[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How important is it to know an authors life if you're reading

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1

File: o-CHARLES-BAUDELAIRE-facebook.jpg (171KB, 1536x2055px) Image search: [Google]
o-CHARLES-BAUDELAIRE-facebook.jpg
171KB, 1536x2055px
How important is it to know an authors life if you're reading his book? Randomly decided to check up on his life and it really puts things in a new perspective. Heard it's pretty much mandatory if you want to read Kafka, too. Do you check up on your authors?
>>
I do not know the way I should interpret your post, OP.
Perhaps you could tell me a bit about your life so I can obtain the perspective that is necessary to come to a harmonic understanding.
>>
>>8916400
1995: Birth
1995-2000: Moving from country to country in Asia until ending up in Germany
2000-2015: Hell desu
2015-Now: Mentally unstable, virgin NEET
>>
>>8916377
It depends on the author. If it's someone puddle deep like Franzen it doesn't matter but with anyone who writes anything more than slightly complex it helps.
>>
Technically, you shouldn't have to know anything about the author. It is useful, yes, but not necessary. You can clearly see that, for example, Kafka had problems with authority figures while you're reading The Trial. Knowing about his relationship with his father only confirms what you've read.
I don't actively seek out and read about a writer before reading their works, but I won't mind a short bio from the book I'm reading.

A personal anecdote - while I was reading a collection of Yesenin's poems, I came across one of his "Persian motifs" (specifically, "Boздyх пpoзpaчный и cиний") and I was simply baffled. I had to reread the poem at least three times to digest it. The reason is my stereotypization of Yesenin. I was familiar with his life and previous poetry, and expected more of his stuff about alcoholism, whores and depression, not some abstract and sincere description of love with a bunch of exotic motifs. Had I not have known it was Yesenin, I wouldn't have applied my simplified image of his personality to the poem and would've understood it more quickly and easily.
>>
I think it's best to leave it until afterwards. If it sheds a different light on things, fine, but I think it's more harmful than helpful to always be on the lookout for any autobiographical relevance on a first reading.
>>
>>8916569
You should generally be able to understand a text without it, but it can be interesting as a supplement if you really want to dig deep into why someone wrote something the way they did.
Thread posts: 7
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.