[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Schopenhauer

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 1

File: schopen.jpg (183KB, 1721x2162px) Image search: [Google]
schopen.jpg
183KB, 1721x2162px
Where should one start?

Only philosophy I've read is Descartes, Hobbes and Platon

This >8893585 prior thread gave 0 informative answer, I thought /lit/ was the smartest 4chan board...
>>
Plato and Kant. I believe his introduction to his chief work tells you what is recommended before reading.
>>
>>8909711
Start with this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Problem_of_time
https://plato.stanford.edu/entries/parmenides/
https://arxiv.org/abs/1009.2157
>>
>>8909711
>Coming to 4chan for an answer
>Believing a board as a whole can be smart like you can measure the average IQ of every user
You fucked up.
>>
>>8909733

Right, supposing OP want to read The World as Will and Representation, Schopenhauer himself lists what's needed to understand his book in the preface. Namely: Kant, his book "On the fourfold root etc.", his own critique of Kant (usually to be found as an appendix), and Plato (optional).

However, everyone I know gets discouraged about the Kant requirement (let's be honest, it will take at least one year of study to understand the Critique of Pure Reason beyond the common misconceptions, and be able to appraise the possible interpretations), so they just start reading TWAWAR.

Since Schopenhauer is an extremely captivating writer they are able to finish the book convinced they have understood everything (a bit like what happens with Nietzsche).
>>
>>8909733

As this guy says:

>Critique of Pure Reason
>Plato
>His dissertation piece (On Vision and Colours)
>Bhagavad Gita (Optional)

The Bhagavad Gita provides some clue as to where Nietzsche's objections to Schopenhauer came from.

Towards the end of his life, Schopenhauer became more and more of an ascetic. He is even said to have tried meditating/etc.

Can you imagine some old German guy meditating in the 19th century?
>>
>>8909711
Don't. If you want to learn about Buddhism read actual Buddhist literature.
>>
>>8911856
You act like it's wrong to want to continue the legacy of those who attempted to spread wisdom.
>>
>>8911863
And you act like a pretentious fuck.
>>
Don't, your species is 100% useless demons #schopenhauer
>>
A familiarity with Kant is necessary, and therefore, any author necessary to gain that is too.

Other than that, The Upanishads may be helpful.
>>
Start with the greeks desu
>>
Considering this board believes Schopenhower was le depressive r9k suicide man, I wouldn't ask here.
>>
>>8911856
but maybe he doesnt want to learn buddism but schopenhauer. Schopenhauers thought as a continuation of Kants thought is much more interesting than any piece of eastern """philosophy""" could ever be.
>>
>>8912149
He really was though. Also his opinion on music was pretty autistic.
>>
>>8912150
schopenhauer loved eastern philosophy tho
>>
What to read of Plato?
>>
Start with the Aphorismen zur Lebensweisheit . No need to know the greeks for that one. Dont know the english title though.
>>
What the best translation of The World as Will and Representation?
>>
>>8912535
Payne
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.