, 420x420px
>>8938643
>Fantasy
>Selected:
You did this shit again?
You think this shit is funny? What are you 15?
I swear anytime I see you recommend to kill a god I will report on 3 different ips.
>>
File: 1478531177684.jpg (17KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
1478531177684.jpg
17KB, 300x300px
>when you read all the interesting books in the charts and now all that's left is going over and over and over refuse that you've looked over already and discarded or books whose premise you have found uninteresting
Bin dipping for books.
>>
File: Modern Fantasy Recs V2.jpg (2MB, 2000x3000px) Image search: [Google]
Modern Fantasy Recs V2.jpg
2MB, 2000x3000px
>>8938761
>this is my chance
>>
>>8938782
I've already looked up most of them anon.
Then, when I get bored I'll look up all the books on the charts again.

And again.

And again.
>>
Any novels with a little necromancer girl protag?
>>
Sci-fi fans, I'm a bit bored and have gotten a little curious. So I'm wondering, can you name me examples from sci-fi of the following?

>Space Jews
>Space Christians
>Space Muslims
>Space Hindus
>Space Buddhists
>>
>>8938807
Hyperion Cantos. Especially the Endymion half.
>>
>>8938805
The Old Kingdom series. Clariel is closest to the mark, but Lirael/Sabriel/Abhorsen are fairly close too and are meant to be read first.
>>
>>8938816

Is that the only good book with necromancers? Even ignoring the girl thing, I haven't found a single good one apart from Sabriel
>>
Is there any genre fiction that captures the millennial generation from the inside rather than "you dern millennials get off my lawn!" or is it still too soon?

Also, what years must one have been born in to fall into that category?
>>
>>8938805
Yuusha ga Shinda truly has the wrong protagonist.
>>
>>8938807
That's actually somebody's hobby.
http://www.adherents.com/lit/index.html
>>
>>8938851
nice link
>>
>>8938643

What would a "patrician" and "literary" fantasy recommendation chart/list look like? So far I've got:

The Epic of Gilgamesh
The Iliad
The Odyssey
The Arabian Nights
Beowulf
Le Morte d'Arthur
Journey to the West
Gulliver's Travels
Alice's Adventures in Wonderland & Through the Looking Glass
Idylls of the King
A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court
The Hobbit
The Lord of the Rings
The Chronicles of Narnia
The Once and Future King

I know /lit/ has a huge boner for Mervyn Peake and Gene Wolfe but I'm not familiar with them. Outside of these two and the books I listed, would anything else be on here?
>>
File: laugh.jpg (37KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
laugh.jpg
37KB, 640x480px
>>8938874
>Patricians

>The Iliad
>The Odyssey

Thanks for the kek.
>>
>>8938793
Have you read the Lankhmar stuff?
>>8938851
>no Discordians outside of Illuminatus! and some graffiti in another book
I am disappoint.
>>
>>8938874
The Worm Ouroboros
Lud-in-the-Mist
Broken Sword
>>
>>8938874
No sword-and-sorcery?

>Conan
>Fafhrd and the Gray Mouser
>>
File: hpdagon.jpg (135KB, 600x764px) Image search: [Google]
hpdagon.jpg
135KB, 600x764px
HP Lovecraft - Dagon (5 pages long)

Man escapes a pirate ship, is adrift for a couple days until his boat is grounded into a black mire. He smells dead fish, sees a black sun, and believes the stretch of land he is on could have only recently been uprooted by volcanic activity. He spends days exploring the land, reaching the base of a mound. Plagued by nightmares, he gives up on sleep and continues to explore the swamp. Over the mount he sees a valley with a monolith “not altogether the work of Nature.” Through the moonlight he sees aquatic hieroglyphics on the monolith depicting fishes, eels, octopi, crustaceans, and unknown species. He sees carvings of a humanoid race of people, yet these people have webbed hands and feet, wide and flabby lips, glassy, bulging eyes, and the size of whales. He then sees a one-eyed, fast, scaly armed monster that darts towards the monolith while making a sound that turns the narrator mad. He runs away, is whisked up by a ship during a storm, and taken to San Francisco where he continues to dream of the monster finding him.
>>
>>8938807
Robert Silverberg's The Dybbuk Of Mazel Tov IV is a more humorous treatment of Jews in space by a secular Jewish author.

Jewish refugees colonise a planet, establish a new Jerusalem, and live in harmony with extraterrestrials, one of whom is possessed by a Jewish ghost.
>>
>>8938874
Watership Down probably earned a place.
>>
File: selected soft SF chart.jpg (680KB, 1600x2400px) Image search: [Google]
selected soft SF chart.jpg
680KB, 1600x2400px
>>8938761
Here's a chart I made. If you can't find anything here, try another genre.
>>
>>8938921
Any idea how good the anthropology is in Earth Abides? I'm an anthropology master's student so that piqued my interest.
>>
>>8938805
Black Jewels Trilogy
>>
>>8938921
Yeah I forgot to save this one whoops.
>>
>>8938761
Have you read the Lankhmar books?
>>
File: DearBuzzfeed.png (39KB, 679x521px) Image search: [Google]
DearBuzzfeed.png
39KB, 679x521px
>>8938643
kek
>>
>>8938979
Actually, A Wrinkle in Time IS way more deserving of a top-ten list than Eragon. How the hell did that person not mention Le Guin though?
>>
File: 1456918751848.png (11KB, 168x326px) Image search: [Google]
1456918751848.png
11KB, 168x326px
>>8938979
""""""Eragon""""""
>>
>>8938947
It was written by an anthropologist IRL. The author was an academic who didn't write a lot of SF, mostly non-fiction.

It's a wonderful book - the title refers to Ecclesiastes, which also informs the writing.
>>
So, what were the best sci-fi and fantasy DEBUTS of 2017?
>>
>>8938990
>2017
Do you think we have a time machine?
>>
>>8938990
>2017
Meant 2016, sorry.
>>8938993
Typo.
>>
>>8938999
I just assumed it was """""banter"""""""
>>
File: 1464193791065.png (4MB, 1600x1992px) Image search: [Google]
1464193791065.png
4MB, 1600x1992px
>>8938761
>all the interesting books in the charts
How about this one?
>>
>>8938999
I can't remember a single debut novel.
>>
File: Mopping-your-brow.jpg (45KB, 849x565px) Image search: [Google]
Mopping-your-brow.jpg
45KB, 849x565px
>>8938805
Dragonoak by Sam Farren. Girl is a necromancer who runs away to be a squire for a lady knight, they fall in love.

