[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

History

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 5

File: David_Irving_1.jpg (322KB, 800x1069px) Image search: [Google]
David_Irving_1.jpg
322KB, 800x1069px
What history books are you reading recently?

I'm reading David Irving's book Hitler's War.

It's really engrossing. Blows through all the usual History Channel myths and suppositions about the German side of the war because of how incredible Irving's primary sources are. Just when you have a certain expectation of what the Germans intended, expected, or thought about their enemy, it's proved that they wanted the exact opposite, like a swift end to the war or only the vague idea of victory.

Incredible book, Irving's industry as a researcher blows me away.
>>
File: ccd[3].png (456KB, 600x966px) Image search: [Google]
ccd[3].png
456KB, 600x966px
>>8924837
David Irving is one of my heroes. He's fucking based. Goes against political correctness like me.
>>
Some stuff about our civil war.
>>
>>8924837

I feel kind of bad for him. Yeah he's a horrible evil man I guess but he shouldn't be persecuted for his beliefs. He's a harmless crank. Other scholars and academics have said worse and come away completely unscathed.

Maybe I'm just "spooked" but it feels wrong to hound people so thoroughly for daring to have the wrong opinions on history, especially because we live in countries that pride themselves on "freedom of expression."
>>
>>8924848

This. He's just a crank, and not even horrible or evil - and no one would care about him if he wasn't being constantly assaulted and silenced.
>>
File: bluepill-17661[1].jpg (5KB, 236x182px) Image search: [Google]
bluepill-17661[1].jpg
5KB, 236x182px
>>8924848
>he's a horrible evil man

When did you take this pill instead of seeing the objective truth?
>>
>>8924848
I agree. I always felt bad for Irving, from what I read about him.

I feel like it's exactly guys like Irving who end up correcting your own biases in surprising ways. Like by leaning enough in the direction opposite to you that it makes you thoroughly explore all possible ground between the two of you, in order to figure out EXACTLY where the truth really is.

In any event, Hitler's War is actually good scholarship. Probably considered mildly biased or credulous, but still mainstream.
>>
>>8924855

>history
>objective truth
>>
>>8924837
>Blows through all the usual History Channel myths and suppositions
Like what? Share a few things, anon.

The last history book I read was one about the life of Vasco da Gama. Can't remember the name or author but it was well written and exciting for the layman. The seafaring bits were especially interesting for me, not having but the vaguest, romanticized idea about how that went. It turns out it was very dangerous, disgusting work and dying of scurvy is just about one of the worst ways to go that God designed for those who feel like meeting him before their time (also for those who feel like having teeth is a nuisance). The bits about the interactions of the first Portuguese explorers and the Indian natives are written like an adventure novel. I can't comment on the accuracy but it's an entertaining read so, if you're not the sort of guy who thinks that's a bad thing, you might enjoy this.
>>
Any good books on the history of history?
>>
File: 1408088944207.gif (421KB, 700x525px) Image search: [Google]
1408088944207.gif
421KB, 700x525px
>>8924855

I had a HUGE mostly unrequited crush on this Jewish girl in college, and once you go Chosen you never go back ;)

>>8924858

Isn't that the whole point of free speech? If our thoughts and opinions are correct we should be able to win in an open debate. Suppressing people we disagree with is admitting defeat. I think we're making all the same mistakes all over again, it's like we didn't learn anything from the past 117 years.
>>
>>8924837
>David Irving
Hahahahahahahahahahahahhahaahhahahahhahahahahahahah! Oh, op.. ahahhahahahahahaahah! Oh god, thought I had stopped laughing half way through that.

His older works were great but they progressively deteriorated, until he became a Leuchter hack.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.