[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Light Books to Read

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 1

File: 1475013703227.jpg (11KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
1475013703227.jpg
11KB, 480x360px
Not the most common thread on /lit/, but I've been trying to adjust to reading on paper from doing so much on a screen, and it would be nice to have something to have fun with paired with some of the heavier things I'm reading.

Does /lit/ have any guilty pleasures or books they read or that they just have fun with? Something they don't read to study, rather simply for diversion

pic unrelated
>>
>>8937658
famous jewish athletes
>>
>>8937658
My favorite humor book is Confederacy of Dunces by John Kennedy Toole. It's the greatest depiction of a pseudointellectual NEET lifestyle ever put to paper.
>>
>>8937658
reading the hobbit right now. The story is good but the writing is boring as fuck and I feel like I am degenerating my reading ability by reading it.
>>
>>8937661

Very droll.
>>
>>8937688
>>8937688

I read the Hobbit, I liked the story, but felt that the writing was also really boring; did I really need to revisualize and understand all the varied environmental scenery Tolkien was trying to convey? I suppose if you appreciate that sort of writing, you could, but I absolutely hated it as well
>>
Life is too short to read anything not serious. Start with the Greeks before it's too late.
>>
>>8937658

Haruki Murakami's short stories are pretty nice, OP. Try The Elephant Vanishes
>>
Resident Evil tie-in books.
>>
>>8937658
Artemis Fowl series
>>
>>8937658
Kafka, Borges, or Hemingway short stories.
>>
harry potter :^)
>>
>>8938290
/thread
>>
Sherlock Holmes
Edgar Allan Poe
HP Lovecraft
Short stories

Still semi-/lit/ to full /lit/, but light reads.
>>
>>8937688
i read the hobbit and really liked it, didn't feel it was dense
but then i moved to lotr and FUCK, you described my exact feelings:
>I am degenerating my reading ability by reading it.
>>
>>8937658
Anything by Pratchett is good. I recommend Hogfather, it's an imaginative fantasy take on the Santa Claus mythology. Paragraphs are short and the plot moves fast, so it's a breeze.
>>
Hegel or Kant.
>>
>>8937658
Do I have to go to bed so soon?
>>
>>8938290
these are great, but still take some serious thought. I like to keep a historical fiction going at the same time as my true /lit/, just to zone out with, especially for reading in shtty places like the subway. I just finished Lincoln by Gore Vidal and Shogun by James Clavell
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.