Though the author is a (alleged) child molester so probably don't read it.
>mfw I recommended it to a gay friend after the author got outed but before I knew about it
>>
>>8938993
>reading a debut in its year of publication

too rich for my blood
>>
Has there been any new sci-fi or fantasy with real "literary" weight in the past 5 years or so?
>>
>>8939019
>Though the author is a (alleged) child molester so probably don't read it.
Why should that matter, if the story is good?
>>
>>8939031
Last Days of New Paris, maybe, and Moore's Jerusalem if that counts as fantasy
>>
>>8939031
An argument to be made for The Magicians.
>>
Any other good heavily character-driven science fiction or fantasy besides the works of Lev Grossman?

>>8939099
I was literally in the process of writing this post when I saw this.
>>
>>8939087
How's it compare to other Mieville?
>>
>genre fiction sucks
>literary fiction sucks
>poetry sucks

When did you stop being a narrativecuck and start reading nonfiction.
>>
>>8938289
Armageddon by Aaron Dembski-Bowden is part of the Grimaldus trilogy and is thus pretty good, if I recall correctly Armageddon introduces the Celestial Lions and I've always liked them since I read it
I do feel like I had to take his writing in paces though, it's not something I was able to sit down and read 200 pages in an evening
>>
>>8939115
lol
yeah nonfiction doesn't have a narrative right? just lists of facts?
right?
>>
>>8939115
Nonfiction is boring. I read to escape from the bounds of the actual.
>>
>>8939019
>>8938972

On a scale of johannes cabal to sabriel, how much necromancy use is there in those?
>>
>>8939129

Yes!
>>
>>8939115
about a 50/50 split for me.
>>
>>8939115
I read mostly nonfiction and fantasy.
>>
Conan question, I heard this physical copy of a collection of Conan the Barbarian is missing some chapters
Can anyone attest to this? I kinda want one big omnibus but if this is true I'll just buy the small ones
>>
>>8939138

Actually disregard it, one is female author the other is tumblr written gay trans shit
>>
>>8939106
Pretty short and fast-paced by his standards, but with some neat ideas about the Surrealists, experimental art as rebellion, Nazi occultism, etc. Plus there's a neat little appendix in the back with historical background.
>>
>>8939140
Mine's probably 70/30 to fiction, I want to do more essays this year.
>>
File: 1482499335583.png (7KB, 148x160px) Image search: [Google]
1482499335583.png
7KB, 148x160px
>>8939162
>wants pedo shit
>whinges when he gets pedo shit
What a cuck.
>>
>>8939168

I don't want pedo shit I want a cute little girl doing little cute girly things while also being a badass necromancer doing necromancer things!
>>
>>8939050
It's the principal of the matter.

>>8939138
Only read the first one but it's a limited amount. Necromancers are hated and feared so the character doesn't do much beyond healing some people and resurrecting a few people at the end.
>>
>>8938011
Hey thanks, i'll go ahead and just do it then. I liked Lord of the Rings, so im sure ill like this as well.
>>
File: 15819028.jpg (28KB, 318x475px) Image search: [Google]
15819028.jpg
28KB, 318x475px
>>8939103
This was alright
>>
What was the name of the punishment book in Anathem?
>>
File: 57368.jpg (36KB, 294x475px) Image search: [Google]
57368.jpg
36KB, 294x475px
Is that David Drake/Eric Flint Belisarius (Byzantiens and Persians team up against Ancient Aliens) series any good? Asking mainly because the big titty Cleopatra cover caught my eye at a used bookstore.
>>
>>8939241
famous last words
>>
>>8939397
Vance > Le Guin >>>>>> Tolkien
>>
>>8939138
Sabriel has a lot, every book is about venturing into Death and either killing the undead or bringing back the recently deceased.
>>
I'm seeing a lot of people mention The Worm Ouroboros lately, so I want to post some A+ bants from it.

Lord Zigg is GOAT:

>"I like not the dirty face of the ambassador," said Lord Zigg. "His nose sitteth flat on the face of him as it were a dab of clay, and I can see pat up his nostrils a summer day's journey into his head. If's upper lip bespeak him not a rare spouter of rank fustian, perdition catch me. Were it a finger's breadth longer, a might tuck it into his collar to keep his chin warm of a winter's night."

>"That which feedeth on brains were overnourished in Demonland, and belike would overrun the whole country-side." "Send it to Witchland," said Zigg. "Where when it hath eat up Gro and Corund it may sup lightly on the King, and then most fortunately starve for lack of its proper nutriment."

And one from Duke Corsus:

>"Thy talk, wife," said Corsus, "showeth long hair and a short wit. In short, thou art a fool."

Fucking love this book.
>>
>"Please, Mother," he heard himself murmuring. "It's been so long. I've been so lonely... Only you, Mother. Only you understand."
>He laid her across the great Black Sun embroidered into his coverings. His hands trembled as he fussed with her gowns. His groin throbbed so sweetly he feared he might soil his robes.
>"You do love me," he gasped. "You do love..."
>Her painted eyes had become drowsy, delirious. Her flat chest heaved beneath the fabric. Somehow he could see through the skein of wrinkles that made a mask of her face, down to the serpentine truth of her beauty. Somehow he could see the woman who had driven his father mad with jealousy, who had shown her son the ecstasy of secrets bundled between sheets.
>"My sweet son," she gasped. "My sweet..."
>His fingers and palm found warm skin. His heart became a thunderclap. He ran his hand along her calves, which she shaved in the fashion of the Ainoni, then across her still-smooth thighs. He clutched at her groin, squeezed the haft of her erection

wait a minute..
>>
/sffg/ have you ever had that one character who just needs to be in the story but whom you can't find anything at all to do with?

I'm dealing with one. The story I stole her from had the exact same problem with her and failed to handle her but I kept her because she was my waifu.

I can't do anything with her because she's a stupid ophelia moe blob with no real arc that I can personally give a shit about, but I can't get rid of her spot on the cast, and any replacement I can think of would be generic and boring
>>
>>8939099
I think the first book, yeah. An argument could be made, even if I wouldn't buy it. The second goes full YA, I think there's no argument there, and the third is pulp.
>>
File: 1482910230075.jpg (291KB, 959x960px) Image search: [Google]
1482910230075.jpg
291KB, 959x960px
>>8939641
>>
>>8939682
Pseud couldn't finish a philosophy degree so he dropped out of school and started writing fantasy where a Conan knockoff digs holes in the ground and fucks them.
>>
>>8939207
Principle has nothing to do with enjoyment.
>>
Are there any western fantasy novels that have a cute boy (girl) yet?
>>
File: CatStudy.jpg (150KB, 720x428px) Image search: [Google]
CatStudy.jpg
150KB, 720x428px
Any decent entry-level stuff with animals/creatures? Not a big reader; I've only read Wolf Brother and the Dark Griffin, also enjoyed Name of the Wind (though not animal related, maybe I just like lonely edgy MC's and sciency magic).
>>
>>8938979
She's not helping her case mixing Lackey, Pierce, Briggs and McCaffrey in with Jones and L'Engle. And of course she hasn't heard of Le Guin, let alone Leigh Brackett.

