[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What is your process for reading a book in another language?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2

File: hon_hon_oui_oui_le_baguette.png (14KB, 487x498px) Image search: [Google]
hon_hon_oui_oui_le_baguette.png
14KB, 487x498px
What is your process for reading a book in another language? Do you stop when you hit a word you don't know and can't figure out through context or do you simply push forward?

I ask because I've read two books in French over the past few months. Each one was less than 200 pages but they took me about three months each to read because everytime I hit a new word I would stop, look up the definition on a 3 or 4 different dictionaries, and put it on my vocabulary list. I felt I improved my vocabulary greatly by doing this but it's real grind. The next three books I plan to read are over 300 pages each and I'm considering just reading them without constantly looking up the new words I stumble across but I'm worried I won't get as much out of them.
>>
>>8936853

In Classics there are good vocabulary tools that can generate a list of, say all words in a given author used more than once. I've always found it's best to grind through a few thousand words and know them inside and out rather than going in "blind". I don't know if such resources exist for French. I wouldn't memorize every single word you look up. You can actually remember many words by re-reading what you've already read several times. Eventually you reach a point with a language where you're looking up <50 words for every 30 minutes of reading and at that point you can start memorizing everything you look up but at the start that's probably too many words many of which you might not see again for months or years.
>>
>>8936853
Depends on your fluency, and depends on the type of book.

The best thing to do (to improve your proficiency) is to stop every time to search the word; or at least to write it down in a text file, then search for the meaning later. But, indeed, it will impede the flow if there are too many unknown words.

In my experience, it's okay to break the flow if it's an essay, less okay with a novel, and not okay at all with a play or a long poem (whose aesthetic effect works on the fact you don't disrupt the flow). So, if you're not fluent enough, read essays rather than poetry. Short aphorisms work well too (La Rochefoucauld, Vauvenargues, La Bruyère, Chamfort, etc.).

Also, consider e-readers with an internal dictionary. You click on the word, the meaning is shown, done.

>disclaimer: I'm French and what I do applies to what I read in English
>>
>start reading Proust in French
>struggle miserably
>too far in to just quit
>>
>>8936892
It was too ambitious for your power level. But the Moncrieff translation is really good. You don't lose a lot IMO.
>>
File: vocablmao.jpg (189KB, 1917x902px) Image search: [Google]
vocablmao.jpg
189KB, 1917x902px
>>8936886
>The best thing to do (to improve your proficiency) is to stop every time to search the word; or at least to write it down in a text file, then search for the meaning later.

That's pretty much what I've been doing, but it gets really tedious after a while. I think you're right though, maybe I should focus on shorter works.
>>
Stopping to search every word you don't know is the worst thing you can do.

You're trying to learn how to read in the language, not be a walking dictionary.
Take the book, sit down, and get comfy. Just like when you read a book in your first language, it takes a minute or two to get in the zone and get absorbed in the book. You can't get in the zone if you are putting down the book every time to search a word.

If you literally can't understand what you're reading because of your vocabulary, then what you're reading is too hard for you and you need to find something else. Otherwise you should be able to get most of the meaning from context.
>>
>>8936919
From what I see, yes, you'll be good with short stories (Maupassant...), aphorisms (La Bruyère is the most varied), and short poems (including little prose poems: Baudelaire, Lautréamont...).

Another nice thing to do is to take an English book you know well, and read a French translation.

>side note: "ravir" also means "to abduct" in formal register
>>
>>8936853
I usually just power through. If I don't understand something in the next line and I'm getting lost, or if the word is used again I will look it up.

Ereaders are fucking amazing for reading in foreign languages though, definitions AND translations of words on a tap of the finger
>>
This is more efficient (for english at least) https://www.vocabulary.com/
>>
>>8936853
Only look up what is absolutely necessary. If you look up every word you will just get frustrated and end up reading at a snails pace. I have found it useful to write detailed summaries (in french) every now and again of the most recent chapters I've read just to be sure that I really understand everything.
Careful selection of works can make things easier too. Start with babby stuff like Camus, then work your way up e.g. Maupassant, Zola, Balzac, Voltaire etc. -----------> Céline, Proust, other harder shit much later down the track.
If you start with Proust you will just hate the French language forever.
>>
>>8936886
>Also, consider e-readers with an internal dictionary. You click on the word, the meaning is shown, done.
Fucking this. It's so much more convenient when learning a language.
>>
>read chapter (or ~20 pages) once, looking up shit i don't recognize on wordreference or linguee and compiling it into a word doc or notebook
>if there's no direct english equivalent or it translates into a word you don't recognize, draw it
>reread later

If I'm pressed for time, I don't reread it. If it's an easy enough text and I only have to worry about a few words, I just power through. Sometimes one read suffices for me to understand the mood and series of events in a given chapter. It's also important not to pace yourself as you would in your native language--if you normally read 60 pages per day, set your goal at half of that.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.