[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What would you change on this list?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 1

File: Essentials.png (91KB, 840x810px) Image search: [Google]
Essentials.png
91KB, 840x810px
What would you change on this list?
>>
>>8936896
Remove pinecone
Add woolf
>>
nothing of note happened in the 1700s lmaooooooooooooooooooOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
>>
>>8936896

Either Catch 22 or Slaughterhouse Five are way better postmodern novels than Gravity's Rainbow, for the simple fact that people in the future aren't gonna want to read a 700 page novel to figure out what postmodernism was all about. What an arrogant legacy.

I'd argue Don Quixiote was the last piece of literature worthy of being remembered- for its being exemplary of a novel- following only The Bible and Hamlet, but this looks like required reading for a literature course or something, so whatever.
>>
>>8936896
Gulag Archipelago, Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn
The Faerie Queene, Spenser
Invisible Man, Ellison
>>
Add IJ
>>
>>8936896
>>8936921
yup, add Woolf (To the Lighthouse and maybe Dalloway too), remove Ibsen. Add The Brothers Karamazov, or replace Crime & Punishment with it. The Wasteland arguably deserves a spot.
>>
>>8936896
No Voltaire?
>>
>>8937148
But I've already read both of those, but I've never read C&P
>>
>>8936940
>people in the future aren't gonna want to read a 700 page novel to figure out what postmodernism was all about

Why would they? They'll listen to the audiobook instead.
>>
>>8936896
Frankenstein
Treasure Island
One Hundred years of solitude
>>
>>8936896
Apocrypha
Only the Catholic Church recognizes it. They deal with obscure parts of Jewish history. If you're a young man, replace with the Book of Proverbs.
>>
>>8936896
>Complete Works of Shakespeare
No. Selected is fine. Shakespeare is not infallible.

To add:
>Plays of Aristophanes
at least one.
>Plato's Republic
Its arguably better than almost everything on this list. Not even joking. It has a lot more depth than the surface. Although you could scrap it if you're restrained to fiction.

>On the Road / Naked Lunch
As part of form and style

>Stephen King / "popular" novelists
Reading bad, mediocre, or at least popular literature is as essential as the greats. This should be obvious. As long as it isn't overberaing or time consuming I think that seriously examining some relevant stuff is important for seeing their appeal, their flaws, and marketability etc.

>Lolita
Because its fucking fantastic. Even if its not as impressive as Pale Fire.

>Short Stories of Ernest Hemingway
Because they're his best work, and extremely influential. The Killers, Snows of Kilimonjaro and Short life of Macomber at the very least.

>Heart of Darkness
About colonial/imperial literature perhaps? Plus its good stuff anyways

>Great Gatsby
American classic, extremely influential.
>>
>>8937258
>>8937204

agreed on all of these.

also

Alexander Pope - The Rape of the Lock
Ovid's Metamophoses
Aesop's Fables / Grimm's Fairy Tales
Edgar Allan Poe, Selected Works (mostly short stories & essays)
Walt Whitman - Song of Myself (1855 version)
The Ramayana
sections of The Romance of the Three Kingdoms
sections of Mahabharata
sections of Journey to the West
>>
>aleph

wtf
>>
the typeface

....possibly the font
>>
Why would I need that when I have this?:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Books_of_the_Western_World#Volumes
>>
>>8936896
I'd remove Joyce and Pynchon.
>>
>>8936928
Christopher Smart is good, but the Enlightenment and Scientific Revolution was deadly for 18th-century art. Literature of that period was dominated by shitty satires and mock epics
>>
>>8936896
>no Chaucer
>no Sappho
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.