The hilarious irony of the inclusive SF movement is how much erasure they practice on the ones that were included before they showed up.
>>
>>8939115
I only read train timetables and flight logs, check and mate.
>>
>>8939405
Tolkien>Vance=early Le Guin>meme lit you read as a joke>late Le Guin
>>
>>8939853
>Tolkien's examination of morality
Every time.
>>
>>8939655
Yes. Her story will come, much later I'm sure.
>>
>>8939655
>any replacement I can think of would be generic and boring
Go to fantasynamegenerator.com, let it give you a bunch of random names, and try out the characters they imply to see if they fit the story.
Which waifu?
>>
>>8939442

Yeah that's why I put that on the other end of the scale
>>
>>8939655
Give them a strong motivation, if they don't already have one (which they should). If they can't get a motivation then they shouldn't be in the story. If the problem is that they have a motivation, but it's unrelated to the rest of the story, then have a different character or event put a roadblock between her and her goal which will force her to interact with the main story a bit more, even superficially.
>>
>>8939867
nepeta

>>8939885
literally the only thing I can think of is an unfulfillable romantic arc that ends with her dying, which is exactly how it played out last time
>>
>>8939747
Try The Golden Compass, it's YA and the people of the world all have little animal creatures that are part of their souls and shit. It's also pretty good.
>>
>>8939906
Putting a female character into a novel just to have a romantic arc which ends with her death is a formula for a shallow, unlikeable character.

I don't want to trigger /pol/, but women are human beings. They have goals and desires like the rest of us, only theirs don't usually include the word 'waifu'. Give her a goal that's not romantic.

If you can't think of one, go back in time. Most adult desires are borne in childhood. Maybe her family used to hold land or a title or an ancient heirloom somewhere but it was unjustly usurped from them and she wants to get it back. You could use that to bring her into the plot by having another character be the one who controls the land/title/object now, or maybe he's their friend and has to make a decision and that furthers their character. Just a suggestion, you're better off thinking of your own that fits your story.
>>
>>8939747
Robin Hobb has animal magic where a user bonds with an animal and can speak to them telepathically and such. Unfortunately, it really comes to the forefront in her third Realm of the Elderlings trilogy, the Fitz and the Fool Trilogy, which is difficult because you'll be thrown in the deep end if you start there.
>>
>>8938723
>you say potato, i say new jose. i don't understand the massive nostrils like this nigga never seent a lizard???
It was merely an observation. not intended as disagreement.
>>
>>8939929
agreed. I just have literally nothing to do with her.

my original concept of her made sense because at least I had a real goal in mind for her, and an arc too. The problem is I couldn't care less about her arc and personality because all the other characters are so much more interesting and relatable

Originally, she was supposed to be a feral street urchin who was raised by cats in the alleyways and wanted desperately to be one of them. Now she's just barely verbal autistic savant sister of that one normal guy on a team where everyone else has super powers who serves no purpose other than to give him angst.

It's crap! And either way I can't pass a fucking bechadelle test because I had to remove the third female character because I couldn't figure out a way to get her involved in the cast. although now I just realized I have a good way but it kind of involves time travel
>>
>>8939970
Not every character idea you have can fit in one story. Maybe she's best suited for a different story.
>>
>>8939970
Maybe you didn't go far enough. Giving her some feline features would go a long way toward improving your narrative.
:3
>>
>>8939978
the problem is I need a character in her place because I have a motif to fill out and there are at minimum only 4 slots to fill
>>
>>8939970
>wanted desperately to be one of them
Does she wear tailplugs?
>>
>>8939999
I'm confused. You think she's suited for the story because she fits the theme? The story should fit the theme, and if the story doesn't include her then it has to change or she has to change or she has to go.
>>
File: Its_your_own_fault_really.jpg (2MB, 900x5476px) Image search: [Google]
Its_your_own_fault_really.jpg
2MB, 900x5476px
>>8938761
>Bin dipping for books.
Books found in a bin? Perhaps this chart can assist in burning what little time you have left.
>>
>>8939990
>>8940000
the original version of her had a tail because of a pact she made with with an entity who is implied to have been, among other things, the inspiration for both the cheshire cat and bast

>>8940011
I don't think she's suited for the story, but the motif is central to the themes and plot of the story and I need someone to fill this one gap.

You're right though. the story needs to change, and to do that, I might just need to bisect the entire thing lengthwise and save her and one other character for an independent story that just happens to take place in the same setting
>>
>>8939747
Animorphs, to be completely honest with you. All the books are very short, with teen-friendly vocabulary, and they're always describing how it feels to be an animal and how they think differently when they turn into one. It's a fine story as well, discounting the filler.
>>
>>8938979
>buzzfeed isn't liberal enough for the neo liberals

Holy shit we've gone full circle.
>>
>>8939344
>yes soldier, let the hate flow through you
>>
File: GRI APPROVED.png (61KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
GRI APPROVED.png
61KB, 800x600px
>>8939641
How could such an old whore look so virginal?
>>
File: diary of a young girl.jpg (515KB, 564x957px) Image search: [Google]
diary of a young girl.jpg
515KB, 564x957px
>>8939115

The only nonfiction I read are autobiographies.
>>
>>8940092
>implying Buzzfeed's milquetoast editorials on minority representation and race aren't a distraction from the greater issue of class and wealth inequality
>>
>>8938652
Nothing, really. I'm just gonna work my way through my enormous backlog. And I'll probably buy the next Legend of the Galactic Heroes books so that the publisher doesn't drop the series.
>>
>>8938643
>to kill a god is back in that chart
This Stevian person is really deceitful he was found out and he puts in back in again.
Is this general trolling now? I thought we could discuss and recommend shit like adults, this would make me stop taking recommendations from this thread if you guys will be trolling people.
>>
>>8940275
We can't do anything except report it.
>>
>>8939747
Mercedes Lackey is full of magic animals

I unironically enjoy her books about magic telepathic horses
>>
>>8938664
Go for the eyes, If that's not an option there should be soft spots near the legs (inside) or under the wings where they attach to the body. If all alse fails AT-AT that fucker, rope their wings, puncture them, considering the size it probably wouldn't take much to make that fucker come crushing down.
>>
>>8938664
I feel like some napalm would get the job done
>>
File: daggerspell-by-katherine-kerr.jpg (168KB, 912x441px) Image search: [Google]
daggerspell-by-katherine-kerr.jpg
168KB, 912x441px
Anyone here read the works of Katharine Kerr? I'm on the second book at the moment and I find the series quite cozy in it's small scale, almost peasant like description of characters and events.
>>
>>8938652
pic related, all memes aside
though I do have a feeling that I have a better chance of finishing my own novel before this book ever comes out
>>
>>8940911
Why are fantasy covers always shit?
>>
>>8940922
I know right
>>
>>8940922
I blame Americans
>>
I'm interested in writing my own shit, but I have the impulse to "protect" my characters, to pull punches, to avoid giving them deep insecurities and flaws, and certainly to avoid bringing them face-to-face with these flaws and insecurities.

