[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Creative Writing Major?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 4

File: man-writing-memoir-class.jpg (53KB, 730x487px) Image search: [Google]
man-writing-memoir-class.jpg
53KB, 730x487px
I am about to commit to being a creative writing major, hopefully I didn't screw up in making this decision
>>
>>8911935
Go for it, anon.

Wish you luck!
>>
This might sound stupid, but what does a creative writing major actually do? Can anyone explain what they had to do when they did one/are doing one?
>>
>>8911954
Thanks, writing is a passion of mine so this was pretty much one of my few options hope things go well
>>
bump for creative writing
>>
>>8911935
Become a lawyer? Can you tolerate 3 extra years of school
>>
>>8911935
>>8911962
Serious question: What do you think you have to say?
>>
>>8912441
i have very much to say about the nothingness of things to say
>>
>>8911960
They write short to long texts. They do nothing worthwhiles, unless they're writing a memoire or something like that.
>>
>workshopping your work in class

Does this ever actually help your work? Is it ever not a torture chamber of neuroticism and envy and low self-esteem? I don't see the point personally; seems like it can only inhibit your natural style.
>>
>>8912444
I hope so, because if you talk to working writers, especially fiction writers, this is the one question that they never doubted. They knew, and from early on, exactly what they wanted to talk (write) about. If there is a primary reason why programs like Iowa have become pablum factories, it's because they have been over-run by production-line minds who think the world needs another meditation on American Twenty-Something Problems or another tragic love story, or another Great American Novel (TM). The MFA at this point most often stands for Mostly Fucking Anodyne. The training, which is often good, and can be great, requires as much balls as brains to escape mediocrity.
>>
>>8912473
If you think of it as a focus group on what will sell, and ignore the substance of what you are told by "peers" and simply check one of two boxes marked "liked" and "didn't like," then yeah, it can help.
>>
double major in something
>>
>>8912519
I'll think about it anon, if I am even decent at anything, probably will also major in English if anything
>>
>>8912748
major in philosophy
>>
>>8911935
You're wasting your money
>>
>>8911935
creativity isn't taught
>>
>>8912816
This. Then maybe you'll actually have something to talk about.
>>
You did

http://www.cosmoetica.com/d4-bs1.htm
>>
Please don't waste your chance to be a marketable human being. Switch your major to technical writing please. Having access to a steady, 40 hours a week, no manual labor job will give you so much more mental space to develop your writing after college.

If you're serious about being a writer, you can always play the MFA game. Also, if your school has a creative writing program, you can still involve yourself with that somewhat by going to readings and networking with people. The point is that an English major actually doesn't have to be useless.

This is coming from someone who majored in Creative Writing, went on to do teaching stuff, dropped out of that (because fuck working 60 hours a week and trying to write), and is now really wishing that I had that Technical Writing background.

Besides, undergrad Creative Writing workshops are iffy at best. Lots of people in those have no serious interest in writing
>>
>>8911935
only if u wanna pander to other people with CW degrees
>>
File: The Art of Storytelling.jpg (14KB, 195x254px) Image search: [Google]
The Art of Storytelling.jpg
14KB, 195x254px
The Art of Storytelling

youtu.be/ccUn-ZoffrY

thegreatcourses.com/courses/the-art-of-storytelling-from-parents-to-professionals.html

Dr. Hannah B. Harvey is an award-winning professor, an internationally recognized performer, and a nationally known professional storyteller.

There are many reasons we relate and respond to stories

Professor Harvey calls the act of creating a story performance an “alchemical process” that involves an interconnected cycle of talking, writing, imaging, playing, and rehearsing
>>
File: narratology.jpg (312KB, 2013x764px) Image search: [Google]
narratology.jpg
312KB, 2013x764px
Study Narratology

Narratology
web.archive.org/web/20130127144732/http://www.narratology.info/narratology/

Narratology is the study of the forms, structures, media, functions, and evolution of narrative, with a special emphasis on Story.

On one end of the narrative spectrum lies a mere representational sequence of events that may or may not have a beginning, middle, and end (an Arc). At the opposite end lies Story, with an Arc, an indivisible and universal structural pattern called a Narreme, and meaning over and beyond the mere representational (a Theme).

Story = Arc+Narreme+Theme

General Introduction to Narratology
cla.purdue.edu/english/theory/narratology/modules/introduction.html

NARRATOLOGY EXAMINES THE WAYS that narrative structures our perception of both cultural artifacts and the world around us. The study of narrative is particularly important since our ordering of time and space in narrative forms constitutes one of the primary ways we construct meaning in general.

Notes on Narratology

web.archive.org/web/20120309141415/http://www.units.muohio.edu/technologyandhumanities/narratology.htm
>>
File: Prof Hannah Harvey.jpg (59KB, 300x400px) Image search: [Google]
Prof Hannah Harvey.jpg
59KB, 300x400px
Why People Need Stories | The Great Courses

youtu.be/f8I2V7vL4v0
>>
>>8912816
Took philosophy back in HS, rather not return to that as a major
>>8914662
I know anon, just want to write since that is one of my few skills and things I love to do
>>8915210
My mom is a teacher, rather avoid teaching at any level at all costs, at least for now...I shall consider your advice
>>8915410
>>8915415
>>8915421
I guess I have some studying to do, thanks anon
Thread posts: 25
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.