[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is the bible interesting from a literary point of view? Or is

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1

File: tumblr_m0zei13jEs1qbo39mo1_1280.jpg (242KB, 640x427px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_m0zei13jEs1qbo39mo1_1280.jpg
242KB, 640x427px
Is the bible interesting from a literary point of view? Or is it nothing more than a compilation of hebrew fables that could only interest people who believe in it?
Is it worth reading?
>>
Some of the character archetypes, conflicts, and themes in the Bible are used persistently throughout European literature. You've got to figure there's some enduring value there. If nothing else, it's valuable to read as source material for what you'll undoubtedly be reading elsewhere.

I'm a non-Christian and I still find a lot of Biblical narrative and poetry extremely evocative.
>>
>>8929139
Short answer: Yes.

Long answer: The Bible is a foundation text for Western civilization and you're going to see references to it all over the place, even in works by non-Christians. Knowing what's in the text will be a great help to understanding these references. In addition, many parts of the Bible have stories or poems that are worth reading by themselves.

However, it is a very long book, and many portions of it are concerned with genealogies, ritual laws, lengthy allegorical prophecies, or other such matter which can make for dull reading. Here are the parts that are the most worthwhile as literature

Genesis, Exodus (up until the ten commandments, then it's Jewish legal minutiae), 1 and 2 Samuel (for the story of King David), Job, Psalms, Ecclesiastes, Song of Songs, Isaiah, Jonah, All the Gospels, Acts. Romans, Revelation

As for versions, the King James Bible has a reputation of being the 'ultimate' from a literary perspective, but lots of people have their own favourite. If you want something with lots of notes, get the Oxford Study Bible
>>
>>8929139
I find it interesting for literature mostly because of the amount of commentary it has spawned. I'd recommend Karl Barth's "Epistle to the Romans," which I knocked out last month, if nothing else.
>>
>>8929207
When does it start gaining relevance in the western world? Currently reading ancient greek literature so it's unnecessary to read it right now but I'm planning to move on to roman literature this year and I'm not sure when I should get to reading it.
>>
>>8931257
After Constantine converts pretty much. So around 300 AD.
>>
>>8929207

Don't forget Paul. In terms of literary value 1 Corinthians is vastly more influential than the rest of the New Testament
>>
>>8931265

>than the rest of the New Testament

should be

>than most of the New Testament

my bad
>>
Read the Book of Job (King James)
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.