[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Merchant of Venice

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 4

File: P-EN09-1317704.jpg (78KB, 405x650px) Image search: [Google]
P-EN09-1317704.jpg
78KB, 405x650px
I've been reading most of Shakespeare's work from a set of books I found at a library but some of them I can't get around the old English. I really want to read the Merchant of Venice in plain English but it costs on No Sweat Shakespeare does anyone know if/where I can get it for free?
>>
literally sparknotes literally free online literally transliterates the Modern English into Even Moderner English for dummies that don't know how to read and comprehend (not the same thing as 'understand') their own language
>>
http://nfs.sparknotes.com/merchant/page_2.html

ANTONIO
In sooth, I know not why I am so sad.
It wearies me; you say it wearies you.
But how I caught it, found it, or came by it,
What stuff ’tis made of, whereof it is born,
I am to learn.
And such a want-wit sadness makes of me,
That I have much ado to know myself.

BECOMES

ANTONIO
To be honest, I don’t know why I’m so sad. I’m tired of it, and you say you’re tired of it too. But I have no idea how I got so depressed. And if I can’t figure out what’s making me depressed, I must not understand myself very well.

By the by, he's so sad because he's in love with his friend Bassanio, soon to be married, who cannot requite that love for fucking obvious fucking reasons.
>>
>>8919699

TO. BE. HONEST. WITH. YOU. FAMILIA.
>>
>>8919693
I already read it and the post below gave a shitty example. I comprehend most of it just certain parts I couldn't without reading over twice you fucking twit. Either way thanks for the info bitchboy. Have a nice life on 4chan all of you are useless pains in the asses except for /fit/ or the select few who aren't dickheads
>>
>>8919727

ill fuckin rek u dyel cunt
>>
>>8919685
>I've been reading most of Shakespeare's work
ISHYGDDT
There are film versions of all of his plays available online, often legally free through shit like the PBS website or your local equivalent. These scripts were meant to be seen performed. Also the dialogue is often easier to understand when you hear it spoken than it is read, because the actors' performances convey as much information about what's going on as the words themselves.
>>
File: Lel.gif (29KB, 482x800px) Image search: [Google]
Lel.gif
29KB, 482x800px
>>8919685

>I can't get around the old English.

You're obviously American.

To any non-retarded Brit, Shakespearean English is practically second nature.

We can even read Chaucer with relative ease.
>>
File: 1483323822193.png (13KB, 241x263px) Image search: [Google]
1483323822193.png
13KB, 241x263px
>>8919685
>I can't get around the old English
>>
>>8919699
He's saying his sadness makes him such a fool that he doesn't even understand himself anymore. That's different from the last sentence of the "translation".
Shakespeare's language use is the best part about him, if you can't keep up then maybe Shakespeare's not for you.
>>
>>8920256
>Chaucer
>with relative ease
>literally "if dyslexia could write"

Also, as a Brit, it's likely because we're fed Shakespeare the moment our balls drop. But Yanks are culturally retarded at times.
>>
File: 19532_2.jpg (29KB, 300x419px) Image search: [Google]
19532_2.jpg
29KB, 300x419px
>>8919685
Watch the movie. Pacino as Shylocke is bretty gud.
>>
>falling for this obvious a troll
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.