But these are exactly the kinds of things that bring sci-fi or fantasy to the next level for me, and make it something other than light, escapist crap.

How do I get past this weird fear of making my characters experience suffering? I don't mean torture, or even a book full of grimdark or a bad ending. I just mean real inner turmoil that is ACTUALLY a challenge to overcome.
>>
>>8941062
Go ask in a writing thread fuckboy
>>
>>8941062
Watch yourself, you're heading towards a path named Mary-Sue Street.
>>
>>8941073
Discussions about writing SFF happen in here fairly often.
>>8941074
I don't mean my characters are perfect. I just mean I gloss over or don't make them face real internal challenges. Hell, it'd be fine if I wanted to write sword-and-sorcery (which I do love to read) but I want something a little heavier. I'm actually asking for advice specifically so that I can do it well.

Or if you mean I'm headed down Mary-Sue street because of the opposite extreme, with the "woe is me" overly-emotional protagonist that everyone admires, I don't think I'm at much risk of that.
>>
>>8938664
Cut its tail, pierce its eye, cut its thoart, cast a specific spell, make bite its own tail, pierce its leathered wings while it's flying and make it crash. There are many ways to slay dragons from tale to tale.
>>
>>8941062
You just aren't a writer then.Accept it.
>>
>>8941081
Writing is a skill, not a magical talent you're either born with or not. Claims to the contrary are either writers stroking themselves off or non-writers making excuses.
>>
Is there a sci-fi / fantasy books about humans taking their religion to another planet / dimension to spread it and being resisted by the natives? You know like the conquistadores with native Americans only it's fantasy or sci-fi.
>>
>>8941091
Give me a minute anon, I literally read about one of these yesterday
>>
>>8941079
>Discussions about writing SFF happen in here fairly often
We usually give them a quick answer so they could go and write and stop bothering us, but sometimes they keep asking and asking. It's like they don't have friends so they come to us for companionship.
>>
File: 1231563.jpg (12KB, 318x318px) Image search: [Google]
1231563.jpg
12KB, 318x318px
>>8941091
Pic related. One of the stories is jews in space.
>>
>>8941096
>>8941091
Oh it was Safehold

Not natives, just religion on a colony that reverts to early tech
>>
>>8941091
That seems like it would give an interesting read.
>>
>>8941062
Every time you give characters two good traits (courageous, smart, etc) give them a flaw (narcissistic, alcohol problem, etc).

Add characters who you care less about but are there explicitly to die to make the characters you do care about seem less invincible.

Have them bailed out by third parties rather than constantly saving themselves, it makes them feel more helpless and reliant on others. Ie, more human.
>>
>>8941120
>Every time you give characters two good traits (courageous, smart, etc) give them a flaw (narcissistic, alcohol problem, etc).
Is this writing or a guide on D&D minmaxing?
>>
Is Metro 2033 worth the read? I bought it last week and have been deciding if I should read it before I read Red Rising.
>>
>>8941124
It's a good guideline I've picked up for people who struggle to write deep characters. The harder part is getting the novice writers to make the flaws good. Most of the time they end up with one overwritten flaw, like constant drinking or constant sexist comments, as if constant reminders to the reader will remind them that the character is flawed.
>>
>>8941133
What about a character who's actually kind of insecure when it comes to interpersonal matters, but seems very confident, if scattered, because he constantly seeks out novel experiences to distract himself from his shame at self-perceived character flaws?

Or one who is over-competitive because she takes competition as an indicator of her own competence, and is secretly worried that things could go wrong at any moment?

Or who lacks the discipline to follow through with things and accept temporary discomfort?
>>
File: fallen_by_spiralhorizon-d7qa1ug.jpg (72KB, 1024x563px) Image search: [Google]
fallen_by_spiralhorizon-d7qa1ug.jpg
72KB, 1024x563px
Shaeönanra did nothing wrong.
>>
>>8941130
I really liked it. The Commies/Fascists are pretty cartoonish, but I loved the Library guys and the sections on the surface.
>>
>>8941192
>Commies/Fascists
Those are pretty far apart, even if Marxist-Leninists are often pretty damn authoritarian.
>>
>>8941196
There are both Commies and Fascists in Metro.
>>
>>8941175
The first one sounds difficult to write, not just on a surface level but also in a way that makes it sound like a flaw and not just a Gary Stu "flaw". Like how Kvothe is an expert at sex and fucks whoever he wants, but his flaw is that he hasn't managed to get with the woman he wants.

The second one is fairly good, competitiveness is just a way of trying to compensate for or disguise something and when the reveal of what that is comes out it'll deepen the character.

The third one is a flaw which can be frustrating to readers, but that's not necessarily a bad thing. Not every character has to be totally likeable, even good/main ones, but with this one it also depends what examples you use, I think. Like, if they're just irrelevant things he's lazy about it won't look that bad for him.
>>
>>8941203
Oh, misinterpreted the / there. Thanks for clarifying.
>>
>>8941175
>>8941205
The first and third could go hand-in-hand. Constantly starting projects, never finishing them, being kind of a hedonistic flake and occasionally lashing out like an asshole because he thinks he's broken inside and it's easier to have people outright reject him than to wonder whether they're kind out of pity and secretly look down on him.
>>
>>8941218
Yeah that's true. Would probably have to be one of the main leads to do it justice though.
>>
>>8941062
This is exactly how God feels giving you hardship in your life. Focus on how beautiful your characters will be once they have overcome these things, and remember how you have improved by overcoming what you have faced.
>>
File: 181.jpg (23KB, 400x302px) Image search: [Google]
181.jpg
23KB, 400x302px
>>8941100
>It's like they don't have friends so they come to us for companionship.
>>
File: jeez.jpg (10KB, 153x169px) Image search: [Google]
jeez.jpg
10KB, 153x169px
It doesn't feel like that much.
>>
File: IMG_0162.jpg (105KB, 900x593px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0162.jpg
105KB, 900x593px
Ok guys, I give up. You're right, my books aren't that great. Or great at all. I mean, I still think The Name of the Wind was decent, but Wise Man's Fear was garbage. I just want you guys to stop mememing me. Seriously /lit/, I cried myself to sleep last night when I realized Kvothe is a shit character. The problem now is that I have a bunch of faggots that actually think my writing is good, and they're getting angry about not having the third book yet. I just can't write anything I don't hate. I kinda want to leave this god awful Kingkiller series unfinished so I can focus on something that is actually good. Can anyone tell me what could possibly happen in the third book that would redeem the series in your eyes?
>>
File: TTBC1_Cover1-680x1024.jpg (97KB, 680x1024px) Image search: [Google]
TTBC1_Cover1-680x1024.jpg
97KB, 680x1024px
I thought that this book was pretty good, the world building was good, but the dialogue and characters left something to be desired.

