[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Does /lit/ fuck with any of the new release literature?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2

I have heard god things about Swing Time, Moonglow, and The Underground Railroad. Anyone read these?
>>
>>8930123
Zadie is on my reading list but I have yet to get there.
this thread is going to go to shit btw
>>
>>8930135
I'm almost through White Teeth. Getting to new lit is a long process when my queue is already so long.
>>
File: 1473027236881.gif (3MB, 640x266px) Image search: [Google]
1473027236881.gif
3MB, 640x266px
>>8930123
> female authors
>>
>>8930151
What do you think of white teeth? that's what I was considering picking up.
>>
I heard The Underground Railroad isn't very good at all, really. Very shallow characters
>>
>>8930181
Without knowing how it ends (because there's a chance it'll tie up a lot of my frustrations):

It feels too long. The book isn't difficult, but a good number of sections make it pretty obvious that it's an author's first try at writing a novel. Her characteristic prose is there, though, and there's at least an equal number of parts that are brilliant and have made me laugh out loud.

I'm excited to see how her writing progresses into later books, and feel like White Teeth was the best place to start and see it develop. I'm definitely not mad about reading it, it's just taken me longer than I wanted.
>>
>>8930173
back to /pol/ you loser
>>
>>8930189
>Highly lauded book by black author not very good.
Surely this is the first time something like this has happened.

Anyone read Moonglow? I like some of Chabon's stuff and this seems like a welcome return to semi-realism.
>>
>>8930189
shallow characters is the weakest criticism of literature, are her ideas good or not? i don't give a shit about the characters, they're fucking made up, who gives a shit!
>>
>>8930231
Not really. Shallow characters only work if the story/subject matter is 10/10 or if they're used purely to represent a concept/idea. An example is The Brothers Karamazov.

When the characters suck it's hard to feel any attachment to them and the book becomes really boring to read.
>>
>>8930283
>Shallow characters only work if the story/subject matter is 10/10
Fuck off pleb. Or stop reading for plot or character.
>>
>>8930123
> contemporary british anything

TRASH

reminder that shakespeare was irish catholic
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.