[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Would you ever skip a philosophy introduction? Pic unrealated

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 3

File: IMG_3319.jpg (20KB, 170x227px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3319.jpg
20KB, 170x227px
Would you ever skip a philosophy introduction?

Pic unrealated
>>
>>8933326
All prefaces atleast could be skipped but Hegel's
>>
Yes.
>>8933368
Even then.

I despise non-author written introductions of all sorts. Only exception I've made is for Gaddis's The Recognitions, since that one was written by Gass.
>>
>>8933326
You should read philosophy, but never under any circumstances ever take a class in it.
>>
No fucking way, to really understand an author's work you have to study their historical and personal context beforehand.
>>
>>8933368
why is hegel special
>>
>>8933427
Why not? I was thinking about taking a philosophy course even though it's not really related to my major. I only want to take it because I'm interested.
>>
File: kafkaesque.jpg (71KB, 960x615px) Image search: [Google]
kafkaesque.jpg
71KB, 960x615px
>>8933481
>Look at me guys, I get Kafka!
You don't.
>>
>>8933513
Just buy the books by the authors you want to read then. Having some fucking weirdo nobody telling you what shit means is bullshit. Just read what you want and form your own ideas about it. Seriously don't waste time with any courses like that. I regret taking even the single philosophy course that I did.
>>
SKIP ALL INTRODUCTIONS.

There are many philosophy books with introductions which do not understand the text at all. Do not read anything besides what the author himself wrote.
>>
>>8933522
Seconding this.
Not only is it better to get your own interpretation, but often enough the people who do introductions fuck up.
I went through that with Pessoa's Book of Disquiet and the introduction in it. Protip: The fragment about how stuff he feels he has just learned he has really known about for a long time is the SINGLE MOST IMPORTANT TO GET. Desu.
>>
>>8933529
what about Cambridge Companions a d similar books?
>>
>>8933326
Yeah and I do.
>>
>>8933513
>>8933522
>>8933537
Strongly disagree. If you have someone decent teaching your class, it can be very helpful to have someone else's hand in your education. There are many philosophers I would never have touched that I was forced to read. It wasn't a particularly enjoyable experience, but it forced me to "eat my veggies" so to speak and my thought is a lot better for it. It has sometimes also turned me on to thinkers that I actually do enjoy.

But yeah, there is the possibility you get some banal motherfucker where you don't learn anything and it is boring. Just read the professor reviews and try to choose wisely.
>>
File: Halperin 6.png (67KB, 164x176px) Image search: [Google]
Halperin 6.png
67KB, 164x176px
>>8933522
>I can understand complex texts better than people whose job it is to do so
>>
>>8933669
I'm not arguing that. I just think it would be a better idea to read what you want to and draw your own conclusions solo.
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.