I would read the sequel.
>>
File: chiiiiii-graaaaa.jpg (69KB, 550x795px) Image search: [Google]
chiiiiii-graaaaa.jpg
69KB, 550x795px
>>8939641
So do all fist-faces have dicks? Even the one that Cnaiur loves

Also isn't "The nail of heaven" just a name for the moon?
>>
>>8941600
Why is the face a mask that is cracking? Is it some ai book where the human facade is exposed as just a shell? is it GRI APPROVED?

What is it about? If you are the same guy who shilled me grace of kings keep your answers and explanations, I don't want it.
>>
File: 1468807558676.png (256KB, 318x474px) Image search: [Google]
1468807558676.png
256KB, 318x474px
>>8941627
Hey anon. I see you're looking for something new to read. Check this book out. It's comfy and good. You'll have a marvelous time. I promise.
>>
>>8941623
>Cnaiur
I was wondering the same thing.
The first one that wore the face of his prize said that "she" was wife to his people centuries /decades ago then "she" died and another took "her" place. I think the new one is a dick girl, I only read the first trilogy though.

So I'm thinking that they have vaginas, but as another anon said maybe they are like horses and have retractable penises. They suck everything up and let you bugger them or "dock" with them.
>>
>>8941627
That's what I thought as well, it was in the sci-fi section at my library.

It starts with a young girl on an island that's being taken over by economic manipulation, the invaders build a school and begin teaching the gifted children, I kept waiting for cyborgs or aliens, but it is a Fantasy book.

The invaders are the Masquerade, the anonymously wears a mask and professionals ( soldiers scientists Parliament) wear them as well so it's a meritocracy.
>>
>>8941663
>Glbt tag on goodreads

What is the meaning of this? Is it SJW fiction?
>>
>>8941645
I'm not looking for something new to read, I have 10 known books on the backburner for when I finish with Georgie boy. A bunch of others in my bookmarks that I will browse through and select from.

The cover just looks interesting that's all.
>>
>>8941645
Kate, show me a pic of your inner thigh and I will read your book.
>>
>>8941668
The Masquerade teaches 'social hygenics' they hate fags, killing them with red hot pokers, lesbians are castrated, and promiscuous behavior is also punished. They're the bad guys, Nazi levels of eugenics.

There are more likable characters who are gay.

It fits into the story decently well, but is maybe a tad forced.
>>
>>8941668
Maybe the young "girl" is really a tomgirl. Hi-jinx ensues when they find the penis after educating.
>>
File: this kills the lit.png (394KB, 584x622px) Image search: [Google]
this kills the lit.png
394KB, 584x622px
>>8941686
>lesbians are castrated
...I don't think you or the author knows how that works...
>>
An autistic savant would think in an unusual way and notice things a normal person wouldn't. Have her figure out the answer to the mystery/the reason of the plot early in the story and make it her struggle to communicate her ideas with the other characters.
>>
>>8941623
It's only fitting that the one who follows "the most violent of all fags" should have a dick.
If i remember correctly most of them have no souls but the mandate skinspy was an exception. Same can be with dicks.
>>
>>8941699
You're right, I don't know the particulars of how to castrate women. They have a corps that finds outliers, and fixes them.

If I remrmber, they remove the clitorous, making them only good for reproduction, no pleasure from sex.

I wanted it to be about cyborgs, and all the homosexual stuff wasnt overtly SJW, but the Masquerade are villains.

Overall an ok book, I would recommend it.
>>
>>8941722
>If I remrmber, they remove the clitorous, making them only good for reproduction, no pleasure from sex.
That circumcision then, female circumcision if you want... you can't castrate a female. Don't say it in front of people or you will look foolish.
>>
File: aurora.jpg (1MB, 1800x2775px) Image search: [Google]
aurora.jpg
1MB, 1800x2775px
>>8941745
Ok, Female Genital Mutilation looks pretty painful, I didn't even know it was so common. The videos where they get adults are pretty visceral.

Read this book yesterday, most of it written from the perspective of a colony ships AI, it's filled with all of these ham fisted PSA as the AI discovers metaphors and questions consciousness, but it's poorly done spoon feeding. Simple narration for story progression , but the characters aren't compelling enough carry it.

Kinda shitty
>>
>>8941861
Only good KSR is Years of Rice and Salt, and its alt-hist isn't even that great, it's a lot better just as a Buddhist novel.
>>
What are some good books with absolutely stupid-looking cover art? I'd like some good examples of "Don't judge a book by its cover."
>>
File: 1473606479027.png (2MB, 872x1300px) Image search: [Google]
1473606479027.png
2MB, 872x1300px
>>8942053
>>
File: empress2.jpg (32KB, 311x500px) Image search: [Google]
empress2.jpg
32KB, 311x500px
>>8942053
This cover is shit and the book is also shit.
>>
File: 1481407932301-311472205.jpg (424KB, 1600x787px) Image search: [Google]
1481407932301-311472205.jpg
424KB, 1600x787px
>>8942057
Why haven't they used pic related instead of that abomination?
I was lucky i didn't see that cover when downloading book.
>>
>>8942057
That kind of reminds me of the poster for "The Room."
>>
>>8941623
I'm sure they are pretty much like Tleilaxu face dancers, that is they can change their sex at will.
>>
>>8942296
Now that I think about it though, I wouldn't be surprised if Cnaiur's wife kept some male parts in memory of Moënghus.
>>
File: 0765310015.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg (45KB, 328x500px) Image search: [Google]
0765310015.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg
45KB, 328x500px
>>8942053
>>
File: 22888550.jpg (63KB, 317x475px) Image search: [Google]
22888550.jpg
63KB, 317x475px
>>8942053
coincidentally, the book is also shit
>>
>>8938979
She managed to name 10 female authors without naming any of the 6 I've read and enjoyed. In fact I've only heard of 2 of those authors.
>>
>>8942330
This one desperately needed a new cover, but the other ones didn't.
>>
>>8942093
>>8942424
You guys are not very good at reading, are you?
>>
>>8942504
When I have to read about tugging god braids, and "the god be with you" I will find any opportunity to shit on it.
>>
>>8942545
I notice the cover is kind of anime. Is the book itself also kind of anime?
>>
New /sffg/fag here. Post your favorite charts, please. Thanks.
>>
>>8942649
Here's my stab at one >>8939007
>>
>>8942647
No. It a woman hating men and their penises yet riding dicks till she is preggers. She also allows (and asks the tribe leader to fuck her good even though she hates sex).

