[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How do I into poetry?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 2

File: 5Q9A76814.jpg (3MB, 3648x5472px) Image search: [Google]
5Q9A76814.jpg
3MB, 3648x5472px
How do I into poetry?
>>
File: kys.jpg (173KB, 800x1000px) Image search: [Google]
kys.jpg
173KB, 800x1000px
>>8935207
>>
If you have to ask, you'll never know
>>
Read a lot of it and then you will unconsciously start to pick up on stuff you like and develop a taste. Then you will find poets you like. Start with New York School i guess.
>>
Poetry is initially about disposition. If you want the ornate metered stuff, you start with Shakespeare and the Romantics. If you want rugged powerful verse, you go for Whitman and Robert Frost. If you want crazy confessional verse, go for Plath. If you want hysterical revolutionary verse, go for Ginsberg. If you want simpler meter, try Dickinson and Countee Cullen.

After you find the poems you like, you start thinking about why you like them and how the word choice makes you feel. Afterwards, you can read some critical analyses on how other people feel when reading these - but don't take them as Gospel. Once you get enough of reading from pure feeling and you start wanting to understand more abstract poetry, aim for people like Wallace Stevens and other Modernists - where the focus is on disjointed images surrounding ideas. Try out Chinese poetry since their sensibilities weren't driven by narrative. By that point in time you should know how to appreciate poetry.
>>
>>8935207
learn a foreign language and start trying to read and dissect their poetry

that did it for me
>>
>>8935207
Find songs you like, analyze them
Read books you like, analyze them
And then try to find some poetry you might like and just enjoy it. And then analyze it

But first take Twiceboy back to /kpg/
>>
>>8935207
STEP 1: Read some poetry.

STEP 2: Contemplate.

STEP 3: Repeat process.

SIDENOTE: Start with past poets who have been studied by top-tier academics for centuries.

Having experience analyzing the works of past poets will lend to excellent and accurate critique of modern poets.

If you start with modern and move backwards, you'll likely become some sort of hipster-esque bastardization of an intellectual, with no real mental prowess to speak of.
>>
>>8935603
Oh, also, if you read a poem and don't understand it.

Sit on it. Let it ruminate in your mind. Go back and attempt to analyze the symbolism. Don't seek an expert analysis before you've really taken the time to try and unravel it on your own.

If you must resort to an expert's analysis, then try and remember, from then on, the way they cracked that poems meaning and apply it to your future analyses.

This way, your mental muscles get supremely beefy.

If a poem requires no analysis, it probably isn't very good. This isn't an absolute, but, as a general rule, I think it can be stood by.
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.