[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/Lit/ is a nutshell.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2

File: Shit book.jpg (29KB, 323x499px) Image search: [Google]
Shit book.jpg
29KB, 323x499px
Thinking you have accomplished something great by reading this overrated meme book.
>>
>>8927016
Pretending that all of /lit/ likes or has even read IJ is more of a meme than IJ itself is at this point.
>>
>>8927016

Could not have missed the mark any farther than you have already.
>>
i read the first 200 pages. didnt read the endnotess

i just cant get into it enough to justify going on for another 500 pages. i like the DFWs essays but as with most books i just feel like i get the point after a couple 100 pages.
>>
>>8927016
>he doesn't know IJ is a meme we shill to crossposters
>>
>>8927166
You do not get the point and are living a life in opposition to one of the main points based on this post.
200 pages in you have a bunch of loosely connected vignettes and many of the most important characters have yet to be introduced. You know virtually nothing about the most important storyline at that point.
>>
>>8927641
I read 300 pages (and the end-notes) and lost interest. I enjoyed some parts, I just don't feel like slogging through the rest. I think it's the end-notes that really turned me off the book, I don't like the flow of it.
>>
File: hesayshereadsdavidfosterwallace.png (394KB, 661x622px) Image search: [Google]
hesayshereadsdavidfosterwallace.png
394KB, 661x622px
>>8927016
>>
>>8927823
Hard to believe someone would put their name under that.
>>
>>8927861
almost too unbelievable
>>
2017 is the meme trilogy year for me
Already 60% through Gravitys Rainbow and enjoying it
Going to read some light books before Attempting IJ
Ill probably be the only person who ever read all three on this board, or even one for that matter desu
>>
>>8927641
>You do not get the point and are living a life in opposition to one of the main points based on this post.
sincere dedication vs jumping from one thing to another?

it just felt like a big wonky postmodern YA doorstopper with a shoehorned spiritual message sewn into it. DFW was bright, was a very intelligent dude, sensitive, great observational skills, hence the dope essays, but there was something at the core of being a healthy, sane human that he hadn't figured out at all, hence the sudoku. so i'm somewhat reluctant to take what's basically glorified life advice by a guy who offed himself.

i know you could make a point that he was just depressed because his brain wiring was messed up and it has nothing to do with his person but i dont believe it.

if an author wants me to read his >700 page novel he better not have me jump hoops like the fucking endnotes just to make a point he doesn't have the heart to believe in himself
>>
>>8927823
she was a racist, but didn't know it
head filled with shit from po-mo academics
drunk on ideology she didn't get irony
Marx was a whitey
>>
>>8927016
Gravity's Rainbow is memed way more here than IJ
>>
>>8930105
Yeah, because it's fun to read the Pynch and feel like you've got mild ADD after being pleasantly concussed with a brick while flying through neural-space on acid, ketamine and amphets all at once.
>>
I read it when it came out and I found it fun.

It really isn't a difficult book to read, I don't really understand why it has this reputation on /lit/. Then again, I have always read a lot and its not about tick lists. Anyone with any feel for late 20th century literary fiction shouldn't have a problem.

The absence of a linear plot the first time through might be a problem but you are repeatedly told a dozen times not to worry about it (everything is anular this, non-confluential that, its not exactly subtle).
>>
>>8927016
Thinking you have accomplished something great by having a certain skin color.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.