[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

city of god by st augustine

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2

File: IMG_0362.jpg (1MB, 1472x2290px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0362.jpg
1MB, 1472x2290px
this book is massive. who here has read it? is it any good?
>>
not as massive as my dick desu
>>
>>8930767

read Confessions first
>>
>>8930808
shut up
>>
File: IMAG0334.jpg (3MB, 1520x2688px) Image search: [Google]
IMAG0334.jpg
3MB, 1520x2688px
>>8930767
It is pretty thicc, but it's very good. I can't speak of its philosophic or theological importance, but it's actually pretty entertaining (I read a good chunk of it when I was stranded in the middle of nowhere for two weeks).

That being said, >>8930808 is probably right.
>>
The movie is better.
>>
>>8930767
I read the paulo lins version. really loved it.
>>
>>8930767
is it hard, or just long?

>>8930802
ditto
>>
Undergrad studying philosophy, I've read basically every major canonical political philosophy text (>30)

Do not read the whole thing. Read the sparknotes and pick the parts you want to read. Or find some other summary and then focus on what you want to read. It is a massive response to his contemporaries and you do not need to read the whole thing, much is totally irrelevant unless doing very technical philosophy
>>
>>8932625
this is bait isnt it? i refuse to believe someone is this delusional and retarded
>>
>>8930808
Doing this now having finally made it out of Aristotle's purgatory. Confessions is a pretty easy read -- city of god is doorstop.
>>
>>8932625
>undergrad
>>8932840
>skipping the neoplatonists
>>
>>8932639
"This is bait" is not an argument. Tell me why i'm wrong. No one says this is a masterpiece of writing, and the entire work is not important if you're not a Christian.

>>8932878
>>undergrad
>implying those writing undergrad theses have nothing to say about philosophy
>>
>>8932878
What's the impact of proclus and Plotinus on contemporary thought? Is it useful just for understanding mysticism and metaphysics or something more?
>>
>>8932944
i am >>8932943

as much of philosophy is a response to aristotle and everyone thought plotinus was aristotle for quite some time, much of the west is in serious conversation with plotinus thinking he is aristotle

med/ancient thought is important for the contemporaries but you can still understand a lot of thought after Descartes without seeing what he's responding to because he tried to reboot philosophy
>>
>>8932944
>What's the impact of proclus and Plotinus on contemporary thought?
Aside from the huge influence of Neoplatonism on Christianity, Islam, and Jewish thought? Augustine and other thinkers practicaly lift directly from Plotinus. And Proclus also influenced Spinoza.
>Is it useful just for understanding mysticism and metaphysics or something more?
Hermeticism, alchemy, occultism, paganism, etc. as well. Not to mention, it'll help you understand Plato and Aristotle better.
>>
>>8932943
>read 30 texts
>thinks he's read all the major canonical texts
>thinks his undergrad thesis has any merit

shiggy diggy
>>
>>8932944

Proclus and Plotinus are both obscure hacks.That's all you need to know
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.