[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is this good or have I been memed yet again?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2

File: image.jpg (39KB, 310x475px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
39KB, 310x475px
Is this good or have I been memed yet again?
>>
Novel ideafor you mate, read it and find out.
>>
>>8921111
i read My work is not yet done and it was pretty bad. actually i think i just read the first one and then returned it to the library. i was disappointed because i had heard of him several years ago and "nihilist horror" is something i would love. i'll try reading something else
>>
It's two books reprinted as one. They're both pretty good horror collections. Very understated horror, though, more about building a sense of dread than shocking the reader. Think Robert Aickman, if Aickman decided he wanted to write more like Nabokov or Bruno Schulz.

>>8921163
MWINYD is an odd one in his body of work. I think Ligotti said in some interview that it was originally an idea he had for a movie script, and he figured that a more grounded and realistic story would have better chances at getting produced. Instead of a script he ended up writing it as a short novel. It's really not his best work, though it has some really good bits in it.

Either way, Ligotti is kinda hard to get into. The horror in his story doesn't jump at you so much as it lingers in the back of your head.

If you feel like giving him another chance, get the book OP posted and skip straight to the story "Dr. Voke and Mr. Veech." Or get Teatro Grotteco and start with whichever story you think has the most appealing title.
>>
>>8921503

Dr. Voke and Mr. Veech really messed with me for a while
>>
>not going straight to conspiracy

take the real red pill
>>
>>8921111
i would never read a book with a shitty cover like that desu
>>
>>8921539
That's the black pill
>>
>>8921539
>>8922331
It's the "babby's first existential crisis" pill
>>
File: Cs9F6f8UIAEm0sG.jpg large.jpg (290KB, 1241x2047px) Image search: [Google]
Cs9F6f8UIAEm0sG.jpg large.jpg
290KB, 1241x2047px
>>8921656
>implying a bad cover is the author's fault

>>8921163
>>8921503
I quite liked MWINYD personally, albeit I can see why you might not. It sort of prefigures Our Temporary Supervisor, which was better
>>
>>8922404
reddit
>>
>>8921111
It's good. Most of the stories are original and dissimilar. But they all have his weird writing style so if that alone is a dealbreaker you won't like it.

Tatro Grottesco is also a good one from him.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.