[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Encyclopedic book on philosophy

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1

File: 0764551531.jpg (26KB, 300x376px) Image search: [Google]
0764551531.jpg
26KB, 300x376px
I'm looking for a book to brush on my knowledge of central concepts in philosophy as I haven't really read anything for some years apart from some essays on OOO.
So basically a book that introduces the important thoughts in philosophy and gives references for further reading.

inb4 pic related.
>>
The School of Life on Youtube is a pretty good start desu
>>
>>8902572
Thanks. I would prefer something that is written so that I can read it when I commute.
>>
>>8903389
"Sophie's world"

It's a philosophy 101 course badly disguised as an anticlimactic novel.
>>
>>8903431
don't read this op
>>
Russell Bertrand: A History of Western Philosophy

Useful if you're interested in western philosophy, as the name implies, but misses out a few important figures. It's a history more than an encyclopaedia, and it tackles less with the ideas of philosophy than with how they came about.

lol no the ideas feature a lot too.

alternatively try wikipedia
>>
>>8901230
pick one of these:

http://www.balliol.ox.ac.uk/admissions/undergraduate-admissions/philosophy-in-physics-and-philosophy-reading-list
>>
>>8903453
>>8903464
Thanks be based.
>>
https://docs.google.com/document/u/1/d/1y8_RRaZW5X3xwztjZ4p0XeRplqebYwpmuNNpaN_TkgM/pub
>>
>>8903453
>>8903453

Never recommend this piece of shit.

Russell is unbelievably off the mark when it comes to Nietzsche/etc.
>>
>>8901230
Just pick up some fucking Plato and read for Christ's sake. There is no "General Idea" of Philosophy.
>>
>>8903827
Then what's better?
>>
>>8904111
OP here, pls leave.
>>
>>8903822
Also, thank you sir.
>>
>>8903453
I started with this and in my interview to get into studying philosophy at university three years ago I impressed the professor by saying that Bertrand talks a lot of shit

I hadn't heard that from anyone and I had absolutely next to no knowledge of philosophy but even my young ass could tell he's full of garbage
>>
>>8903822
I read Bryan Magee book that's recommended on there and liked it a lot and am starting Plato now. Anthony Kenny also has some books that have been spoken of highly on here. I glanced at it and it is really good, but I like how Magee organized his book more and it was shorter so I went with that. I planned on moving onto early Greeks anyway so I didn't invest heavily into the overview of it all.
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.