It opened my eyes to females desu, they will pretend that they like you until they get what they want.
>>
>>8942649
Read the fucking thread
>>
>>8939007
>Neil Stephenson can't spell anthem
What a dip.
>>
>>8942794
It's a shortened form of "anathema", the process for expelling a monk
>>
File: 200_2.jpg (56KB, 330x499px) Image search: [Google]
200_2.jpg
56KB, 330x499px
>>8942053
Baen seems to saddle a lot of their authors with terrible 3D CGI covers.
>>
File: photo.jpg (429KB, 900x900px) Image search: [Google]
photo.jpg
429KB, 900x900px
>>8942839
Baen?
>>
>>8942839
Not to mention fonts. Crikey.
>>
File: 1477179053209.png (119KB, 800x790px) Image search: [Google]
1477179053209.png
119KB, 800x790px
>inchoroi sausagefest

where are the sexy inchoroi ladies?
>>
File: deadhousegatesstoneerikson.jpg (39KB, 648x397px) Image search: [Google]
deadhousegatesstoneerikson.jpg
39KB, 648x397px
>>8942483
hnggghhh
>>
File: Leoman of the Spurdo.jpg (183KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
Leoman of the Spurdo.jpg
183KB, 1024x768px
>>8942902
>>
>>8938807
Dune has Space Muslims
>>
>>8941861

>Calling it mutilation when it's done to a female but not to a man
>>
>>8939641

Go on?
>>
What's the coolest SFF sport? The zero-grav laser tag from Ender's Game? Quidditch? Welters? Something else?
>>
>>8942718
I already have those.
>>
>>8942949
>>
Post charts
>>
>>8939641
This was the exact moment I knew that I'd be reading this series for the long haul.
>>
>>8942949
The game from The Player of Games
>>
>>8942957
Why do people care about the gender of the author? It's not like your genitalia will influence the quality of the book.
>>
>>8942977
>It's not like your genitalia will influence the quality of the book.

It will though womamemes can't write
>>
>>8942839
Baen seems to saddle their artists with terrible pedestrian wish-fulfillment authors.
>>
>>8942977
Because they're less common, I guess. Like white basketball players.
>>
>>8942945
The Battle Room is probably the very best, though I can't think of many others with well-defined rules. Quidditch is trash.
>>
>>8942957
>Atwood
>>
>>8942991
Wow I didn't expect to encounter this manga here. Man was it fucking bad.
>>
>>8942977
Women write books that women enjoy. Men write books that men enjoy. Let me know which books are written by women, so I can filter them out and find something I'll actually enjoy.

>B-but you owe them a fair chance!

Life is short, and I'd rather not waste my time. If you like female authors so much, send them an envelope full of money.
>>
>>8943000
Didn't like the twist, eh?
That author does the very best "don't stick it in crazy" stories.
>>
>>8943001
Not necessarily, Stephen King for instance writes books that appeal to bitches only.
>>
is there something like A Wrinkle In Time that's "hard science fantasy" except it's not boring?
>>
>>8943035
Orphans of Chaos.
>>
>>8943059
>still trying to ruse people into reading this shite
I can't believe I wasted two days on Wright's wank fantasies
>>
Is there a fantasy book about elves fighting humans from the point of view of the elves?
>>
>>8943070
>I wanked to it therefore it's wank fantasy
>>
>>8943072
Define "elf."
>>
>>8943070
What's wrong with it, other than the fact that you're gay and don't like girls?
>>
>>8943075
A humanoid species known for their remarkable features such as sharp eyes, pointy ears, beautiful faces and slender bodies. They're also known for their tendencies to be adept mainly of magic or marksmanship. A common but not always present feature of elves is that they tend to be wood-dwelling hunter-gatherer tribal societies.
>>
>>8943093

You forgot to add they're always gigantic faggots
>>
>>8943093
So you basically want Mongolians?
>>
>>8942945
>>8942986
>Battle Room
>sport
>>
File: sportflowchart.png (340KB, 500x904px) Image search: [Google]
sportflowchart.png
340KB, 500x904px
>>8943108
>>
>>8943097
hahahaha no. Mongols are rice nigger shit. I want elves. Elves.
>>
>>8942974
He didn't actually describe all that much about the game. I get that the mechanics weren't the point and it was more about the idea but it meant all I could really do was imagine 20D chess.
>>
>>8943072
>>8943093
IDK man, but Malazan Book of the Fallen has a race sorta similar to that called the Tiste Edur. They're a long-lived tribal people who live in heavily forested lands and don't really practice agriculture, they depend on seals for food. They also have a lot of talent for magic among their people, with like 2/3 of their race having a natural gift for it. And they do end up going to war with humans, but it's not the way you're probably imagining.
>>
>>8943138
wtf was that boardgame in Toll the Hounds?
>>
>>8943120
This chart is so nonsensical you can't even make it 3 questions in before there's mistakes.
>>
>>8943096
Then it just becomes a description of regular humans.
>>
>>8943149
Kef Tanar

https://forum.malazanempire.com/topic/17372-kef-tanar-rules-and-gameplay/
>>
>>8943146
>Malazan Book of the Fallen

Is it decent? If you were me would you read this Malazan Book of the Fallen, the Way of Kings by Brandon Sanderson, or the Farseer Trilogy by Robin Hobb?

I recently dropped reading ASOIAF after A Game of Thrones disappointed me. Now I am twice more cautious before deciding to invest my time in a book.
>>
File: Broken_sword.jpg (39KB, 200x296px) Image search: [Google]
Broken_sword.jpg
39KB, 200x296px
>>8943128
You know what, son, your elves aren't much different from Mongols. It's a bastardization of a reimagining filtered through thirty years of neckbeard pastimes. Here, let me get you some real Elves, coastal raiders with a penchant for trickery, and leaking magic from their very pores. They'll steal your babies and trade you gold for leaves, but they're handy with sword and byrnie and longship. They live forever but do not have souls, and while they don't much like the followers of the White Christ they're probably still around making mischief and mayhem somewhere.
>>
>>8943159
If you only ever read one Epic fantasy series read the Erikson.
>>
>>8942945
The Cones of Dunshire.
>>
>>8943159

Read the first book of Malazan, don't bother with the rest, and most definitely if you do continue, don't finish the last few books
>>
>>8943159
Malazan Book of the Fallen requires a significant investment of time, it's a 10 book series and each book is both long and very dense. Lots of perspectives, and events that jump around on a timeline that's hundreds of thousands of years long. Just to get to the Tiste Edur you'd have to read through to book 5, and even then I'm still not sure it has what you're looking for.
>>
I need a book about a knight rides around a well-built world looking for adventures or some lord to serve.

