[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What are some good reads for camping? Pic very much related.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 6

What are some good reads for camping? Pic very much related.
>>
File: 51Gtw42dTNL.jpg (46KB, 309x499px) Image search: [Google]
51Gtw42dTNL.jpg
46KB, 309x499px
>>
>>8937422
my side of the mountain

never hear it mentioned. great shit. dude has a falcon and everything.
>>
>>
>>8937484

Sounds awesome by the description on Amazon!

>>8937493

Definitely getting this.
>>
>>
>>
>>8937677
i haven't read it since childhood, but it was great. also, swiss family robinson is pretty fun.
>>
File: 14Feb11_05.jpg (166KB, 1024x680px) Image search: [Google]
14Feb11_05.jpg
166KB, 1024x680px
Hemingway, "Big Two-Hearted River," part 1 & 2. A soldier returns to his home town from WWI, hikes into the woods, sets up camp. He eats, sleeps, prepares breakfast the next morning, and goes fishing. Beautiful, immersive reading.

Jack London, "To Build a Fire".

Opening paragraph: Day had broken cold and gray, exceedingly cold and gray, when the man turned aside from the main Yukon trail and climbed the high earth-bank, where a dim and little traveled trail led eastward through the fat spruce timberland. It was a steep bank, and he paused for breath at the top, excusing the act to himself by looking at his watch. It was nine o’clock. There was no sun nor hint of sun, though there was not a cloud in the sky. It was a clear day, and yet there seemed an intangible pall over the face of things, a subtle gloom that made the day dark, and that was due to the absence of the sun.

Something a little spooky can go down well on such a trip. Algernon Blackwood, "The Wendigo." The language is evocative and murky, making the forest come alive and the stillness of the far north broods like a monster.

W.W. Jacobs, "The Monkey's Paw" is shorter than "The Wendigo," and packs a more direct wallop. A good read on its own terms, and near-surefire for a read-around-the-campfire story.
>>
>>8937493
Holy shit I read that book years and years ago and just remembered it now.
>>
>>8939681
comfy memories, eh?
>>
Into the wild? Survival methods of navy seals, special ops,
Ranger survival guide.
These are all more powerful because not only are they educational, they give you perspective on yourself.
>>
>>8937422
canterbury tales
poetry
the bible

mc carthy if youre into that but im not
>>
>>8937422
White fangs
>>
Faulkner's "The Old People" and "The Bear" from Go Down Moses. I'd highly recommend the entire book but those two stories are 10/10 for camping specifically. Really made me interested in hunting. Faulkner's description of the woods is some of the best I've ever read.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.