[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Poetry /gen/

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1

File: blackoutpoetry_01.jpg (279KB, 736x981px) Image search: [Google]
blackoutpoetry_01.jpg
279KB, 736x981px
>Last poem you read

>Do you have any favourite poem?

>Thoughts on 'black-out poetry'
>>
That was terrible
Sentences don't hold up, and it doesn't feel like the "author" came up with anything other than what was already on the page
>>
I read Tennyson's "Ulysses" and memorized the first five lines to it. Will probably memorize the rest of it today, I guess.

The Iliad is by far my favorite poem.
>>
I bought a copy of Bloom's poetry anthology, and I'm currently reading his essay 'The Art of Reading Poetry' which is hard to follow at times but interesting.
I don't know much about poetry but one that always stuck with me:
Up! up! my Friend, and quit your books;
Or surely you'll grow double:
Up! up! my Friend, and clear your looks;
Why all this toil and trouble?

The sun above the mountain's head,
A freshening lustre mellow
Through all the long green fields has spread,
His first sweet evening yellow.

Books! 'tis a dull and endless strife:
Come, hear the woodland linnet,
How sweet his music! on my life,
There's more of wisdom in it.

And hark! how blithe the throstle sings!
He, too, is no mean preacher:
Come forth into the light of things,
Let Nature be your teacher.

She has a world of ready wealth,
Our minds and hearts to bless—
Spontaneous wisdom breathed by health,
Truth breathed by cheerfulness.

One impulse from a vernal wood
May teach you more of man,
Of moral evil and of good,
Than all the sages can.

Sweet is the lore which Nature brings;
Our meddling intellect
Mis-shapes the beauteous forms of things:—
We murder to dissect.

Enough of Science and of Art;
Close up those barren leaves;
Come forth, and bring with you a heart
That watches and receives.
>>
The Negro Speaks of Rivers by Langston Hughes

I like Paradise Lost more than anything else I think, or Pope writing on art: All Nature is but Art unknown to thee etc., or Wordsworth on London from Westminster bridge

I think that kind of erasure poetry is good as an exercise in exploring the original
I think you could write good allegorical poetry with the sort of filching that goes on in found poetry but I've not read any so
>>
>TFW you invent a movement in poetics
>TFW no one will publish you
>TFW people who follow your lead succeed
>TFW you languish in obscurity

2017 will be comfy at least.
>>
>>8907780
I've been reading Ode to Aphrodite by Sappho, John Keats' Odes, The Great Figure by William Carlos Williams, and Song of Myself by Whitman.

My favorite poem is probably Ode to a Nightingale

Garbage
>>
>>8907780
>>Last poem you read
Elegy in a Country Churchyard by Thomas Grey. 9/10
>>Do you have any favourite poem?
Tough to choose but probably Lycidas
>>Thoughts on 'black-out poetry'
Shit, as is any poetry concerned with its textual representation. Poetry is an oral, not a visual medium (as Pound says, "poetry atrophies the further it strays from music")
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.