>inb4 Don Quixote
>>
>>8943200
Kino's Journey has some of that with Shizu.
>>
>>8943200

The name of the Wind
>>
>>8938979

>Mercedes Thompson series

Oh yeah, a series about a shapeshifting slut bouncing between werewolf and vampire dicks.
>>
>>8943264

Are the slut, the werewolf and the vampire at least related, and is she the mother and one her father and the other her son
>>
>>8943288

No, but she is a descendant of women who got fucked by a Native American Coyote shapeshifting trickster spirit and he does try to bang her several times.
>>
Is Blood Song as good as they say it is?
>>
>>8943296
For what it is. Just don't read the rest of the series.
>>
NTR books?
>>
>>8943315

Your biography.
>>
>>8943163

>Through and between the whirring, flickering blades wove the elf women in a measure swift and supple and intricate as the foam-play on a whirlpool. The men danced to each other, beyond, and wheeled about, and each threw his sword in a glittering arc at his opposite number, just missing a lithe lovely body, and caught the weapon thrown at him.

Skafloc quoth:
>Swiftly goes the sword-play!
>Swinging bloodied weapons,
>shields and helms to shatter,
>shout the men their war-cry.
>While the angry, whining,
>whirring blades are sparking,
>howl the wolves their hunger,
>hawks stoop low for feasting.
>>
>>8943329
>mfw 99% of this general doesn't know there was an action-heavy GRI with accurate medieval tech published the same year as Fellowship of the Ring
>>
I did enjoy Gardens of the Moon but I need someone to be honest with me: is the rest of the series a painful descent into fucking shit.
>>
>>8943401
No. GoM is arguably the weakest book.
>>
>>8942647
Empress is fucking amazing, ignore that dude.

It's the origin story of the big bad. The main character's a narcissistic as fuck tribal who gets bought of slavery to be a courtesan but is dumb enough to think it was out of love.

Then she finds out the reality of her situation and loses her shit. Also an Eldritch god is involved
>>
>>8943200
Deed of Paks
>>
>>8943296
Blood Song is a really good single PoV action fantasy novel.

In the sequels the author flips to multiple PoV's, loses a bunch of his characterisation and goes from magic being mysterious and background to front and center.
>>
>>8943421

It's arguably the best
>>
>>8943296
First book is pretty OK. Awkward prose that every first-time author suffers from but it's pretty good even considering. Sequel shits the bed completely, and I mean completely. From what I hear, the third book is hot garbage too, so I didn't bother reading that after the awful mess the second was.
>>
>>8943159
Why would you drop reading an incredible book series over a travesty of a show?
>>
>>8943522
The first book of the A Song of Ice and Fire is titled A Game of Thrones (HBO took the title of the first book for their show instead of the awkward series title)
>>
>>8943475
>>8943496

Anyone gives his new series a try?
>>
I'm looking for something for an adult that gives the same feeling as 'The Hobbit'.

When I was younger, The Hobbit gave me such a sense of wonder and lust for adventure in the world. I don't know what it was about it, but it gave me these feelings strongly.

What is an adult analogue to the hobbit that illicits similar feelings?
>>
>>8943576
And by adult, I mean 22
>>
>>8943576
It's gone forever. Get over it.
>>
>>8943554
I got to the point where I realised it was multiple PoV and put it on the backburner

I'll come back to it at some point but I don't have faith in Ryan. Cool setting though
>>
>>8941555
Kvaggot dies on page 1
>>
>>8943576
Maybe Magician if you ignore all the chapters that aren't Pug
>>
>>8943576
You can read the Hobbit again, it's not against the law.

Adult analogue, though, try Smith of Wootton Major. It's even shorter but it hits heavy. MacDonald and Dunsany are similarly packed with sense of wonder, and William Morris if you can stand quasi-medieval dialogue.

For something more modern I'd definitely recommend The High House.
>>
>>8943576
nothing can really compare to LOTR or The Hobbit in my opinion, especially if that's what you grew up with
>>
File: d757178e9590426e24999889d61ae52d.jpg (748KB, 1778x2418px) Image search: [Google]
d757178e9590426e24999889d61ae52d.jpg
748KB, 1778x2418px
Michael Whelan's vision of Lord of the Rings is objectively best.
>>
>>8943576
Nothing for me has ever again had the effect of Tolkien at that age. Might as well accept it.
>>
>>8943619
Smith of Wootton Major legitimately did. And I know I wouldn't have understood it at all if I'd read it when I was young.
>>
File: 6c3a4c73c327dcf64cc501511fb60fac.jpg (194KB, 1300x836px) Image search: [Google]
6c3a4c73c327dcf64cc501511fb60fac.jpg
194KB, 1300x836px
>>8943616
Whoops, John Howe. Embarrassing slip.
>>
>>8943576
The Long Ships by Frans Bengtsson

It makes you realize that the world really was full of wonder and adventure (and shit and suffering) before the steam locomotive. No fantasy required.

And it's fucking awesome in its own right.
>>
>>8941555
A book that is 99% dedicated to solving the mystery of the Chandrians.
>>
>>8943576

The Magicians trilogy by Grossman
>>
File: tolk-rivendell.jpg (264KB, 722x595px) Image search: [Google]
tolk-rivendell.jpg
264KB, 722x595px
>>8943636
total thing for Naismith personally
>>
>>8943159
>I recently dropped reading ASOIAF after A Game of Thrones disappointed me. Now I am twice more cautious before deciding to invest my time in a book.
>after A Games of Thrones disappointed me
>implying the TV-show and the books don't diverge wildly after season 2
Got close to raging there, 7/10.
>>
File: Map_of_the_Hobbit.jpg (213KB, 1200x941px) Image search: [Google]
Map_of_the_Hobbit.jpg
213KB, 1200x941px
>>8943664
Naismith is also excellent.
>>
File: Unexpected_Party.jpg (31KB, 800x511px) Image search: [Google]
Unexpected_Party.jpg
31KB, 800x511px
>>8943671
That's a comfy-looking home there, it would be a shame if someone... threw an unexpected party.
>>
Lev gross man a shit

magicians book is unbearably bad
>>
>>8943686

Your opinion is wrong
>>
>>8943628

>not reading it shortly after LoTR in a frenzied bid to fill the void only to be disappointed.
>>
>>8943677
fuck those movies
>>
>>8943698
As a kid I filled the void with reading LotR again. I thankfully didn't have access to SoWM.
>>
Anyone read The Secret Circle? How is it?
>>
>>8943700
>take the most perfectly feature-film-paced book that isn't a novelization
>make it a trilogy
Bravo Jackson.
>>
File: no homo.png (1MB, 650x886px) Image search: [Google]
no homo.png
1MB, 650x886px
Discuss.
>>
>>8943264
>Oh yeah, a series about a shapeshifting slut bouncing between werewolf and vampire dicks.
Don't you mean Anita Blake ?
>>
File: ThePlayerOfGames.jpg (122KB, 397x620px) Image search: [Google]
ThePlayerOfGames.jpg
122KB, 397x620px
>>8942974
old cover aesthetic as fuck
>>
File: CikRP3IUkAAVUf1.jpg (237KB, 1024x1536px) Image search: [Google]
CikRP3IUkAAVUf1.jpg
237KB, 1024x1536px
>>8943554
Meh. It a book about junkies jonesing for dragon blood.
>>
>>8943433
That dude here. If the first book is hot shit with a bunch of repetitive phrases that drives one crazy, please explain why should one continue to the next book?

