[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Just finished this. Can anybody please tell me what the fuck

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1

File: theidiot.jpg (7KB, 150x235px) Image search: [Google]
theidiot.jpg
7KB, 150x235px
Just finished this. Can anybody please tell me what the fuck is wrong with the women is any of Dostoevsky's stories? Is their caprice reasonable and I'm just a fucking retard? It made for an unpleasant reading experience due to how unrealistic the women seem.
>>
Nastasya and Aglaya were pretty fucked up. Neither of them was a decent candidate for marriage and they both deserved their fates.
>>
>>8929649
Just like his male characters they live their "philosophy" to the extreme and act according to it, even if it is disastrous to themselves and everyone else.
For nastaysa fillipovna it's the contradiction between her essential innocence and her (and others) belief that she is irredeemably morally corrupt.
Aglaya is just a pretty realistic girl.
>>
>>8929718
Upon some reflection, I see that you're right about Aglaya being a believable character. The way she was portrayed however had her alternating between a state of rage or juvenile love seemingly every scene though, which I suppose made me think lesser of her character design. Also I'd argue against the point of her "essential innocence", as to the extent she's embraced her baseness it may as well be her defining characteristic, no matter what her ground state is.
>>
>>8929769
Nastasya's essential innocence ***
Just because the prince pitied her and how she torments herself, I have no reason to believe she was anything more than she demonstrated.
>>
>>8929775
If she was purely base she would have immediately gone with Rogozhin.
The Prince and Rogozhin represented the two sides of her personality.
In a sense I agree with you. That sense being that nastaysa fillipovna also belives she is not innocent at all.
I think she had a few, albeit short lived, moments when she seriously considered choosing the Prince and pictured herself redeemed.
>>
>>8929769
Aglaya's states of rage are not always genuine.

Both you and that other poster are right. Nastasya acted out because she, reinforced by the beliefs of others, thought herself a bad person, and so she did bad acts to fulfill that view of her, and in order to be punished as a result. There's a reason why early on in the book—I believe it is when Rogozhin first offers to buy her at Ganya's place—Myshkin tells her that he doesn't believe she's really this way, and she apologizes to him and Ganya's mother, saying that he's correct. She wavers between going with the Prince, who she can't go with because the belief that she is morally corrupt (and would thereby corrupt the otherwordly, idealistic Prince, and would also become happy herself!) is always contested by her innocence.
>>
>>8929649
All characters have to be capricious in a love triangle.
Not all his women are though. Sonya, is anything but.
>>
>>8929649
Like all Dostoevsky characters, their personality is exaggerated.
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.