[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What is the best book about mental health?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 3

File: 1483193899693s.jpg (2KB, 86x125px) Image search: [Google]
1483193899693s.jpg
2KB, 86x125px
What is the best book about mental health?
>>
>>8932313
Probably not your diary. Though, it would likely make a great case study.
>>
>>8932313
The Bible or Discipline and Punishment, depending on your feels
>>
>>8932313
my suicide note desu senpai
>>
>>8932313
Fr. Chad Ripperger

The Science of Mental Health.
>>
The Politics of Experience and the Bird of Paradise
>>
>>8932323

anon?
Anon?
ANON?!
ANONNNN
ANNNOONNNNNNNNN
NOOO GOD WHHHYYYYYYYYY
WHHHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY
OH GOD SOMEONE HELP ANON
WWWHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY OH GOD WHHHHHHHHHHYYYYYYYYYYYYY
ANNNOOOONNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN
>>
>silver linings playbook
>>
File: 9780890425541.jpg (23KB, 344x500px) Image search: [Google]
9780890425541.jpg
23KB, 344x500px
>>8932313
>>
File: 13932.jpg (30KB, 305x475px) Image search: [Google]
13932.jpg
30KB, 305x475px
Specifically for depression this is probably the best thing I've read on it. An accessible and comprehensive overview of the science, history, and sociology behind depression, while retelling many real life stories about depressives. Gives some hope without being too saccharine.

Also it's got praises from Harold Bloom who lends a blurb for the book.
>>
Capitalism and Schizophrenia
>>
>>8932321
this, Bible hands down
>>
I was surprised by how well Anna Karenina handled mental health issues. All of the feelings of torment felt by Anna, Levin, and Vronsky are probably more seated in mental illness than in guilt about religion or general seriousness.

And Anna's death at the end is a great portrait of suicide in general: "'No, I won't let you torment me,' she thought, addressing her threat not to him [Vronsky], not to herself, but to the one who made her suffer ... ."
>>
>>8932684
Should I read the DSM before getting into a 6 year psychology degree?
>>
Better question: why isn't mental health taken seriously in America and whenever you tell someone something "triggers" you you're told to "get over it?"

I have misophonia and I legitimately cannot stand hearing someone else's television when I am doing something (among other things). Every time I am actually asked to talk about this by friends I am asked why I can't just get over it. It's extremely aggravating. Another favourite is, "you just want to be annoyed!"
>>
>>8932883
Normal people are literally unable to empathize with people who have a mental illness, of any kind. They cannot understand that it is possible for a person to be unable to control their feelings or thoughts. They have no reference point. It is completely outside their realm of experiences, such that many people don't even believe that mental illness exists.
>>
>>8932313
The Myth of Mental Illness by Thomas Szasz, or just about anything else by Szasz
>>
>>8933018

So how do we fix that?
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.