I had no problem with "the most precious", I read books with worst characters. No. The problem I have is the fucking braid tugging and the repetitiveness of phrases.
Cha, isn't that book most precious? Isn't the book the mother of hekat? *tuggs god braids* Isn't it the reader's doom? The god see this book in it's eye. The god smiteing eye. *tugs her god braids*

Fuck you. I bet you were the faggot that recommended it to me.
>>
>>8943835
what are the effects?
>>
>>8943892
Can't recall precisely (read 30+ books since that)
Black controls gravity?
Red controls fire
Green is healing?
Blue is for data transmission (telepathy syncing)
>>
>>8943903
Christ. Has he gone full Sanderson?
>>
>>8943200
Tales of Dunk and Egg
>>
>>8943200
Not precisely the criteria but there are plenty knights and chivalric goings on with Miles Cameron.
>>
>>8943576
Terminal World?
>>
>>8943554
It would be better if he would stick to a single fucking PoV. Dragon safari was neat, spy chick was meh bordering on terrible, and ship captain was completely irrelevant.

Anthony Ryan if you read this, tell your publisher to fuck themselves and stick to a single PoV
>>
>>8943903
Yes that's right

But you forgot to list white
>>
>>8942057
>not following the amazing adventures of the angry man trapped inside of silverware
>>
How can I choose a book to read next if I can't even decide if I want a happy book or a sorrowful book or a hopeful book or a book full of despair
>>
Dune novels rated /tv/ style

I>IV>V>II>III>VI
>>
>>8944013
kek

these were good at least
>>
>>8944005
what's it do?
>>
>>8944045
Let's you see the future
>>
>>8944020
make a roll chart and post it
>>
File: Ted-Nasmith-4.jpg (191KB, 1072x596px) Image search: [Google]
Ted-Nasmith-4.jpg
191KB, 1072x596px
>>8943677
>>
I need a book about a wizard gathering a team of unwilling crybabies to go on on adventure to destroy an item the same dark overlord is going after. I want the book to also have humans, elves, dwarves being the good guys and orcs and their overlords being the evil fucks. I want the book to have a wizard who'll betray his order and join the overlord only to be BTFOd by the good wizard. I badly need a resurrection to happen, preferably to the good wizard.
>>
>>8943315
The Darkness that Comes Before

Not even memeing. The series is built on NTR and cucking.
>>
>>8942195
these covers are what got me to read it lmao

>>8942296
then why did the bitch king of momemn's dear whore mother have a dick? just for funsies?

>>8942314
i figured cnauir would be a man of refined taste and be followed by only the most succulent of inhuman traps with his thick dicked serwe

>>8942896
more like aurax and aur -wang-

I was starting to think that all the inchoroi's creations wore male genitals because it just seems to fit their philosophy of fucking every weird thing possible but then how da heck the sranc reproduce. maybe they are like hyenas.
>>
>>8944114
The Lord of the Rings.
>>
Is any of Lev Grossman's stuff besides The Magicians trilogy good?
>>
>>8938664
First down it by ballista-ing the wings, then pierce the scale-armored torso using heavy horse-mounted knights with bespoke lances charging at it.
>>
>>8943828
At least Anita made it a whole 5 or 6 books before the dick bouncing commenced in earnest.
>>
>>8944024
I only read one and two because the third one starts with those fuckin kids and I couldn't deal with it.
I loved them both, though, and probably like 2 better than 1 for its portrayal of omniscience and the weakness of paul despite it and his messiah status. getting blinded by the nuke and still knowing where people were because he saw the future of them being there is cool as fuck
>>
>>8944020
Read schlock instead

I'm currently reading about a teleporting special ops soldier because I couldn't decide which major tome to read next.
>>
>>8944114
Isn't like 90% of this Lotr or Shannara?

>>8944167
He's a much better essay writer than he is a fiction writer
>>
>>8944210
>He's a much better essay writer than he is a fiction writer
What has he written essays about?
>>
>>8944210
>Shannara

Well Shannara is literally just a copy of LOTR anyway, fucking carbon copy
>>
>>8944232
Shannara has one really good twist/reveal but other than that it's totally just lotr in the post-apoc
>>
>>8944210
That's the joke.
>>
>>8944237
It's LotR taken apart and put back together except now it's rickety and some screws are missing, and it doesn't turn on all the time so you have to bump it with your hand.
>>
>>8944154
>ow da heck the sranc reproduce

there are female sranc

they probably have dicks too just because
>>
Is only the Sword of Shannara LOTR or are the other ones too? Since there's like 20 books in the series, any of those worth reading?
>>
What are some good sci-fi or fantasy books that show really intimate (not necessarily in the sense of sex, though it's fine if it is) moments of characters' lives? Things that make them feel human and vulnerable and raw.

Especially if those same characters get to also be badass at other times.
>>
>>8944247
That's also Robert Jordan to an extent.
>tfw you realize the trollocs are literally just a combination of trolls and orcs
>>
Bump limit reached
new thread

>>8944286
>>8944286
>>
>>8944279
They're pretty standard action fantasy schlock. Some of them have decent ideas I guess. Nothing special. He manages to make airships boring.
>>
>>8944284
I hated how the trollocs turned into fodder

Not just for the mc's, who it made sense for, but also for random footsoldiers
>>
>>8944208
What are you reading?
bookbinder should have been main protagonist
>>
Will the fact that ice already seen the movies ruin reading LOTR?
>>
>>8944834
No, but reading LOTR will ruin the movies for you since the books are much better.
>>
How would you write an immensely powerful, magic-using character without allowing them to become a source of asspulls and deus ex machina? What are ways to make the use of magic in fiction only desirable in emergency situations?

An example: Wizard and company are trapped inside of a dungeon, and the wizard insists on finding a way out without the use of magic, but when they encounter some life-threatening evil, the wizard is still capable of using potent magic against it. What should be the factor that motivates the wizard to forgo simply teleporting everyone out, using magic to detonate the walls, or using magic in some other way that makes escaping too easy? What kind of handicap or limitation could motivate him to only use magic when his life is in danger?
>>
>>8945133
The malazan route is pretty neat: power attracts power, so unleashing any serious magic will only draw other powerful magical entities to you and escalate the situation. So power is checked not by any natural limitation on it, but by the fact that if you flaunt your power too much you end up drawing in ever more powerful entities until eventually something way out of your league shows up to put an end to you.
Thread posts: 334
Thread images: 59

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.