[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

The Idiot by Dostoevsky

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 2

I'm a little new to the Russian Classics.
Maybe it's because the book takes place in 1800s Aristocratic Russian society, but I'm having a difficult time relating to these characters.

I know (from reading the introduction) Prince Myskin is suppose to be a Christ like character, full of love, compassion, and innocents, but this isn't all that I gather from him.

Keep in mind I'm on page 337 out of 556. So, I've yet to finish it, I plan on finishing the rest in the nest 2 days.

The Prince seems very innocent. Thus far, the only section of the book that gave me any impression that he was of saint-like or Christ like qualities was that of Marie and how he “corrupted the youth” into treating her with love, compassion, and dignity. Indeed, this corrupting of the youth was no doubt a node to Socrates and his trail.

However, when it comes to the world of women, relationships, and marriage, The Prince seems more of a child infatuated with beauty than any truer understanding of love. It is a young love, and love that is hopeful, blind, and full of energy, but deprived of any full thought or discourse. Indeed, this is where I see The Prince as a relatable young fool madly falling in love with a women he knows very little of. Surely, men of this age have all been struck in this way, only to find later in life how blinded we truly are to our own ambitious lower desires. Infatuation seems to be where the Prince resides when it comes to his love interests, reflecting the inexperience and ill window of youth.

That being said, it's interesting to see how the aristocratic society interacts with him.

I'm hoping the last 200 pages are a real gem, because at the moment, I'm dragging myself through the pages.
>>
>>8911566
What translation are you reading? Pic related?
>>
>>8911570
The Introduction I read was by Joseph Frank
The Translation I'm reading is by Constance Garnett.

Also for those interested, I took the liberty of finding the audio book for my translation and have proceeded to post the video times for each chapter in the comments below. You can find the link here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3IfFZKK0gJg&t

For those that might scold me for using an audio book, please keep in mind, I'm very new to Russian Literature, and I tend to struggle with the names, but no doubt, I still wish to learn how to say them properly. Also the audiobook reader is Robert Whitfield, and he is exceptional.
>>
>>8911566
>However, when it comes to the world of women, relationships, and marriage, The Prince seems more of a child infatuated with beauty than any truer understanding of love.

Yes. This is intentional. It's a critique (or, in softer terms, a musing on) the supposed unconditional love of god. What does that sort of love mean, if the same love could be applied to a child rapist and murderer, as to an innocent child? Would that sort of love have to be inherently shallow and ignorant? It's an interesting idea.

Myshkin isn't meant to be just a positive stand-in for God. The whole point of the character is to examine how "true" Christianity, Christian ideals and acting literally as Jesus would, would fly in modern (at the time) society.

At least, that's my reading of it. I wouldn't get too stuck on the Myshkin-Jesus thing as the only thing to pull from the novel. I ended up getting more from Natassya (probably spelled incorrectly, I'm terrible with these Russian names).

Garnett, the translation you're reading, isn't my favourite translation, the McDuff one is a lot better, but it's not catastrophically bad or anything.

Nothing wrong with audiobooks, actually quite a good idea for Russian lit IMO. I might try that with the next Russian lit book I read.
>>
>>8911613
Indeed, thank you for the reply.
You make excellent points of interest here.

I must admit, however, that I sometimes feel that Myskin is the only sane person amongst these cast of aristocratic characters. The women (nearly all of them) come off as bombastic, immature, loud, and unabashed. The men are equally unattractive (besides the General, who I find the most satisfying), with their shallow, and scheming ill behaviors.

Indeed, most of the time I feel as if Myskin is rather normal, and the rest are the idiots. But perhaps this is what the author is intending to reveal of Russian Aristocratic society. Perhaps Dostoevsky's book is a critic on the very society that he lived in himself.

I'm still not sure; not sure what to think. I will keep reading. I hope for something interesting to happen soon.
>>
>>8911647

>I hope for something interesting to happen soon.

I won't spoil anything of course, but I think you'll be satisfied on that front.

>I must admit, however, that I sometimes feel that Myskin is the only sane person amongst these cast of aristocratic characters. The women (nearly all of them) come off as bombastic, immature, loud, and unabashed. The men are equally unattractive (besides the General, who I find the most satisfying), with their shallow, and scheming ill behaviors.

>Indeed, most of the time I feel as if Myskin is rather normal, and the rest are the idiots. But perhaps this is what the author is intending to reveal of Russian Aristocratic society. Perhaps Dostoevsky's book is a critic on the very society that he lived in himself.

I think those are both very sharp takes on it. The book doesn't feel like it has a super clear "this is the theme/message" to me, more like it explores and presents certain interactions and issues, and lets the reader interpret how they will. I'm sure some fans of the book would strongly disagree with my, or your, take on it, but this isn't a high school text or anything; there's no singularly obvious answer to the questions it raises. The ending does kind of bring things into focus, but not in a way that dictates a message, just in a way that clarifies the kind of story. If that makes sense.
>>
i'm almost through part i. it's not as easy to dive into as crime and punishment or even notes from underground but the little tale about the prince and the children in swiss caring for maria hit pretty hard.
>>
>>8911959
I'm on page 363 now, and I can honestly say, that the chapter on Maria has been the most interesting/best part read. Everything else seems to be a "hidden" build up of something drastic to come; a somewhat, here are the characters true intentions. But I'm speculating. I will have more to say when I finish the book in a couple days.
>>
OP, please keep in mind that Myshkin is not just intended to be a Christ figure. Pay attention to the Don Quixote references in the book, and all the stuff about the "poor knight".
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.