[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Amusing our selfs to death

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1

It appears that Huxley envision of the world has became to be more correct than Orwell. He feared "that what we love will ruin us" , referring to a distraction filled society, where we are more worried about celebrity gossip than whats actually happening in the world. Such a trivial and preocupied culutre woudlnt care for whats happening out side they safe little bubble even though all th einfortmation is truely right in from of them, the truth is simply drowned in a sea of pure irrelevance.

Thoughts? who's envision of society is most accurate for what we currently live in, Huxley or Orwell?

pic related; amusing ourselves to death by stuart McMillan , 2009
>>
i don't think orwell was trying to predict the future, i think he was satirising what was already happening in the soviet union at the time
>>
i swear to fucking god i've read this exact amazing post with the same insightful reply at least twice a year since 2010
>>
>>8927622
Why does it matter? A vast majority of people in all time periods were simply the stupid, passive herd. Only a few great men in each generation rise to become greater than mediocrity.

The same "egoism" your post talks about is the same one that makes people think that everyone can make a difference, but that's not true. What harm is it if the masses can have their bread and circus?
>>
>>8927633
this.

Obviously Huxley's more accurate, 1984 was satire (and if it wasn't, Orwell should stick to satire, it's all he's good at).

Oh and by the by, that "amazing post" sounds a lot like OP read a summary or something and not the actual book. Huxley predicted indulgence in pleasure and obsession with science and efficiency, to be much more exact.

And yes that is happening. On the london subway there's countless adverts about "taking a simple pill to resolve tiredness", and they've basically got the feelies now (3D Dbox cinema at the O2). And you only need to browse reddit to see people's obsession with science.
>>
>>8927664
You didn't get the point of BNW if you think it was about bread and circus. The leaders didn't want to keep the people stupid. They genuinely believed that attainment of cheap pleasure is the highest possible goal in life.
>>
>>8927689
Most people in history haven't had high goals in life. Of course pleasure has destroyed the masses but the world doesn't revolve around them in the first place.

yes I am aware that I sound like a massive fedora
>>
>>8927736
Leading a good family life with common virtues is also a noble goal, one that many people throughout history attained.
Brave New World presents a world without family, religion, or value beyond simple pleasure. It is nothing like the history we've seen before it.
>>
Humor has killed public discourse for good, that's for sure.
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.