[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/lit/ feels thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 3

File: nice.jpg (119KB, 322x482px) Image search: [Google]
nice.jpg
119KB, 322x482px
>mfw all i want to do is study Hegel and Analytic philosophy but i slacked off too much in high school to go to a good Uni so I have to major in STEM and feign passion for a field that doesn't give me anywhere near the rush of the former.
anyone wanted to study phil when they were young but chose something lucrative instead? do you want to be an hero?
>>
>get invited to a party
>sit in a dark and quiet corner consuming as much alcohol as you discretely can while mentally jotting down notes on the mating habits of people
>then go home and have a few more drinks from your personal liquor cabinet as you write down those mental notes, before passing out alone
>>
I wish I concentrated more in secondary school and got decent grades. Instead I wasted the days playing computer games and reading books completely irrelevant to the course work.

I left with terrible qualifications and my parents have raised me with a shitty work ethic. I'm doomed to the working classes, and to top it off, I'm short and ugly too, so I wont be rearing a family. This bothers me because it could've been a meaningful distraction for my intellectual short comings. Now I'm petering on in community college trying to get the grades I ignored in school, but universities never accept applicants who did dreadful in their high school/secondary exams. My life right now looks very grim. I think after two more years in further education, I'll end up joining the French Foreign Legion and commiting suicicde in my late 30's when the embarrassment of living with my mother is too much to bear, and the likelyhood of acquiring a wife is too small.

Maybe I'm exaggerating though. Maybe I'll find a woman to inject some form of purpose in my life, but the family unit just isn't the same as it was in the 50's. And I'm not entirely convinced if tradtional gender roles are obsolete form of class opression or if they're under threat by a marxist conspiracy. I have no concrete values. I'm indecisive, and I don't know what to do.
>>
>>8934967
you sound basically the same as me
>>
>>8934967
>but universities never accept applicants who did dreadful in their high school/secondary exams.

This isn't true where I am from, California. You can even get rid of whatever you had going towards your AA and start over if it gets that bad. If you're from America I'd double check on that. Your state's top unis may put a priority on people who come from their own community colleges.
>>
>>8935020
I'm from the UK. I've been told that certain uni's (the worthwhile ones) will disregard your application if you did shit in school. But that's not what really bothers me. I was being a bit maudlin desu. Getting into saint andrews isn't the meaning of life when I think about it.

The more frightning prospect is drifting into a dreary teaching career and >tfw no gf
>>
>>8934768
that was me until i did no fap
>>
>>8934708
I wanted to study philosophy and political science, but I thought I would never be able to make a living, so bought into the STEM meme and studied computational physics and bioengineering.

I am telling myself that I can try to get into bioethics and help make things like genetic engineering more palatable for the public, but I know all I'm going to end up doing is working as some shit lab tech or a fucking code monkey.

Don't make the same mistake I made.
>>
>>8934708

I'm in the same case as >>8935177 , though I went to electrical engineering.
Don't go Engineering, really! It will suck your soul. If you truly need to go STEM, go physics or mathematics, yeah only the TE part gives money but if this is needed you can always go physics and try your luck in technology (it is possible, but the work won't be that good unless you are ivy league)
>>
File: sander - 1.jpg (25KB, 400x497px) Image search: [Google]
sander - 1.jpg
25KB, 400x497px
>>8934708
dude, dude, dude

YOU DO NOT NEED TO GO TO SCHOOL TO STUDY PHILOSOPHY.

All the books are available, all the commentary is available, it's all out there waiting to be read. All you need is focus and self-discipline. To think that you need to go to school in today's world to study philosophy is quite frankly, troubling. I mean really guy. Take it from someone who studied filmmaking and knows a current day bum that majored in phil. It is much better to study something practical so you can support your passions. I can't emphasize this enough.
>>
>>8935218
This can help OP.

Read up on some branches, see what you like, pick up a little Plato related to your favorite branch and then go forward from there.
>>
>>8935198
person you responded to, I studied physics from a top physics university (not Ivy though), and unless it's computer science, no one really gets anything with a plain undergrad in physics. Most of the people who do it either drop, or have a real passion for it and go the PhD route.

I would recommend computer science. Make good money, it's not that hard, and it's pretty fun sometimes. You can even go into the theoretical side of CS if coding isn't your thing. Also, you can pretty much move anywhere in the world, and you'll have enough free time for hobbies.

Anon, why don't you try and use your EE to get into systems programming?
>>
>>8934708
why not just split your classes the first 1-2 years? i.e. dip into both programs. meet the professors, get an idea of the atmosphere, etc.

you might get stuck with an extra year but it's not worth a lifetime of misery
>>
Questions for Physics, CS, and Engineering majors.

Iam 25 and have of a background in coding and digtal marketing, with a bit of project development under my belt, of which, I am hoping an collage degree can improve my credentials, giving me better gigs.

Which STEM would be ideal for the jack-of-all-trades I need to be?
>>
>>8935371
What do you mean by "the jack of all trades I need to be?" it seems like you have your path, unless you're trying to do something else
>>
>>8934708
>Hegel and analytic philosophy

u wot m8
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.